U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:46 PM

1,147 posts, read 459,281 times

Advertisements

I don't want the U.S. to turn into a European beach and let it all hang out. We have areas and Festivals for that.

The Pride Parades are too flashy, I have gay friends that feel the same.

Work place should be up to the employer.

I don't like too much from anybody. Just be respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM

6,584 posts, read 2,376,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Judgment is part of a manager's job.

Eh...I THINK it's the manager's job to enforce the rules. Thus, the rules should be clear.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:17 PM

16,063 posts, read 12,841,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I see all kinds of ink being spilled on this topic. Honestly, I dont care what women wear, when they wear it, what color it is. If its a horrible color, I'll look the other way. If she's got cleavage, butt cheeks, or camel toe showing, I may look or maybe not.

But what I dont get is women who want to show that much skin or criticize others who do? One time, a coworker of mine was sent home because of a short skirt. It came mid thigh sitting down? Her butt was completely covered. ? I don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I can understand the need for professionally appropriate clothing in a work setting, but it doesn't sound like her skirt was actually that short.
It depends on the size of the people wearing them, too.

My short skirts look shorter than other women's because my legs are long. You see more of the legs so it automatically looks more inappropriate, even though I don't even wear heels. I never got told to tone it down but I easily look inappropriate if I would put on heels or shorter dresses/skirts. Other women can wear it but on me it always looks too short, even if it ends right above the knee cap

Old 07-12-2019, 01:21 PM

20,136 posts, read 11,167,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Eh...I THINK it's the manager's job to enforce the rules. Thus, the rules should be clear.
The measure of detail you're looking for rarely happens outside of the military. And at some point or another, in some way or another, a manager's opinion of the subordinate's judgment is always going to come to bear.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 PM

6,584 posts, read 2,376,729 times
Quote:
The measure of detail you're looking for rarely happens outside of the military. And at some point or another, in some way or another, a manager's opinion of the subordinate's judgment is always going to come to bear.

I will just have to disagree with you.

Our dress code, while fairly relaxed by a lot of people's standards, is specific.

Every week in the summer, we have shorts Wednesday. Shorts can be no shorter than the end of our fingertips. See? That's fairly specific. No one has to call each other out because ass is hanging out, etc.

No spaghetti straps, no tube tops, no midriff showing, no displaying of vulgar or curse words, no holey or raggedy hemmed pants... That's what I can remember. I'm sure if I looked on our intranet sight, I could find our dress code and post it, if you like.

And while I will agree that at some point along the way, an employee's conduct and abilities will be judged, how profitable IS it for business, to send an employee home to change clothes because the dress code wasn't clear? Isn't it just easier to spell the rules out instead of expecting people to somehow know what your (as manager) ambiguous idea of appropriate is?

Last edited by Sassybluesy; 07-12-2019 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add to my thoughts

Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 PM

40,467 posts, read 39,987,496 times
I work for a major fortune 200 company and recently someone showed up for work in shorts, didn't see her myself, but she was told by management to go home and put on some clothes.

I prefer casual dress, but for work I have to wear dress shirts, slacks, and dress shoes. Thank good they stop and tie and jacket.

I don't like it when people how too much skin when it's not appropriate, like at a restaurant or something. For me I can hang with a tank tops and shorts, fine I live in So Cal, I'm used to it. I've just seen women with tons of boobage out and shorts so short you can almost see female parts. With guys you need to have on at least a tank top and like I said shorts long enough and not so tight you can tell what side he packs on.

That don't seem like too much to ask.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM

714 posts, read 263,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

My short skirts look shorter than other women's because my legs are long. You see more of the legs so it automatically looks more inappropriate, even though I don't even wear heels. I never got told to tone it down but I easily look inappropriate if I would put on heels or shorter dresses/skirts. Other women can wear it but on me it always looks too short, even if it ends right above the knee cap
I'm tall with long legs and I have the sane problem with skirts. Personally I don't care. If you don't like it, don't look.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 PM

2,210 posts, read 933,389 times
This is why Japanese automakers operating here in the U.S. require everyone to wear the same uniform. Same shirt with your first name on it and same pants. No deviation permitted. A lot of people cringe at the thought of this, but it does work to remove any distractions such as too much skin.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:21 PM

2,285 posts, read 511,056 times
Quote:
Don't think that men haven't also had a strict dress code all that time as well. The underlying issues are different (usually they have been subtle matters of adherence to hierarchy: "Everyone knows only the boss wears a red tie...what do you mean by wearing the boss's color?"), but putting a toe outside the prescribed line can be just as dangerous.
Dress codes are much more easily enforced on men (not much to it); women, however, are more likely to push the envelope in a professional environment by showing their cleavage or having a very tight dress. Itís also difficult for some office managers to approach it - and is often overlooked (not that Iím complaining). The tie thing? Haha - no.

Aside from a professional environment (which I assume OP is referring to), however, what difference does it make? We can look if we want - and if we donít like it, we donít look. To discuss the appropriateness of womenís clothes (beyond a professional environment or a funeral, etc.) is puritanical. We only have a voice in what our girlfriends or wives wear (for or against) - sometimes.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:30 PM

22,562 posts, read 24,148,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

I've heard the same thing from friends who have large chests--a shirt that looks just fine on a smaller woman will look inappropriate on her, even if it's exactly the same shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or