U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times

Advertisements

I take 2 Tylenol PM's (without the Acetamaphine) plus 5 mg. of Melatonin, and once a week I throw in a Flexeril. I generally sleep 8-9 hours.

I believe it! I believe it! Sleep is very healing to the body!

And how I wish I could sleep 10 hours a day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 AM

655 posts, read 177,457 times
You can not sleep as your mind is “racing” going over the problems you are having right now.
You could try sort of like self-hypnosis: tell your mind, that you are aware of the problems, right down 2-3 major points regarding your problems on a piece of paper and say that you will not think about it tonight- but will start thinking about it in the morning, after you take your shower, coffee, on the way to work- etc.

Then do what other people suggested: go to sleep at the same time, hopefully around 9-10, exclude all lights, make sure the room is cool, remove all electronics, esp phone from your bedroom. Count sheep, or say a short prayer repeatedly.
If you still can not fall asleep- get up, walk out of your bedroom- have a small light carbohydrates snack, possibly with a small glass of warm milk and honey, read a few pages.
Repeat to yourself again, that you won’t think of your problems as you will do that after the shower in the morning.
Try to go to bed again.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 AM

23 posts, read 3,750 times
I hope that the OP is sleeping now, but just in case he's not, here's my sleep remedy - a TV show or a lecture on at a very low volume. It has to be something that's interesting but not so exciting that it will keep me up - and I'm generally asleep within 15-20 minutes - sometimes faster. I find geology lectures are great for this, as long as the lecturer is interesting.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 AM

771 posts, read 396,622 times
Thanks for the advice guys and gals. I totally forgot about benadryl. That stuff kicks my butt! However, i sat down to do paperwork last night when i got home and woke up at daylight still sitting at the desk, almost 12 hours sleep in the books. Thank god. Going to hit the benadryl tonight and try for another 8hrs.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 AM

651 posts, read 158,765 times
Yes, I use benadryl and sleep like a baby. Turning down the lights and relaxing an hour before bed helps as well, as does comfortable weather.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM

2,740 posts, read 725,012 times
There has been some concern about using antihistamines like benadryl---they are associated with Alzheimers/dementia, although it hasn't been proven that they cause it. Makes me feel groggy the next morning, especially if I take it too late. Benadryl can make you feel drowsy but doesn't provide deep sleep. Only your sleep drive can actually make you sleep.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM

3,899 posts, read 1,655,140 times
I talked to my doctor about insomnia today.
She suggested experimenting with melatonin, chamomile, and valerian.

I used to use benadryl, but stopped when I read about the link to dementia.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM

11,301 posts, read 21,760,664 times
I used to take ambien for many years. Even though it was a very low dose -- like around 3 mg after cutting the pills, it was still too much for my system. I could feel the damage in daytime fatigue and if I ever took more than 5 mg I had horrible night eating episodes. I asked my doctor for something less harmful and he prescribed Trazadone, 50 to 100 mg. I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it's been a godsend because it got me off the ambien, which I was psychologically addicted to for years.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM

78,733 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I used to take ambien for many years. Even though it was a very low dose -- like around 3 mg after cutting the pills, it was still too much for my system. I could feel the damage in daytime fatigue and if I ever took more than 5 mg I had horrible night eating episodes. I asked my doctor for something less harmful and he prescribed Trazadone, 50 to 100 mg. I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it's been a godsend because it got me off the ambien, which I was psychologically addicted to for years.
I found Lunesta to be much gentler than Ambien, yet still effective.

Trazodone is a Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. Great, if it works for you. I'm not able to use SRI's.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 AM

38,202 posts, read 14,924,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Thanks for the advice guys and gals. I totally forgot about benadryl. That stuff kicks my butt! However, i sat down to do paperwork last night when i got home and woke up at daylight still sitting at the desk, almost 12 hours sleep in the books. Thank god. Going to hit the benadryl tonight and try for another 8hrs.
Glad you got some sleep.

When I have problems turning off my racing mind, I give it something else to focus on.

Boring podcasts often work.

Youtube videos of waves crashing against the shore.

Oprah and Chopra have some meditation tapes that do it every time. Never make it to the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or