U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM

8,945 posts, read 13,722,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Anger, productively channelled, can be, and has been the impetus for important social change.

People who are not angered by injustice rarely effectively fight against it.
Agreed. There are certain things we have the right to be angry about and anger can actually be used productively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 04:46 PM

3,846 posts, read 1,778,061 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I can't speak for women, but my sense of the tone of this thread is that many women are expressing something more like anguish than anger. Brought on, IMO, by anger they can't express or can't use to bring about change, or too often, to keep themselves safe. To effectively set a boundary that will be respected, particularly by men.

So I don't think they're drumming up new anger. I think they're giving a pained voice to the old anger that's always been there. You'd hear that if you listened.

But I could be wrong. Maybe their mood causing cycles all get in sync even over the internet, and bears, or something

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-17-2019 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 04:57 PM

665 posts, read 201,690 times
I'm a white male and was not allowed to show anger growing up without being called an ******* or other negative things. I also grew up in the deep south and was regularly paddled by female teachers who had no problem letting me see just how angry and bitchy they felt about me. Was probably paddled over 300 times going through school, not a big trouble maker, just couldn't sit still and be quiet for an hour. Male teachers rarely paddled me and when they did they usually explained their reasoning, paddled me and then talked to me some more to let me know what they expected. The female teachers basically just took their anger out on me, sent me back into class red faced, and looked at me with a scowl the rest of the class.

So tired of this crap about women not being allowed to express anger but men are. I've seen plenty of women actually being ******* and losing their cool and no one ever stopped them or shamed them for it.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:39 PM

6,376 posts, read 3,616,897 times
Well men can discuss women's anger from the perspective of what it looks like and feels like to them. But only another woman can understand what it feels like.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 AM

5,745 posts, read 3,226,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
I've yet to see anyone make a convincing argument that what our society needs right now is more anger.
I don't think anyone could or would disagree. But do you say this to other men here on CD or IRL?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-13-2019 at 09:20 AM..

Old 07-13-2019, 09:24 AM

5,745 posts, read 3,226,457 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

A couple of years ago, I was driving in typical morning rush hour traffic on a local interstate. While moving into a lane further to the right in order to take an exit onto another interstate, I could see a truck in my rearview mirror, barrelling down the highway and moving into the lane I had just left.

The driver of that truck began angrily honking, and, thinking his anger was directed at me but not knowing why (I'm no Nervous Nellie behind the wheel), I honked back. He then began chasing me all over the road, weaving in and out traffic, windows rolled down, screaming and arms flailing.

After a minute or so, I finally could hear him yell, "I was honking at a garbage truck, not you, so [bleep] you!" He then sped off.

When I relayed this story to my 6' 7" friend, Bill, at a group breakfast an hour later, we both laughingly agreed that Interstate Tough Guy would NEVER have done to Bill what he did to me.

The moral of the story is that men have plenty of rage inside them, which they feel very confident expressing to women. They're far less confident, though, expressing it to other men.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-17-2019 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM

3,098 posts, read 963,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

When I relayed this story to my 6' 7" friend, Bill, at a group breakfast an hour later, we both laughingly agreed that Interstate Tough Guy would NEVER have done to Bill what he did to me.

The moral of the story is that men have plenty of rage inside them, which they feel very confident expressing to women. They're far less confident, though, expressing it to other men.
Blanket generalizations are a poor substitute for reason. In other words,
He who uses absolutes is ALWAYS wrong.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM

3,846 posts, read 1,778,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Blanket generalizations are a poor substitute for reason. In other words,
He who uses absolutes is ALWAYS wrong.
And Ironic. Sorry, your point is still valid.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 PM

8,788 posts, read 10,895,724 times
I think there's a fair amount of collective anger about larger issues than one's own smaller, personal issues. This anger you can channel into working and turning around the various injustices you see.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

9,866 posts, read 5,527,429 times
Hmmmmm,

I train to reach my maximum energy before the other person so to out accelerate and clobber them. I train to do so under control since I am "releasing weapons" and that should not be done out of control. As life goes on, more and more things are tied into this concept.

Further, there is, "Don't get mad, don't get angry, solve the problem.".

Perhaps such tight control of anger is "wrong" but on the other hand, I am the one with the firepower in my grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or