U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 PM

8,761 posts, read 7,689,871 times

Advertisements

Inho, life is the greatest gift given to all people. Yet so many people repeatedly engage in behavior that is commonly know to be hazardous to health and likely to significantly shorten or end their lives. There is a long list of behaviors, mountain climbing, taking illegal drugs or alcohol to excess, smoking obesity, etc. I dont understand this. Maybe you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:01 PM

240 posts, read 27,213 times
Many activities have trade-offs. Why eat in restaurants? It's cheaper to cook at home. Why make your bed? (Do you tie your shoes after you take them off? If no, then why make your bed after you get up?)

Old 07-02-2019, 08:35 PM

7,227 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Inho, life is the greatest gift given to all people. Yet so many people repeatedly engage in behavior that is commonly know to be hazardous to health and likely to significantly shorten or end their lives. There is a long list of behaviors, mountain climbing, taking illegal drugs or alcohol to excess, smoking obesity, etc. I dont understand this. Maybe you do?
Mountain climbing doesn't belong on this list. It is not self-destructive in and of itself. Some people would consider it a high-risk activity, but absent some kind of accident, there is no long-term harm. My high risk activities over the years included flying airplanes, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute, bungee jumping, scuba diving and riding a motorcycle without a helmet. In the end, there were no temporary or permanent health issues associated with these activities. The other behaviors you mentioned will result in permanent cumulative damage to one's health and can be considered self-destructive.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:41 PM

I'll agree with the mt climbing, as long as the mountain is not overly difficult or high, but if someone progrsses to the himilayas, or someplace like the Eiger, thats pretty serious stuff.

Btw, the fatality rate on Mckinley is 3 per 1000 summit attempts. I'd call that dangerous.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,467,637 times
Because a lot of people, including myself, don't believe life is a gift. Also a lot of people just want to have fun, even if that fun is self destructive behavior. They don't think along the lines of life being a gift so I have preserve it at all costs. And like another poster said, many activities have trade offs.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 AM

I never thought being an alcoholic, a drug addict, or morbidly obese as being fun. Who knew?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:33 AM

15,481 posts, read 7,500,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I never thought being an alcoholic, a drug addict, or morbidly obese as being fun. Who knew?
In the inception, it is. The parties or food in this case etc.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM

10,522 posts, read 15,567,026 times
This is not a simple question.
1. many do not realize that their particular behavior is damaging to their own body. They simply follow the crowd and the crowd says - pleasantry by all means and at any expense. Dedicate a day and skim through movie trailers and TV shows. What do you see? Smoking, drinking, sex, unhealthy eating, illegal behavior (as far as you can get away with it, who cares how you get rich) and so on. This lifestyle is presented as normal, fashionable and to be pursued. Same goes for patently dangerous sports activities. Adrenaline junkies. Majority of followers do not have wits enough or self consciousness enough to resist - as who wants to be ostracized? Then habit and addiction develops and for many, it is too late.
2. many come into this world with inclinations. To a specific addiction. Specific behavioral pattern. It is much easier understood, if you follow path of re existences of the same Self through innumerable lves on Earth.
3. many do realize the harm but, to stay socially accepted, follow the crowd. they "get it" but can't tolerate loneleness or, do not find company of the right people good enough.

4. many succumb to the pull of the Nature. Nature does not have any way to get any "excitement" outside of one provided through human beings. Elementals and ghouls do not have "soul" of their own. They do not have senses of their own. They only obtain them from a human being, by interacting with human nervous system. That "pull", showing itself as cravings, is sometimes very hard to overcome.
5. egregores. They control their feeding grownds.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM

11,828 posts, read 7,293,564 times
I don't have any chemical vices or addictions besides smoking. I have never been drunk, and do not do drugs. I do enjoy caffeine, but I don't feel that it's something I need or want to quit for my health or any other reason, and I know I could do without it if I really had to. I'd just rather not.

But I can tell you why I smoke. It got its hooks in me when I was 15. At that age, the brain's not fully developed and in particular the part that assesses the consequences and long term ramifications of your choices, and allows you to be "wise" is simply not fully functioning yet. So there's this sense of invincibility, that there is no mistake one can make that can't be sorted later on, and that tomorrow doesn't really matter that much. I used to say, "So it will take years off my life, those are what, the incontinence years? Fine. Take 'em. I'm going to enjoy my today instead." Well now, at age 40, I don't really want to lose those years. I have struggled to quit, sometimes making it months at a time, but lapsed back into it again and again. Nicotine is one of the most intense chemical addictions one can have, and it is very hard and very stressful to stop doing it. As they say though, when you hit a certain point of readiness, if you want to quit, you REALLY want to quit, you just do. Maybe I just haven't arrived there yet. I know that I've had other stressors taking up a certain amount of my coping bandwidth, and dealing with my psychology being massively out of whack due to nicotine withdrawal, has not been a thing I could manage along with the rest at various times.

I do it because I'm addicted. I'm addicted because at a young age, I didn't take the idea of addiction seriously. Also I was very melodramatic, as teenagers are wont to be, and the night I started smoking my boyfriend had broken up to me so it felt like it was the end of the world and nothing mattered. Youth...truly, it is wasted on the young.

But aside from that, if I am behaving in a self destructive way, it's generally out of depression. I have episodes of it where I struggle, and bad thoughts lead to bad behaviors. Not eating, smoking too much, sleeping too little or way too much, isolating myself, things like that. I think that there are simply times where a person's mental state can make them vulnerable to self-destructive impulses. I've always said though, feeding into a depressive spiral feels almost indulgent to me, in a perverse kind of way. Like devoting a whole lot of attention to my own self even if it's bad attention. Maybe that could be, because my "normal" is not to devote a ton of positive attention to myself, to be so "low maintenance" in general that once in a while negative self-focus feels better than none at all, like a naughty child just needing attention from neglectful parents. Who knows...

Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 PM

22,491 posts, read 11,581,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Mountain climbing doesn't belong on this list. It is not self-destructive in and of itself. Some people would consider it a high-risk activity, but absent some kind of accident, there is no long-term harm. My high risk activities over the years included flying airplanes, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute, bungee jumping, scuba diving and riding a motorcycle without a helmet. In the end, there were no temporary or permanent health issues associated with these activities. The other behaviors you mentioned will result in permanent cumulative damage to one's health and can be considered self-destructive.
I took illegal drugs as a youth with no long term effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or