U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:36 PM

8,008 posts, read 5,998,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I see all kinds of ink being spilled on this topic. Honestly, I dont care what women wear, when they wear it, what color it is. If its a horrible color, I'll look the other way. If she's got cleavage, butt cheeks, or camel toe showing, I may look or maybe not.

But what I dont get is women who want to show that much skin or criticize others who do? One time, a coworker of mine was sent home because of a short skirt. It came mid thigh sitting down? Her butt was completely covered. ? I don't get it.
I'm sorry. I don't quite understand this sentence in the whole context of your post.

...But anyway, I really don't care what a woman wears, when she wears it either. If she violates some kind of dress code, that is between her and that establishment. If I don't like what I see, then I will look somewhere else. She ain't dressing for me (who is). If she feels good in what she wears, then that's great. I want people to feel good about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 03:40 PM

43,309 posts, read 41,880,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is why Japanese automakers operating here in the U.S. require everyone to wear the same uniform. Same shirt with your first name on it and same pants. No deviation permitted. A lot of people cringe at the thought of this, but it does work to remove any distractions such as too much skin.
Yeah, if you've ever been inside a GM plant, it's pretty much a free-for-all on the line, and they would probably break a world's record for number of pairs of jorts.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:44 PM

8,008 posts, read 5,998,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Why not? They could go to work dressed in tank tops, cargo shorts, and slippers. Not to mention pajamas.
In what company?

Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM

6,603 posts, read 2,379,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've heard the same thing from friends who have large chests--a shirt that looks just fine on a smaller woman will look inappropriate on her, even if it's exactly the same shirt.
And some of us show cleavage merely by crossing our arms in front of ourselves.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:53 PM

6,511 posts, read 4,085,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Every week in the summer, we have shorts Wednesday. Shorts can be no shorter than the end of our fingertips. See? That's fairly specific. No one has to call each other out because ass is hanging out, etc.
At my daughter's high school, the principal demonstrated the appropriate length for shorts and skirts by putting her arms down by her sides. Shorts and skirts must reach the end of the fingertips.

A week later, my daughter got dress-coded for having shorts that were too short. She showed the principal that they actually did reach the ends of her fingers.

The principal went, hmmm. It turned out that the principal has a very short torso and long arms, and her fingertips almost reach her knees.

My daughter has a longer torso and shorter arms. Her fingertips clear her rear end by a couple of inches and stop 7" above her knees.

Shorts and skirts that look very modest on the principal look very short on my daughter.

It's not always as easy as it seems.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 PM

1,180 posts, read 582,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
One time, a coworker of mine was sent home because of a short skirt. It came mid thigh sitting down? Her butt was completely covered. ? I don't get it.
If she was sitting at a desk or table across from people who could see her knees, or getting out of a car, she could accidentally end up showing a lot more than she intended.

How much skin is too much? If you're attracting a lot of attention, if you're the object of snickers, if your clothes reveal more than everyone else around you, you may need to dress more modestly.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:37 AM

13,921 posts, read 7,416,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Clearly. Apparently some people think if you're not wearing a full Burka then you belong in a strip club.
Yep. Iím ok with bikini top and thong as a minimum. Iím fine with breast feeding in public. I find the whole Puritanical dress code thing to be pretty bizarre. If itís 90f, wear as little as you want.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:23 AM

6,511 posts, read 4,085,618 times
I'll bet lots of men would be just fine with women wearing bikini tops and thongs everywhere.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM

2,288 posts, read 513,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. Iím ok with bikini top and thong as a minimum. Iím fine with breast feeding in public. I find the whole Puritanical dress code thing to be pretty bizarre. If itís 90f, wear as little as you want.
Thatís the problem - there is no such dress code, puritanical or otherwise, when it comes to how a woman decides to dress for herself. Itís simply puritanical thinking (as I previously mentioned) for men or women to think they can judge or control what anybody else does or doesnít wear - even if their choice is not necessarily Ďappropriateí. No one must conform to our expectations. The workplace, of course, is a different story - but even then, people can get fairly extreme about their complaints. Most in professional environments know whatís inappropriate for the job - or they probably wouldnít have the job in the first place.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:09 AM

3,451 posts, read 1,537,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've heard the same thing from friends who have large chests--a shirt that looks just fine on a smaller woman will look inappropriate on her, even if it's exactly the same shirt.
Story of my life. No styles seem to look good on us. Probably getting judged left and right all day long, LOL. Then again, nobody really cares, do they? Not in the workplace anymore, so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or