U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 03:55 PM

3,544 posts, read 1,355,757 times

Advertisements

a ethnic Chinese doctor in the US (which i liked, but she accepted a better offer and moved) told me:

1. all die. enjoy now.
2. no exercise. only so many heartbeats.
3. memory of good time bring peace and contentment.

well, that is how i remember her advice.
that is what i really liked about her.
no wishie-washie.

so...self-destructive might be someone else's "good memory".
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 04:38 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
a ethnic Chinese doctor in the US (which i liked, but she accepted a better offer and moved) told me:

1. all die. enjoy now.

no wishie-washie.

The problem with the part I bolded is that exercise actually helps your heart to beat stronger and more efficiently and hence decreases the heart rate and number of heart beats per minute, etc.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:39 PM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post

1. all die. enjoy now.

no wishie-washie.

I like this! I have artificial joints and they only come with "so many" uses, so I don't overdo it, LOL.

I agree, what some might call "self-destructive" were some of my best memories!

Old 07-03-2019, 06:35 PM

22,506 posts, read 11,587,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
How would you know?
Okay, only with a 99.9% certainty.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:45 PM

15,319 posts, read 17,767,956 times
My beloved wife passed on from lung cancer, which spread to her brain. She was in so much pain. They had her on liquid Morphine. Sue fought the cancer for a year with radiation & chemo. She couldn't beat it.
Sue began smoking at a young age-13. She passed on at age-52.

At my VA Hospital i was diagnosed with COPD, two years ago. I use Symbicort & Spiriva Respimat Inhalers. Pretty soon i might be using a POC (portable oxygen concentrator).

Below is a video of healthy lungs & smoker's lungs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69R0E_Rg_mQ

Smoking isn't worth it. Cancer is an Evil Disease.

Live in Peace...Harmony...Tranquility, my Friends.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:58 PM

8,766 posts, read 7,695,901 times
My sympathy to you. I've lost several friends to cancer from smoking. Its tough when they're still young.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:26 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
In the inception, it is. The parties or food in this case etc.
That would be too much quantity over quality- a problem that many Americans seem to have.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:34 AM

4,934 posts, read 2,277,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Inho, life is the greatest gift given to all people. Yet so many people repeatedly engage in behavior that is commonly know to be hazardous to health and likely to significantly shorten or end their lives. There is a long list of behaviors, mountain climbing, taking illegal drugs or alcohol to excess, smoking obesity, etc. I dont understand this. Maybe you do?
Risk taking behaviors can be part born from the immortality of youth & also a sign of despair. Daring the demons to catch you if they can, while almost hoping that they do. A weird & twisted feeling of ‘you think anything you can do will hurt me now?’ Sometimes it feels like hopelessness. ‘Why fight it, it’s inevitable.’ It takes a certain amount of confidence to decide that your not going out like this.

I am this person you speak of. I was terrified of myself even as a little girl. I had a dream when I was about 8 but in the dream I was a teenager, a passenger in a bright red muscle car with many other teenagers & it was dark & rainy. The car was careening down this slippery wet road; skidding & burning rubber & the radio was turned up loud. I knew we were smoking & drinking & laughing ... in a death trap in the middle of nowhere.

Suddenly, I was standing on the side of the road in my nightgown, in the dark & the rain, watching this car out of control, vrooming loudly towards me. It’s windows were rolled down & for a split second as it passed, I could see myself sitting there, oblivious & partying away.

I woke up in that way one wakes up from a nightmare; panting & sitting bolt upright & I jumped up & ran into my parents room screaming ‘Daddy! Don’t let me smoke!’

He was thoroughly confused & groggily said ‘Well, no. I hope not’. And I knew he didn’t understand so I said; “No, Daddy. I can’t grow up. Don’t let me grow up.” And I just went back to my room.

Before 5 years had passed; I was a ‘milk carton kid’; one of the many missing ‘children of the night’. It wasn’t a self-fulfilling prophecy; it’s only in retrospect that I remembered the dream full of ‘out of control’ symbolism.

You know what is weird. I also believe that life is a gift. Beyond that even; look at my posting history. I am pro-life, pro-natalist & believe that every life has value. Sacred. I’m appalled by the current social/cultural devaluation of life.

I don’t completely understand myself but I feel like my life experiences, which would fill a whole bookshelf of books, might give me some authority on the worth of the worthless. I just can’t stand hearing somebody call someone else that. Nobody is worthless but a lot of people don’t have anyone to tell them that.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:46 AM

6 posts, read 249 times
I am not addicted to drugs and alcohol. I am addicted to a life that God has gifted me.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM

78,593 posts, read 70,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Inho, life is the greatest gift given to all people. Yet so many people repeatedly engage in behavior that is commonly know to be hazardous to health and likely to significantly shorten or end their lives. There is a long list of behaviors, mountain climbing, taking illegal drugs or alcohol to excess, smoking obesity, etc. I dont understand this. Maybe you do?
I know of examples, where childhood trauma is at the bottom of it. Unresolved childhood PTSD (which is more common than anyone has thought) leads people to make poor decisions. It leaves them in a needy state, where they self-medicate with alcohol, or drugs, or food. Or other high-risk behavior, like dare-devil type stuff. Being hooked on an adrenalin rush.

A friend of mine recently passed away from complications of diabetes, and is a textbook case of this. Last year, we discussed the role of trauma, and potential sources of trauma in his early life, as the likely reason why he couldn't stick to a diet, and he agreed 100%. Studies have shown, that trauma in childhood tends to lead to poor health in adulthood, because of this sort of thing. People develop addictions, even if it's to something like "comfort food", whatever that means to them, because, well, they need comforting, due to that underlying trauma.

It's very sad. Now that great strides have been made in understanding and treating trauma, we can hope that in the future, there will be fewer premature deaths from avoidable causes, like unhealthy modes of self-medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or