U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 PM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times

Advertisements

Risky behavior would include senior citizens driving RV's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:55 AM

581 posts, read 193,827 times
Smoking, alcohol, starvation, self cutting, pushing too hard with exercise on too little.

All were (or are) ways I have used to cope with stress, self doubt, low self esteem, facing my own imperfections and inabilities and fears. They caused long term damage, but also had benefits as far as more energy, calming effect, helped me forget the present or put me in another state of mind, numbed me so I didn't feel pain. I didn't grow up in the healthiest household, and self care and love was not something really taught to me or that I learned from watching my parents. I've had to learn it along the way and am still a work in progress. This is not blaming my parents. They had very difficult lives and did not have tools to cope either. I also have a brain and a personality that is wired a certain way and there is no overcoming that, just learning to manage it. I don't smoke or drink anymore and haven't for years. I don't starve myself anymore though I am "careful" with food. I do still tend to exercise even when rest is called for (ie injuries, fever etc) as my anxiety and guilt at "resting" is too much to bear at times, but I am working on this.

I often get these vibes or feelings like I am more of a nuisance in society than a valued member and human being. I wish more people would make eye contact, smile, say hello once in a while, not continually cut me off in traffic for not going way over the speed, not judge me for the way I look or am. I'm not bubbly or outgoing, can't run 22 miles at a time or lift 100 lbs, but I am loyal, hard working, caring, and at least somewhat independent. But people don't "see" those qualities up front so I am often passed over for opportunities, and I am not one to shout out and make myself visible or brag about myself. So then I end up internalizing all this perceived rejection. I am very good at internalizing everything. To cope with all these negative and painful feelings I tend to "punish" myself. I wish I could focus more on all the positives and not let the negative feelings and judgment of others rule my life. I wish I could accept and work through negative feelings. But I am only human and I have flaws.

Old Today, 03:38 PM

21,856 posts, read 14,356,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
Smoking, alcohol, starvation, self cutting, pushing too hard with exercise on too little.

All were (or are) ways I have used to cope with stress, self doubt, low self esteem, facing my own imperfections and inabilities and fears. They caused long term damage, but also had benefits as far as more energy, calming effect, helped me forget the present or put me in another state of mind, numbed me so I didn't feel pain. I didn't grow up in the healthiest household, and self care and love was not something really taught to me or that I learned from watching my parents. I've had to learn it along the way and am still a work in progress. This is not blaming my parents. They had very difficult lives and did not have tools to cope either. I also have a brain and a personality that is wired a certain way and there is no overcoming that, just learning to manage it. I don't smoke or drink anymore and haven't for years. I don't starve myself anymore though I am "careful" with food. I do still tend to exercise even when rest is called for (ie injuries, fever etc) as my anxiety and guilt at "resting" is too much to bear at times, but I am working on this.

I often get these vibes or feelings like I am more of a nuisance in society than a valued member and human being. I wish more people would make eye contact, smile, say hello once in a while, not continually cut me off in traffic for not going way over the speed, not judge me for the way I look or am. I'm not bubbly or outgoing, can't run 22 miles at a time or lift 100 lbs, but I am loyal, hard working, caring, and at least somewhat independent. But people don't "see" those qualities up front so I am often passed over for opportunities, and I am not one to shout out and make myself visible or brag about myself. So then I end up internalizing all this perceived rejection. I am very good at internalizing everything. To cope with all these negative and painful feelings I tend to "punish" myself. I wish I could focus more on all the positives and not let the negative feelings and judgment of others rule my life. I wish I could accept and work through negative feelings. But I am only human and I have flaws.
You, and your strengths and your experiences are valuable to someone. Since you understand rejection, IMO, you are equipped to give acceptance to others, because you understand its value.

I think your voice here on City Data is valuable. Please never hesitate to post.

Old Today, 05:27 PM

581 posts, read 193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You, and your strengths and your experiences are valuable to someone. Since you understand rejection, IMO, you are equipped to give acceptance to others, because you understand its value.

I think your voice here on City Data is valuable. Please never hesitate to post.
Thank you so much silibran, much appreciated!

Old Today, 06:02 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I agree with silibran. I also appreciate your posts and apparently so do many others, based on the amount of rep posts you have compared to the number of posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or