Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 AM

971 posts, read 688,204 times

Advertisements

I was just sitting here trying to remember the last time I slept and i can't remember, maybe July 3rd. I am exhausted. Barely keep my eyes open on the commute home, but after that, forget it. I take a shower and go to bed and bam, wide awake. This morning slept from 5-5:30 right before the alarm went off. Sleeping pills do nothing. Beer only makes it worse, then I lay in a puddle sweating all night.

A lot going on in my life right now and my mind won't shut down at night. You would think i would either die or go to sleep at some point after a week with no sleep. Anyone else have a sleep issue and what is the cure??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 12:49 PM

859 posts, read 704,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I was just sitting here trying to remember the last time I slept and i can't remember, maybe July 3rd. I am exhausted. Barely keep my eyes open on the commute home, but after that, forget it. I take a shower and go to bed and bam, wide awake. This morning slept from 5-5:30 right before the alarm went off. Sleeping pills do nothing. Beer only makes it worse, then I lay in a puddle sweating all night.

A lot going on in my life right now and my mind won't shut down at night. You would think i would either die or go to sleep at some point after a week with no sleep. Anyone else have a sleep issue and what is the cure??

-It would be difficult if something happened without an obvious reason. In your case, that's is the reason (that I colored in red); if you could handle it or make it less, things will return fine as usual.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Please go to a doctor and get some help before you fall asleep in the car and kill yourself or someone else.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:57 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:

There are all sorts of ways to "prepare" yourself for sleep, both mentally and physically. Other than pills, what have you tried? This is a fairly frequent thread on the Health & Wellness forum so you might search there or post there for other suggestions. Everything from too much screen time too late, not watching the late night news, specific lighting, what, when, and how much you eat, types of physical relaxation, when or when not to do aerobic exercise, meditation, supplements like melatonin, controlling noise, room temp, your bed, etc. You mentioned a shower...if its too cold or too hot that might just wake you up physically right before you want the opposite.

FWIW, when I have a lot on my mind (can't shut down the laptop that is parked on my shoulders) I find it helps me to "sort" all the topics into categories and plan attacks on them differently.

For example:

If I'm constantly worrying about forgetting to say or do something, I dump all of the items out of my brain by writing them down...NOT on a device, on paper. More screen time later at night can keep you awake. Keep a pad by my bed so I don't have to get UP to add something that crops up as I'm starting to relax. If they are listed, I know they are "saved" and can stop worrying about forgetting.

If I'm wrestling with a relationship and keep "reminding" or rehearsing what I want to say to the person, whether I should or not, I write them a letter. Pour out my heart, write and re-write until the important points get captured. I may never send that letter, but at least I dumped it out of my head.

If I'm sorting through a bunch of decisions that need to be made, sort them into categories: decisions that are huge, life changing versus decisions that aren't.

The little ones...MAKE the decision, stop second-guessing it, and move on. What really will happen if you don't pick the right answer? Chances are not much that's too terrible. Get them off the list. Empty them out of your working memory for good.

The big ones...if I can't make progress on them on my own, admit it and get some help or feedback from someone who can help. The admitting is often the biggest hurdle.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-10-2019 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 03:03 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Damn, sorry to hear, buddy. I don't have a solution, all I got is my empathy.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:04 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Hey there,

I've been having a major sleep problem for a year. Pills don't do anything. I finally did CBTI (cognitive behavior therapy) where you restrict the time you go to sleep to build up your sleep drive, wake up at the same time every day, never take naps, and get out of bed if you can't fall asleep in 20 minutes. I was doing so much better at the end of the 8 week program, falling asleep quickly and mostly staying asleep. Getting 7 hours instead of just a couple of hours (even had some total sleepless nights). But it's back, so I'll try again. You'd need to keep a sleep diary.

There's an online insomnia forum:

https://insomniacoach.com/forum/

A sleep coach posts daily videos with tips:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL5...A2j_Vsl5625shQ

And this sleep doctor has daily videos---he is very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_t...n0CfD0xAbZPNDg

Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
It is really dangerous (to yourself and others) to drive when you are sleep deprived.

There are a lot of natural remedies for sleep: Magnesium, Lavender oil, Cammomile (sp.?) Tea - and if you live in a state where pot is legal, indica strains/edibles.

Edit: Assumed you are an adult, if not, forget the pot recommendation.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 07-10-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 05:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Depends. How old are you? What do you typically eat for dinner? Depending on other factors, sometimes too many carbs or sweets in the afternoon or evening can hinder sleep. If you're past 40, your parasympathetic nervous system (the calming neurotransmitters) could be deficient.

Or it could be stress. Aside from "prep for sleep" recommendations others have posted, you could try meditating for 10 minutes twice daily. The trick to calming the mind for that, is to take very slow, deep breaths, engaging the diaphragm, as if you're directing the breath not into the lungs, but into the belly. Then do a similarly slow, controlled release. Repeat a few times. This engages the parasympathetic nervous system, and turns off the stress hormones.

Controlling stress in this way during the day, will help you be calmer at night.

P.S. Alcohol is a stimulant. Don't use alcohol, caffeine or sugar after the lunch hour.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:

I suffer from insomnia too. I really feel your pain. It's a weird place to be. It's like some alternative reality. Once, when I took myself off Ambien, I went two weeks without sleeping. It was the creepiest thing. I seriously thought that I had forgotten how. I ended up smoking weed to get to sleep. I so understand your frustration.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM

110 posts, read 88,696 times
If you can't shut down, get up, work on a project, be productive, read a book. I started sleeping better when I began to use magnesium oil, it really made a difference for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology