U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:19 PM

4,039 posts, read 7,682,519 times

Advertisements

Why is there a need to continue to go to meetings for life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 03:43 PM

3,077 posts, read 4,213,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I do not think that alcohol or other drug addiction is a disease.
You may have the addiction gene where you are more likely to become an addict than someone who doesn't have it.
But in the end, you CHOOSE if you put your needle in the arm or smoke that joint. No natural force or contagiousness makes you addicted against your will.

You have a weak character or low self discipline or self esteem and choose to take drugs. Maybe you are just curious or very young. It feels awesome but then your common sense should tell you that it is too dangerous to keep doing it because "addiction" is no sudden surprise, everyone knows you become addicted if you keep doing it. A weak person aka the one with the addiction gene will want the warm feeling no matter what the consequences are and a person who is strong will not.

This opinion is not backed up by any science, just my personal experience with friends and drug experimenting.
Ok, well unfortunately, it is a disease. You don't have to buy into it. Just because you can control it, does not mean that others can.

It's right there in medical journals as an addiction/ disease. So , I dont know why people are debating this. I'm pretty sure that the medical community understands addiction a little better than the rest of us.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-12-2019 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 03:49 PM

8,083 posts, read 6,020,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
There probably isn't, but I guess the idea is something along the lines of accountability.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Generally agree with all this. People want to simplify things like alcoholism into neat black and white categories, declare it a "disease" or an "addiction" - because it is easier to accept that way.

But one thing is certainly true. Regardless of how or why the victim gets there, full blown alcoholism is hell on earth. It brings devastation to the individual and their family and often leads to premature death. Anyone who thinks they can get out from under the grip simply because they "want to" really doen't understand the body and brain of an alcoholic.

Absolutely.

We can't assume just because we can control something, that everybody can. It's silly and naive to think that we all are wired the same way. I've seen a friend go to prison for four years because he couldn't stay sober. Was on drug court for a third d.w.i. Not many rational people with the ability to control themselves, would make that same decision.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
You might get a different reason for each person. But I know many people who AA has helped. Too many are focusing on AA. There are other ways to stay sober. And AA definately isn't for everybody.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM

8,757 posts, read 7,126,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
You might get a different reason for each person. But I know many people who AA has helped. Too many are focusing on AA. There are other ways to stay sober. And AA definately isn't for everybody.
This was the part that bothered me so much. Most of the rehab industry (I’m not using that term facetiously) push AA as the only solution. Most doctors too. Very few will recommend other paths to sobriety.

I’ll give you another “absolute” we ran into when trying to help my best friend. We called numerous interventionists and none would take our “case” because no family members were involved. It is still mind boggling to me that an interventionist cannot grasp the concept that addicts might only have their friends left OR might have come from such messed up families that only the friends have a chance of making an impact. The latter was the case for our buddy. His small family was all messed up except for one brother who was away in the Navy.

We did it ourselves. Roped him into a soccer match party at our friend’s house. The bulk of us waited outside. One doctor friend had set up the rehab. When my buddy went to the bathroom we got the signal and pounced. He stepped out of the bathroom and we were all there. First words out of his mouth? “I’m going to rehab aren’t I?” He sat quietly listening to our testimonies. I capped it off by flat out telling him that he would never know my children if he didn’t leave right that minute. Ten minutes later after hugs and cigarettes, he was on his way to rehab with our friend.

Had it been his parents or other family, he’d have never accepted that fact so easily. They didn’t matter to him and he didn’t matter to them. The experts wouldn’t bend but we did it anyway and it worked. He just passed 6 years sober, is marrying an amazing woman not from “the rooms” and is a role model for many who need him.

So both of my experiences with addiction “experts” are sour quite frankly.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
There probably isn't, but I guess the idea is something along the lines of accountability.
That's part of it. It's also a place for people to talk about what it is that they are going through. Talking about it helps to keep them sober. Hearing how others continue to stay sober, gives people hope as well. Just knowing that you are not alone helps the alcoholic tremendously.. It's very therapeutic without having to pay for therapy. Living life on lifes terms, without using alcohol, is the goal. Many people who are susceptable to addictions really struggle with life on lifes terms. Alcohol was a crutch for those people, which in time turned into dependency.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This was the part that bothered me so much. Most of the rehab industry (I’m not using that term facetiously) push AA as the only solution. Most doctors too. Very few will recommend other paths to sobriety.

I’ll give you another “absolute” we ran into when trying to help my best friend. We called numerous interventionists and none would take our “case” because no family members were involved. It is still mind boggling to me that an interventionist cannot grasp the concept that addicts might only have their friends left OR might have come from such messed up families that only the friends have a chance of making an impact. The latter was the case for our buddy. His small family was all messed up except for one brother who was away in the Navy.

We did it ourselves. Roped him into a soccer match party at our friend’s house. The bulk of us waited outside. One doctor friend had set up the rehab. When my buddy went to the bathroom we got the signal and pounced. He stepped out of the bathroom and we were all there. First words out of his mouth? “I’m going to rehab aren’t I?” He sat quietly listening to our testimonies. I capped it off by flat out telling him that he would never know my children if he didn’t leave right that minute. Ten minutes later after hugs and cigarettes, he was on his way to rehab with our friend.

Had it been his parents or other family, he’d have never accepted that fact so easily. They didn’t matter to him and he didn’t matter to them. The experts wouldn’t bend but we did it anyway and it worked. He just passed 6 years sober, is marrying an amazing woman not from “the rooms” and is a role model for many who need him.

So both of my experiences with addiction “experts” are sour quite frankly.
That's true, AA isn't for everybody, but it does help many. There are as many ways to get sober as there are people. Some just quit on their own and never look back. However, many people who do it by their self are sometimes dry drunks. To put it simply, They are miserable people. Again, some, not all. Some are miserable going to AA. AA is not for everybody. There is a spiritual connection that I'm not going to touch that many claim that they get from AA.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
[/b]

I certainly didn't mean to indicate that I could control it. You are correct in that its a sneaky Mutha Further. I'm just trying to weave in and out of its web when I can and sometimes I fail miserably. But when I am successful, I give myself a and when I hit the curb hard, oh well. Get yourself back up and try again.

The one great constant in my life is my 7lb yorkie. If not for her, I am certain that I would have done myself in for good. I lost 2 of my best friends 4 years ago and I have been gutted ever since. Be thankful if you have family that surrounds you with love. Some of us dont have that circle.

Please dont judge those of us who are struggling to get by day to day.

Peace and Blessings.
I'm not trying to judge anybody. I'm simply trying to help anybody who might be struggling with this nasty addiction. I hope you can find that inner peace no matter how you get there. God bless you.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 PM

866 posts, read 1,373,150 times
I don't think I have an alcohol addiction because I don't crave it and I can go for weeks without drinking anything. However, I tend to abuse alcohol... Whenever I drink, I do it to get completely drunk and have blacked out several times. And I'm likely to drink when I'm grieving or very upset about something... Who knows if I really have a problem or not... but I don't think I'll stop drinking any time soon.. I enjoy it too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology