U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:34 PM

6,434 posts, read 2,159,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Never heard of it but I will look into it! Thanks!

I'm doing great now, though. Completely sober, no desire to drink. I have a wedding to go to this weekend with an open bar--I doubt I'll even drink.

I haven't been "sick" in quite a long time, like I said 95% of the time it's under control.

My problem is that if I'm ever distressed or having a big problem, I go straight for the bottle and don't stop. I'm working on dealing with those triggers.
Are you aware of "kindling"? Subsequent withdraw gets worse.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 PM

607 posts, read 128,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Are you aware of "kindling"? Subsequent withdraw gets worse.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf
It didn't mention it but I wonder if age plays any part. That is, withdrawal and hangovers are worse as we get older. I would think a 22 year old can recover from drinking a lot less painfully than a 58 year old.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:45 AM

23,843 posts, read 17,754,973 times
Probably.

I didn't start drinking until my early 20s. I had a beer or glass of wine here or there, but it never really "took." Craft beer from across the country started showing up here in the late 2000s and I really liked it.

I made an ass of myself a lot in college from drinking. There was a deli across the street that would serve $1-$2 long island teas a lot. I'd have time between classes and go over there and drink. I might have my last class at 3, then an evening class at 6, and spent the time in between drinking at the bar, showing up drunk to the last class. For some reason, I loved mixing Disarronno and orange juice. I'd go through bottles of that and some vodka.

I only drink beer these days. I might drink 4/5 nights a week, usually a sixer. I probably drink too much but still way better than I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This is a blanket belief which has no scientific foundation. There is definitely a physiological dependence on alcohol which can occur regardless of whether you have the predisposition to abuse alcohol in particular or not. Same as caffeine or any other psychoactive drug.

Humans have been consuming fermented beverages (i.e.- wine) for at least 4,000 years if not more. So why do people think only a limited population has the "alcoholism gene"? Consumption has always been widespread until recently babies were given small amounts of hard liquor as an expectorant and to potentially solve other issues like colic.

As with everything else in our health we need to go back to 10,000 B.C. and stop relying on just the last 200 years for everything that ails us.
You really have to be going at it hard, usually with hard alcohol, to get physically dependent on alcohol to the point of DTs, etc. My grandfather was a very heavy drinker for decades. Mostly bourbon, though he had more beer and less bourbon as he aged. He had a heart attack at 75 and ended up going through full blown alcohol withdrawals while in the hospital recovering from the heart attack.

I drink a lot of beer and will take a week or so off sometimes. I always feel much better when I'm not drinking heavily and apparently don't drink heavily enough to get the physical dependence.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 AM

23,843 posts, read 17,754,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
If you can't stop at two drinks a day, you need to stop completely so that drinking is no longer on your mind.
The problem with that person is that they are getting so drunk to the point they become belligerent.

When sober, I'm not easy to "set off." I can take a lot of abuse and name calling, but eventually, I will have enough and explode. Once I throw my fit, my "frustration gauge" resets and I'm fine.

When I'm drunk, that "frustration gauge" is like 1/10 of what it is normally. I'll still take a bit of abuse, but I'm definitely more likely to go off.

I'm of the frame of mine that drinking is an "extremifier" - you take the good and bad parts of you and just amp them up.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,737,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm of the frame of mine that drinking is an "extremifier" - you take the good and bad parts of you and just amp them up.
This article suggests an explanation for why some people get belligerent and others docile when under the influence:

Quote:
Why does alcohol cause disinhibited behaviour in some cases but not in others? An explanation is offered by alcohol myopia, which states that alcohol limits cognitive capacity such that intoxicated individuals tend to focus on cues in the environment that are most salient (Steele and Josephs, 1990). Alcohol myopia postulates that intoxicated individuals are unable to attend to all relevant cues simultaneously because of the limitation of cognitive capacity associated with alcohol intoxication. In other words, alcohol produces a myopic effect causing individuals to attend primarily to, and hence be more influenced by, salient environmental cues at the expense of less salient cues. Individuals who are not intoxicated, however, are not as easily influenced by salient cues because they are better able to attend to all the relevant information in the environment.
(source)

Think of the guy we've all seen who sees someone glancing at his girlfriend and punches him out. Without the booze, he would be more likely to notice that it was just an innocent glance and let it go. Alcohol, in other words, makes you stupid.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 130 times
OP, I am on a different road in life! I am very grateful for the 12 steps, AA, and my higher power who is GOD!
All you need OP is an open mind , willingness, and honesty, although this is harder than it sounds. Some take years, some a lifetime, if you can try to become honest with yourself, willing to change, and be open minded to AA or other recovery paths it can work for you if you are tired of the high cost of low living... I really hope you can get HOPE in your life, that is what many of us need - Hope and Spirituality.

Last edited by Serenity2019; 08-01-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-01-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
my higher power who is GOD!
Born again?

Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 AM

4,063 posts, read 7,698,966 times
I'm a situational alcoholic. When I'm working I don't drink much. When I am on vacation I binge like a frat boy.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I'm a situational alcoholic. When I'm working I don't drink much. When I am on vacation I binge like a frat boy.
What's your blood pressure?
How is your liver function?

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

6,434 posts, read 2,159,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem with that person is that they are getting so drunk to the point they become belligerent.

When sober, I'm not easy to "set off." I can take a lot of abuse and name calling, but eventually, I will have enough and explode. Once I throw my fit, my "frustration gauge" resets and I'm fine.

When I'm drunk, that "frustration gauge" is like 1/10 of what it is normally. I'll still take a bit of abuse, but I'm definitely more likely to go off.

Those outward gauges of problem drinking can be deceptive though. A lot of us didn't develop problems until later in life. I personally drank on the couch between the hours of 8 to 10 pm after work, supper and whatever else I needed to get done. Everyone else was off doing their own thing so there was no conflict. I never ended up in any trouble. It still affected me physically and mentally. It screwed me up so bad I'm sure I spent the last 2 years in a deep depression caused by the damage. I still wonder how I made it out alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology