U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 03:18 PM

714 posts, read 263,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Absolutely not. Belgium may as well just hand over their ‘will to live’ card. Why stop there? Put the whole territory up for auction. Nah, that takes planning. More like ‘Curb & Carry’.

Maybe if citizens get depressed enough, militant extremists can save their arms to use on us.

You are kind of an example of exactly why this should never happen. You are ASD, correct? Me too. I understand how a lifetime spent always on the outside looking in, can impact a person. Constantly misunderstanding & being misunderstood. Anxiety to the point of fatigue.

But some of us, like my son, are willing to fight for their place in society. He’s spent the majority of his life being unable to say ‘I’m hurting. Thirsty. Hot. Tired ...” but he has a sense of purpose. He is proud of his YouTube & Deviant Art accounts & of his little group of followers. He loves swimming & drawing & the child who couldn’t talk, can write silly scripts for his planned animated show: “Luke’s Adventures’. He draws himself, (the starring role, of course) as a teenage kid wearing shorts & a t-shirt, with crazy brown hair & a smile on his face.

He has struggles. He’s a teenager. He gets depressed. When I die, he will require 24/hr a day care that will require taxpayer dollars. If I am not here; who will save him from being ‘assisted’, if we were to have this option? Or the other millions of disabled? What is the potential for this to be abused?
Maybe that's because your son has you he has special interests. I don't have anyone. I most of the negative traits of autism but none of the positive traits. My existence is hell. A lonely hell and I'm on borrowed time. I'll be on the streets at some point but I'd rather be dead. We can take steps to make sure it isn't abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 03:44 PM

413 posts, read 81,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Mental illness by definition implies that a person is not in their sound mind[...]
That's incorrect. Mental illness is an umbrella term for a vast range of psychiatric conditions that manifest in different ways in different people. Having a diagnosis of a psychiatric condition doesn't mean that one is automatically considered non compos mentis. This is assessed separately by medical professional on a need to know basis and can be challenged in court.

I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK all you need to do to demonstrate decision making competency in a medical setting is to show that a) you understand information presented to you; b) you are able to retain this information and recall it upon request; and c) you can assess the pros and cons of that information. Doesn't matter how insane the decision itself is, what matters is that you are able to navigate the above steps in order to evaluate it in full.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:00 PM

6,316 posts, read 3,578,007 times
"I don't know how it works in the US . . ."

What I posted is a summary of the legal definition of mental illness in the United States.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:30 PM

413 posts, read 81,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
"I don't know how it works in the US . . ."

What I posted is a summary of the legal definition of mental illness in the United States.
Any chance you could provide the source?

Old 07-07-2019, 06:38 PM

10,186 posts, read 4,062,362 times
I'm uncomfortable with assisted suicide for those who are fully capable of going to the grocery store and getting enough meds to ease themselves out of this life comfortably.

They can do it themselves, and should, if they choose that.

Assisted suicide, IMHO, is for people who are immobile and incapacitated and can't obtain the meds by themselves, and have to rely on someone else to help them.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:16 PM

1,432 posts, read 801,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
What is the potential for this to be abused?

Ummmm, huge.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:31 PM

714 posts, read 263,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Ummmm, huge.
There is abuse going on now. It's cruel to put people in situations where they're either forced to live or forced to commit suiicde because things won't get better. It's inhumane. We deserve better.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:03 PM

1,432 posts, read 801,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
There is abuse going on now. It's cruel to put people in situations where they're either forced to live or forced to commit suiicde because things won't get better. It's inhumane. We deserve better.

I don't know what your overall situation is but I read that you drink half a bottle of vodka per day. I don't know if it will get better if you stop, but I do know that it will never get any better if you don't.

I watched a man drink himself to death in 6 months. His wife left in November, he switched from beer to liquor, and was dead in May. I definitely don't recommend that route. The more he drank, the more miserable he got.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:29 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm uncomfortable with assisted suicide for those who are fully capable of going to the grocery store and getting enough meds to ease themselves out of this life comfortably.

They can do it themselves, and should, if they choose that.

Assisted suicide, IMHO, is for people who are immobile and incapacitated and can't obtain the meds by themselves, and have to rely on someone else to help them.
What meds can you buy over the counter that are absolutely certain to kill you and not leave you simply throwing up or at best, awake but unable to move? Certainly, not a guaranteed way to go.

I'm all for this. My sister had schizophrenia and wanted to die for years and seriously tried to kill herself many times. She did finally succeed by hoarding her meds and ODing. She was sane enough to know she wanted to die and stop the suffering.

I also think Altzheimer patients should have the right to die. My mother is in an inpatient memory facility where she can't leave. If I was her, I'd want the right to choose to die on her own terms. As it is, she's just waiting to die and the facility is just hoping she'll live long enough to keep the payments coming. They'll do their best to make sure she lives a long time, because she has plenty of money to pay for it (managed by a conservator).

I also want the choice to go when I'm done. The best part of my life is over. I find ways to entertain myself every day, but chronic pain is no fun and it's just going to get worse. I'm not ready to go yet, I plan to at least wait until my dog leaves me. After that, it's up to me.

Maybe I'll start saving up for a trip to Belgium. Go see Europe for the first time and then say sayonara in Belgium.

I also think it's kinder not to leave a mess somewhere or have friends left behind imagining some terrible final scenario. If they knew you left peacefully by choice, in a clean facility, it seems like it would be easier for others to accept, too.

The whole notion of forcing people to stay alive until all medical options have played out, regardless of what someone wants or how much they are suffering, is so barbaric, and it's ironic that it's based on religion.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:58 PM

4,955 posts, read 2,284,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Maybe that's because your son has you he has special interests. I don't have anyone. I most of the negative traits of autism but none of the positive traits. My existence is hell. A lonely hell and I'm on borrowed time. I'll be on the streets at some point but I'd rather be dead. We can take steps to make sure it isn't abused.
Well you sure can’t if you check out this way! Don’t misunderstand; I’m not trying to minimize his disability as delightfully spectrummy because that’s incredibly defeating for the severely impaired. And he is severely autistic. I am not exaggerating to say that I dodge his blows about 30-50 times a day & he is just 4 inches shy of reaching the 6’7” height that has been predicted for him (he is only 15).

I’ve researched enough to know that as long as I keep him off the psychotropics (including antidepressants), that at around the age of 25 his puberty induced aggression will subside (Yay only 10 more years?) but until then, I honestly can’t imagine how someone who didn’t love him to pieces the way that I do, wouldn’t just start to think that he was just a hopeless threat to society.

Is it a stretch to fear that a law like that could result in his demise? Probably a stretch. Just not an impossible stretch.

You can’t possibly have ALL the negative ASD traits; you are communicating to me right now; well enough to where my heart is breaking for you. You know what Luke does when he is in pain? His brain reverses the signals & he giggles uncontrollably. He has literally gone from giggling all afternoon, into emergency surgery by that night. That’s not exactly a great hand to be dealt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Ummmm, huge.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology