Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 12:26 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I've been depressed since my tween years. My depression and anxiety are both treatment resistant. Therapy and medication have not been effective enough. So all I can say is I'm happy for you but your situation doesn't apply to others.
Everyone’s illness is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 01:52 PM

720 posts, read 428,619 times
Quote:
I've been depressed since my tween years. My depression and anxiety are both treatment resistant. Therapy and medication have not been effective enough. So all I can say is I'm happy for you but your situation doesn't apply to others.
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried alternative means to try and deal with it like meditation or yoga?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 PM

854 posts, read 520,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried alternative means to try and deal with it like meditation or yoga?
Sigh.

You're one of those 'have you tried" people. Have you tried actually listening when someone tells you they've tried everything?

Old 07-04-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Sigh.

You're one of those 'have you tried" people. Have you tried actually listening when someone tells you they've tried everything?
People saying they have tried everything, doesn't mean they have really tried everything. It only means they have tried everything they think is relevant.

Have you tried not judging people? maybe then you'll get over it.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:37 AM

854 posts, read 520,486 times
Quote:
People saying they have tried everything, doesn't mean they have really tried everything. It only means they have tried everything they think is relevant.

Have you tried not judging people? maybe then you'll get over it.
Pot kettle black. You're judging me and others who feel the sane way as I do about life and suicide. Your hostility is typical of those who consider themselves "positive people", many of whom are actually toxic and unable to see from a different perspective. These arguments would not occur if we just accepted our differences and didn't preach or shove unsolicited advice down people's throats who didn't ask for it to begin with.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
I really think depression is something you almost have to have had before you understand. Before my thankfully short period of intense depression, caused by a viral infection that changed my brain chemistry, I always thought that people should be able to change their lives in ways to reduce the depression.

It ain’t something you can yoga away.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Pot kettle black. You're judging me and others who feel the sane way as I do about life and suicide. Your hostility is typical of those who consider themselves "positive people", many of whom are actually toxic and unable to see from a different perspective. These arguments would not occur if we just accepted our differences and didn't preach or shove unsolicited advice down people's throats who didn't ask for it to begin with.
Unsolicited telling us your life events leads to unsolicited advice.

Accepting our differences and not caring about other peoples well-being is different, but that is just my opinion.
Arguments are healthy. It's how people go forward. Exchanging ideas and opinions.

@whogo> Exercise can change your brain chemistry. Likewise yoga and meditation can make your life less stressful thus changing the chemistry of your brain slowly. I'm not saying it's enough, I'm saying it's possible that it helps.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:10 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:

Exercise can change your brain chemistry. Likewise yoga and meditation can make your life less stressful thus changing the chemistry of your brain slowly. I'm not saying it's enough, I'm saying it's possible that it helps.
Good nutrition helps too. Certain supplements can help with and even alleviate depression and anxiety.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Not everyone has an irrational fear of death, and the older you get the less you worry about it.

My mother died at 95. She was getting pretty elderly, but living independently with help from her family and hired help. When she was 94, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. If you are not familiar with it, treatment is ineffective. Mom also had a pacemaker coming up for a battery replacement. She made the entirely rational decision that she would rather die from heart failure than cancer, so she refused the new battery. The cardiologist told her she would die without the pacemaker, and she said that was exactly what she wanted.

The pacemaker died, and she didn't, though she got very weak. This was not her desired outcome, so she quit taking all her meds. That did it. She stroked out and died less than a month later. She let her grandkids, nieces, nephews, friends and neighbors know she was about to die. Everyone got to visit and say goodbye. I think it was a little shocking for the young folks, but those of us already past retirement age were supportive of her decision.

She could have possibly lived for another couple years, but what have been the point? The cancer would have progressed. She would have lived in daily agony, unable to care for herself. She met death on her own terms.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Are you sure about that?

The article is 5 years out of date now and assisted suicide laws in some countries have changed but here is a list from 5 years ago of what were the suicide laws by country: https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/0...ws-by-country/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology