U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 8,560,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I do not believe in ALcoholics Anonymous. I believe everybody can discipline themselves. It is esy to get addicted and everyone has that capability. A person can also stop. Ste boundaries. Say well i'll drink 6 beers and a shot and go home. If you do that you'll be fine.
Speculation about what you think is easy for other people is dangerous. OP has already stated he's stopped drinking before but then started again.

OP - please seek professional advice to figure out what is best for you and what kind of support you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 1 day ago)

8,110 posts, read 3,176,517 times
Quote:
I do not believe in ALcoholics Anonymous. I believe everybody can discipline themselves. It is esy to get addicted and everyone has that capability. A person can also stop. Ste boundaries. Say well i'll drink 6 beers and a shot and go home. If you do that you'll be fine.
Telling someone they can never have another drop of alcohol again in their life is setting them up for failure.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 AM

39 posts, read 7,826 times
In regards to Alcoholics Anonymous, I would like to address Mr. Boring's and loose cannon's statements about AA. Just to give insight.

Alcoholics Anonymous has helped many people due to the fellowship involved, and the commitments that members make in helping one another. AA, NA, CA and CMA are all interchangeable. It is not uncommon for Alcoholics to say, 'miss an AA meeting' and decide to go to the next one that is an NA meeting. The 12 principles are the same.

I was an addict for 15 years. I decided that I could not stop on my own, and that I needed to surround myself with a community of those that are going through the same thing I am going through.

I went to a CMA meeting (Crystal Meth Anonymous).. And saw the members. They looked pretty rough, and even the group leader stated "There is an AA meeting tomorrow. I think you will find that the people in this group are very well suited to what you need, very committed. The members of this CMA meeting do not have a long track record. But you seem very commited.."

So, I did! Met very good people who I am close with till this day. They came into the music studio that I was living at, took all my clothes.. Discarded the baggies.. ( lol..), got me work, into a sober living where I was tested randomly... I did not want to go through the rehab route. It did not work for me, because I did not have the funds.

So all in all.. I just want to say, it was the 'fellowship' that helped me. It made me want to go on in life, knowing that people cared about me. I felt worthless.
It also kept me sober! I kept telling myself "here are all these people, helping me to get better.. Putting time and effort into me. What a punk I would be if I went out and got high again!"
Now, I'm an engineer. One of the women who helped me has cancer now. I pay her cable bills, I go shopping for her.. I love them.

To the OP, one size does not fit all. But, I think it would help to see others that have been through your situation, your blackouts.. tell their stories, and see what's working for them!

Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 AM

8,083 posts, read 6,020,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
I have an alcohol problem. The last time I drank was 5 days ago. I got drunk 5 days ago. 3 people wanted to beat me up but I dont remember what happened. They were threating me to beat me up good. I started running and went inside a cafe nearby and told them to call the police. I was safe after that.

One day I will get beaten up pretty bad when drunk. There have been times I haven't drunk for as long as 2-3 months. Then I drank again. I dont remember some parts of the day when I drink.

Is there anybody who has a problem with alcohol?
That sounds like that could be an alcohol problem of some sorts. If you drink enough to where you can't remember parts of the day, then that may be a problem.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:02 AM

17,435 posts, read 21,272,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Lots of people do. There is one simple solution: Stop drinking for the rest of your life.
We all have our addictions that we don't think we could live without, so I take it you've got an addiction or 2 you could quit cold turkey, which is why you're advising this person. If you can do it, he can do it!

Don't ever tell anyone else to quit and addiction if you're incapable of ending one of your addictions. Addictions are addictions are addictions!

The true term for alcohol or drugs are spirits. So, really, these people who abuse these substances are having spiritual problems. Sounds better, no?

Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 AM

16,133 posts, read 12,876,178 times
Go to the gym every time you want to get drunk. Work out your anger and feelings there.

Obviously, you cannot keep yourself under control and drink less. You are a person who should not be near alcohol at all.

I know I blackout when I get drunk but I also know when I get near that point and then I stop. Not everyone has that self control so you have to avoid to even get into that situation.

Find other hobbies than going out and drinking or it will end badly. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM

39 posts, read 7,826 times
I have heard from many alcoholics before, who are in the program. The term is 'black-out drunk', where you cannot remember events that occur. It's pretty dangerous. Alcohol is one of the hardest substances to quit.
Alcoholics literally have seizures from quitting cold turkey. That's why rehabs have alcohol among their medications.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:15 AM

346 posts, read 83,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The true term for alcohol or drugs are spirits. So, really, these people who abuse these substances are having spiritual problems. Sounds better, no?
No it doesn't.
There are probably no such things as spiritual problems to the extent "spiritual" relates to something supernatural.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:20 AM

4,039 posts, read 7,682,519 times
Alcoholism is not a disease. It is an inherited mental illness.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM

346 posts, read 83,952 times
Quote:
Alcoholism is not a disease. It is an inherited mental illness.
Are those mutually exclusive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology