U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:09 PM

172 posts, read 91,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I've never tried AA but every alcoholic I know who has says it's ineffective and/or depressing.

I don't know one person who says it works for them.

Not saying it doesn't work, just saying what I've heard.

I personally don't feel 12 step thing would work for me.
Mister- ever heard of Baclofen? Maybe instead of the benzos you should try to talk to your doctor about this? It can be the miracle for many with alcohol problems - serious ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 PM

1,193 posts, read 596,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
Mister- ever heard of Baclofen? Maybe instead of the benzos you should try to talk to your doctor about this? It can be the miracle for many with alcohol problems - serious ones.
Never heard of it but I will look into it! Thanks!

I'm doing great now, though. Completely sober, no desire to drink. I have a wedding to go to this weekend with an open bar--I doubt I'll even drink.

I haven't been "sick" in quite a long time, like I said 95% of the time it's under control.

My problem is that if I'm ever distressed or having a big problem, I go straight for the bottle and don't stop. I'm working on dealing with those triggers.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 PM

611 posts, read 128,171 times
Quote:
I doubt I'll even drink.
This means you will.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
This means you will.
Psssh. You don't know me. I can't even remember the last time I had a drink, and that includes other weddings.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM

I don't need to know you. You already told us about yourself:

Quote:
I needed hospitalization,
I've had severe withdrawal with the tiny hallucinations
metal mouth, liver and kidney pains,
'm lucky I survived the DTs
I'm lucky to be alive
I'm an alcoholic
I wish I never had a sip of alcohol in my entire life
What helps me is never having hard liquor in the house

Old 07-30-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I don't need to know you. You already told us about yourself:
Yes and those things were years ago, things have been fine for years. I really don't appreciate your rush to judgement. I'm sure you have crosses to bear in some way or another.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Yes and those things were years ago, things have been fine for years. I really don't appreciate your rush to judgement. I'm sure you have crosses to bear in some way or another.
Go ahead. Start drinking. It's not my physical and mental health.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Go ahead. Start drinking. It's not my physical and mental health.
What is your problem? My health is fine, I work out an hour and a half a day 5 days a week. Exercise does wonders for physical and mental health.

I'm on here to help others and myself. If my story can help one person, then I'm glad. I'm not here to pass judgement on people struggling/have struggled with addiction.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:09 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,737,805 times
Quote:
I haven't been "sick" in quite a long time, like I said 95% of the time it's under control.

My problem is that if I'm ever distressed or having a big problem, I go straight for the bottle and don't stop. I'm working on dealing with those triggers.
You likely go straight to the bottle because you've developed distorted thoughts that pop up when you're distressed or having a big problem in life. For example: "I don't want to drink, but I need this right now." The belief underlying this self talk might be something like: "I can't handle stress without alcohol." Yet many people who are no longer alcohol dependent have found more effective ways of dealing with stress and the big problems.

Since I quit drinking in 1992, I've gone through stressors like the death of my sister, layoffs, being unemployed for an extended period, diagnoses of atrial fibrillation and prostate cancer. Never reached for the bottle during all these stressful periods - though there might be passing thoughts about it. Point being, you don't *need* that drink to deal with life and you don't have to be a slave to your self-talk, the reason you believe this is the script you've developed convincing yourself that you do. The way to change this is to change your scripts for stressful situations and life problems.

The SMART self-help program mentioned by others is one way to do this:

https://www.smartrecovery.org/

If you can't do it on your own, look for a cognitive behavioral therapist who specializes in substance abuse.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 AM

Just finishing up this book on Buzz Aldrin who was a hard core alcoholic through the 1970s. Probably 1/3 of the book is his experiences with alcoholism and depression. Interesting guy. Graduated 3rd in his class from West Point, earned a doctorate at MIT, and of course, walked on the moon.

Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZk5uxirGA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology