U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 02:50 AM

2,639 posts, read 796,264 times

Advertisements

Well? Why does it happen?

I understand that if we keep ignorance uncheck in society a lot of danger would ALSO be unchecked with that, so in one way it makes sense to give people a backlash for the ignorance of others so that they can avoid deceiving others in the long run, I mean that's obvious for anyone with common sense

But I am talking just about simple comments on i guess topics such as history, religion, politics or science perhaps

Like I am not saying not to encourage the other person to research more into whatever base of assertion they're basing that opinion or comment on, but there is a BIG difference between correcting someone and then getting all TRIGGER-happy like if they did something morally or legally wrong.

But why does this happen? Is it just another way to show tough love to the person who needs to learn more on a certain subject matter about that particular statement or comment? And if so, are there alternative ways to convince a person that they need an education on that rather then going ape **** about it?

Thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 03:06 AM

37,968 posts, read 55,724,604 times
From your title:
Why crime should trigger people happy?
But back to your topic - some people are ignorant about such universally accepted basics that they can only trigger a head shake and rolling eyes. It's almost embarrassing to believe that such people actually exist, would find and register to Internet forums to ask such dumb questions, but have not a miniscule of common sense to just search for the answers alone.
There are seemingly "legit" questions that people on forums are happy to discuss, and there are questions that make everyone else stop and think: it is real? Is that a troll? How come that a person couldn't know that?
It's even worse when such persons come here and instead of asking makes just a bold statement and insist that's the truth...

While ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge, education or understanding - motivated ignorance is when others choose not to educate themselves out of fear.
Motivated ignorance can be simply defined as when people don't want to know the facts.
A self-deception occurs when individuals believe false things with complete conviction.
Often, it is difficult to judge whether somebody is willfully ignorant or truly deluded, though.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:17 AM

7,094 posts, read 2,911,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post

I understand that if we keep ignorance uncheck in society a lot of danger would ALSO be unchecked with that, so in one way it makes sense to give people a backlash for the ignorance of others so that they can avoid deceiving others in the long run, I mean that's obvious for anyone with common sense

But I am talking just about simple comments on i guess topics such as history, religion, politics or science perhaps

Like I am not saying not to encourage the other person to research more into whatever base of assertion they're basing that opinion or comment on, but there is a BIG difference between correcting someone and then getting all TRIGGER-happy like if they did something morally or legally wrong.

But why does this happen? Is it just another way to show tough love to the person who needs to learn more on a certain subject matter about that particular statement or comment? And if so, are there alternative ways to convince a person that they need an education on that rather then going ape **** about it?

Thoughts
OK, a thought...after trying to read this I either need coffee or a translator.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
OK, a thought...after trying to read this I either need coffee or a translator.
I am sure it being midnight played a role rofl hahaha

Old 07-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
From your title:
But back to your topic - some people are ignorant about such universally accepted basics that they can only trigger a head shake and rolling eyes. It's almost embarrassing to believe that such people actually exist, would find and register to Internet forums to ask such dumb questions, but have not a miniscule of common sense to just search for the answers alone.
There are seemingly "legit" questions that people on forums are happy to discuss, and there are questions that make everyone else stop and think: it is real? Is that a troll? How come that a person couldn't know that?
It's even worse when such persons come here and instead of asking makes just a bold statement and insist that's the truth...

While ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge, education or understanding - motivated ignorance is when others choose not to educate themselves out of fear.
Motivated ignorance can be simply defined as when people don't want to know the facts.
A self-deception occurs when individuals believe false things with complete conviction.
Often, it is difficult to judge whether somebody is willfully ignorant or truly deluded, though.

Well why did I exemplify that a crime should happy trigger people?

Well because either it could have involved endangering someone or if we are talking victimless crimes, because it just cost the police more taxpayer money and wasted effort?

So motivated 'ignorance' I guess is the key here, huh?

But my question is, even people who don't know such universal concepts, is being hard on them still the key? Imo I wouldn't want to always be that way, it could do dis-service and provide the person who is trying to learn with more doubt or it is more likely to make them I guess overconfident

And by overconfident meaning that the person is more likely to feel like they're still right or correct and make themeselves feel like they're just being mobbed or ganged on.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:08 PM

290 posts, read 42,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post

Thoughts
According to officials crime happening makes people 69% more trigger happy but saying something dumb only makes them 62% more trigger happy so the question isn't even valid.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
According to officials crime happening makes people 69% more trigger happy but saying something dumb only makes them 62% more trigger happy so the question isn't even valid.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:11 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,355,757 times
69% trigger 62% which makes 131%?

Old 07-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
69% trigger 62% which makes 131%?
That's probably the correct equation lol

Anyway, do you have a theory regarding this? Could it also be that some people don't appreciate that it took them sometimes sacrifice to learn something properly and probably way more effort while someone thinks they immediately got something off the internet?

Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
From your title:

So may I ask what's the difference between motivated ignorance and intentional ignorance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology