U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 03:37 PM

711 posts, read 261,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Not everyone has an irrational fear of death, and the older you get the less you worry about it.

My mother died at 95. She was getting pretty elderly, but living independently with help from her family and hired help. When she was 94, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. If you are not familiar with it, treatment is ineffective. Mom also had a pacemaker coming up for a battery replacement. She made the entirely rational decision that she would rather die from heart failure than cancer, so she refused the new battery. The cardiologist told her she would die without the pacemaker, and she said that was exactly what she wanted.

The pacemaker died, and she didn't, though she got very weak. This was not her desired outcome, so she quit taking all her meds. That did it. She stroked out and died less than a month later. She let her grandkids, nieces, nephews, friends and neighbors know she was about to die. Everyone got to visit and say goodbye. I think it was a little shocking for the young folks, but those of us already past retirement age were supportive of her decision.

She could have possibly lived for another couple years, but what have been the point? The cancer would have progressed. She would have lived in daily agony, unable to care for herself. She met death on her own terms.
Hugs. I admire your way of thinking. Sorry for your loss though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 PM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I think maybe I meant to say that when it comes to suicide, people always speak ill of the person instantly as opposed to the murderer.

Again, all I'm saying is that it's rare to hear a murderer called "selfish" "coward" compared to a suicidal person.
No wed call a mass murderer worse names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or