U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 PM

9,217 posts, read 8,306,163 times

Advertisements

Celebrities most certainly are a personal loss.

JFK, Princess Di, MLK Jr., Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain.

The list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 PM

4,432 posts, read 4,294,840 times
I've experienced a lot of loss just in the past 6 months! My Mother died Christmas Eve, her husband a month later, and my mother's best friend (like a grandmother to me) a few weeks ago. It sucks when both parents are gone and all immediate family except a brother. I've lost all uncles, grandparents, and aunts, and I'm not much older than you. Granted, most didn't take care of themselves, but still. When you realize you'll likely be the next to go in your family, its scary.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

4,947 posts, read 2,284,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Iím 44. My first experience with someone young dying was at 27 (she was 26) of a heart condition. In the last 7 years Iíve had about 6 people I know pass away before 70. 2 where in there 40ís. One from cancer at 42 and another a stroke at 46. And I recently found a pic of me with both of them from the 90ís. Also almost all the celebs Iíve been fans of since I was a child have passed away young or somewhat young (John Ritter, Corey Haim, Heath Ledger, David Cassidy to name a few). Itís makes me feel very upset. Especially when I find pics with or of these people.
I'm not sure about if those losses translate into profound grief but who am I to judge? Losing my daughter in 1994 & my mother in 2017 are examples of profound grief for me.

My daughter's death specifically triggered years of PTSD. I do not grieve well. To me; grief is terrifying.

What IS concerning to me, is how the trends in death, dying & illness have changed. Despite what the CDC says; this cannot possibly all be attributed to addictions & mental illness. Some, yes but those rates have been high for decades (as have accidental deaths).

It used to be that once you achieved outgrowing the risk of infant mortality, that you were set (save an outbreak or war/civil unrest) for old age. Mortality from occupational hazards did increase during the onset of railroads & mining operations but recently, here in a first-world country; life expectancy for the first time is lowering. That has nothing to do with 'the media' either, though many will say that. 'The media' will not impact statistics.

That is an anomaly & it is concerning.

Old Today, 07:56 AM

57 posts, read 411,414 times
This life is about living, not dying. My perspective had to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or