U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2019, 07:38 PM
 
346 posts, read 83,952 times
Reputation: 795

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nope. I was responding directly to supermanpansy's commetary on the AA-naysaying post.
You didn't have a quote in your post so how were we supposed to know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Middle America
36,705 posts, read 41,991,338 times
Reputation: 50640
Because it was in direct contextual response to the content posted above it.

I could see the confusion if it were separated by pages or a bunch of posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Ro cha cha, NY
3,077 posts, read 4,213,060 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
OK, so you meant tolerance, not addiction. That makes more sense.
Tolerance/ addiction, the same thing. Whatever it is that makes someone want to drink, that innate desire somehow gets even worse. Not just a physical malady, but a mental one. I can't explain it much better than I've already tried. I'm not a wordsmith. If you're still confused, talk to a specialist. Although I'm not sure if they will be able to explain it any better.

I do appreciate the questions, because there is a lot of misinformation out there. People should know that alcoholism is a progressive disease that if untreated will get worse and worse.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-11-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 PM
 
346 posts, read 83,952 times
Reputation: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Tolerance/ addiction, the same thing. Whatever it is that makes someone want to drink, that innate desire somehow gets even worse. Not just a physical malady, but a mental one. I can't explain it much better than I've already tried. I'm not a wordsmith. If you're still confused, talk to a specialist. Although I'm not sure if they will be able to explain it any better.

I do appreciate the questions, because there is a lot of misinformation out there. People should know that alcoholism is a progressive disease that if untreated will get worse and worse.

I think we agree on everything except the wording.


Addiction is a psychological and physical inability to stop consuming a chemical, drug, activity, or substance, even though it is causing psychological and physical harm.

Alcohol tolerance is increased by regular drinking.[1] This reduced sensitivity requires that higher quantities of alcohol be consumed in order to achieve the same effects as before tolerance was established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 PM
 
Location: California
586 posts, read 231,742 times
Reputation: 473
I received an autopsy report of my friend who recently collapsed and died. The toxicology report measured his BAC at .357
I think that is around 60 times over the legal limit. What happened with him was he started drinking in the morning 2 years ago, thus he was always drunk. He embalmed himself with alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Ro cha cha, NY
3,077 posts, read 4,213,060 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
I think we agree on everything except the wording.


Addiction is a psychological and physical inability to stop consuming a chemical, drug, activity, or substance, even though it is causing psychological and physical harm.

Alcohol tolerance is increased by regular drinking.[1] This reduced sensitivity requires that higher quantities of alcohol be consumed in order to achieve the same effects as before tolerance was established.
You're kind of nit-picking, because that's just about what I said. Sorry, I'm not a dictionary. I'm not going to give a dictionary definition. But I do have my own expertise. And it's not personal. I am not an alcoholic. However, I do know what I am talking about. That, I can assure you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 10:50 PM
 
Location: East Midlands, UK
727 posts, read 266,187 times
Reputation: 1616
I do. I haven't drank for a while though but for me it's all about self medication as in killing time, numbing intrusive obsessive thoughts and teeing able to knock myself out or reduce my anxiety. It doesn't make me any more or less depressed because I'm just as depressed whether I'm drunk or sober. I've never gotten help for it because it's not the root cause of my problems. More like a symptom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
8,757 posts, read 7,126,263 times
Reputation: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
I started drinking in 1988 and its been quite the ride. I love the altered state that drinking gives you. Of course, that comes with a steep price if you drink as much as I used to: many, many, many trips to the ER for alcohol poisoining, officer escorted rides to the County Mental Health facility, failed suicide attempts and lots of halfway houses. Tried AA (gack!). Made me wanna drink even more after hearing all the horror stories.

I've hit my bottom so many times and when that happens I stop for 7-14 days to give my body some peace. But once I start to feel A-OK its back to the bottle. I recently quit binge drinking. My body just cannot handle that any longer. So now I drink 2 days a week, anywhere from 3-5 hard drinks and thats it.

My doctor is amazed that I am able to do this all on my own. I said "I dont like being told what to do. Let me figure it out for myself." And I have. For better or worse because at the end of the day I just love the taste of booze. Period. And whatever happens, its all on ME. The buck stops here. No assigning blame.

You'll figure out your own path. I wish you luck in your journey.
You sound a lot like me, although the way you describe it you definitely drank a little more than me and experienced more negative effects. My only negative effect was when an Ex used my drinking as an allegation against me knowing that I had no defense because I was in fact a drinker. Meaning nothing happened, she just twisted drinking into the story to make it more sensational and add an aspect that I couldn't defend against.

All that came out of this was a monstrously defensive posture against AA and the like which I will never lose. I guess as has been said here, I am just not an alcoholic so I cannot see that side of it. I drink hard when I want to, a little when I want to, and none at all when I want to (I haven't had a sip of alcohol this week and likely will only have one drink all weekend).

I was force-fed the worst of AA's principles by people with interests in not holding true to AA's better principles. "Oh you 'needed' a drink once? ALCOHOLIC!!!!", was thrown in my face because I was honest in the interview, then quickly found out that being honest didn't matter anyway because they just double everything you say to account for "denial". So my factual "a few beers a week" average became 20 beers a week because these types don't believe a word you say. Better to never talk to them (which is what I will do god forbid I ever find myself in their clutches again).

In the end, all this experience did was reinforce the fact that I am NOT an alcoholic and strengthen my resolve against judgmental people.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 AM
 
Location: San Diego
1,175 posts, read 428,136 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
If you can honestly control it, then you're not an alcoholic, you are a hard drinker. If your attempts at controlling it fail, then perhaps you are an alcoholic. Only you, can answer that.

Keep in mind, that addiction is cunning, baffling, and powerful. Many if not all alcoholics have attempted to control it at one point or another only to realize eventually, and usually pretty quickly, that they couldn't.


I certainly didn't mean to indicate that I could control it. You are correct in that its a sneaky Mutha Further. I'm just trying to weave in and out of its web when I can and sometimes I fail miserably. But when I am successful, I give myself a and when I hit the curb hard, oh well. Get yourself back up and try again.

The one great constant in my life is my 7lb yorkie. If not for her, I am certain that I would have done myself in for good. I lost 2 of my best friends 4 years ago and I have been gutted ever since. Be thankful if you have family that surrounds you with love. Some of us dont have that circle.

Please dont judge those of us who are struggling to get by day to day.

Peace and Blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,110 posts, read 3,176,517 times
Reputation: 14607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

I was force-fed the worst of AA's principles by people with interests in not holding true to AA's better principles. "Oh you 'needed' a drink once? ALCOHOLIC!!!!", was thrown in my face because I was honest in the interview, then quickly found out that being honest didn't matter anyway because they just double everything you say to account for "denial". So my factual "a few beers a week" average became 20 beers a week because these types don't believe a word you say. Better to never talk to them (which is what I will do god forbid I ever find myself in their clutches again).

In the end, all this experience did was reinforce the fact that I am NOT an alcoholic and strengthen my resolve against judgmental people.
Ah the old catch-22. If you admit to being an alcoholic, well then you're an alcoholic. If you deny being an alcoholic, well then you're REALLY an alcoholic because denial is one of the most surefire signs that someone's an alcoholic. So I guess everyone's an alcoholic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top