U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:14 AM

8,782 posts, read 7,701,741 times

Advertisements

I see all kinds of ink being spilled on this topic. Honestly, I dont care what women wear, when they wear it, what color it is. If its a horrible color, I'll look the other way. If she's got cleavage, butt cheeks, or camel toe showing, I may look or maybe not.

But what I dont get is women who want to show that much skin or criticize others who do? One time, a coworker of mine was sent home because of a short skirt. It came mid thigh sitting down? Her butt was completely covered. ? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:29 AM

8,915 posts, read 13,658,638 times
I can understand the need for professionally appropriate clothing in a work setting, but it doesn't sound like her skirt was actually that short.

Old Today, 07:45 AM

348 posts, read 59,529 times
I am the only person who is qualified to judge how much skin is too much.

Old Today, 07:50 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 10 days ago)

9,513 posts, read 3,649,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I see all kinds of ink being spilled on this topic. Honestly, I dont care what women wear, when they wear it, what color it is. If its a horrible color, I'll look the other way. If she's got cleavage, butt cheeks, or camel toe showing, I may look or maybe not.

But what I dont get is women who want to show that much skin or criticize others who do? One time, a coworker of mine was sent home because of a short skirt. It came mid thigh sitting down? Her butt was completely covered. ? I don't get it.
Perhaps she bent over people could see more. I don't know. I worked in a business office where we had lots of people coming in for meetings and there was a strict dress code. No mini skirts for women, no shorts for men or women. Since it's a private employer they can dictate how their workers dress on their premises.

Old Today, 08:30 AM

43,242 posts, read 41,828,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

The bare minimum isn't the standard in most workplaces. Otherwise people would just wear bikinis and be like, "What? The important bits are covered!"

If you get sent home from work as an adult because your clothing is not appropriate, you have a judgement problem.

Old Today, 08:40 AM

234 posts, read 71,615 times
Most businesses have dress policies. If her clothing choice violated that policy, the company had every right to send her home to change.

Old Today, 09:03 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,483 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Image.
You don't show up at the bank job interview with combat boots, a purple mohawk and a nose ring. Just like if you want to be the lead singer in heavy metal band you wouldn't show up in a power suit with sensible pumps and a string of pearls.
Beyond a certain point bare skin suggest intimacy or sexuality, not really the image a business usually wants to project to it's customers or clients.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

164 posts, read 32,712 times
People have been policing women's clothes and bodies for centuries, likely since monotheism was adopted. I'm always happy to see women bucking society's rules and laws.

Old Today, 09:51 AM

8,915 posts, read 13,658,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The bare minimum isn't the standard in most workplaces.
No, but "mid-thigh when sitting down" isn't bare minimum either - actually sounds fairly conservative.

Quote:
If you get sent home from work as an adult because your clothing is not appropriate, you have a judgement problem.
Not necessarily - I can believe that some people are unreasonable in their expectations of modesty. Like a dress code that says no skirts above the knee seems unnecessarily conservative - a skirt above the knee is not necessarily a "judgement problem". Of course, if your place of work makes that policy clear and you decide to ignore it, then getting sent home is on you - but it doesn't necessarily mean you have a clothing judgement problem (maybe a behavioral judgement problem by being deliberately defiant but that's different).

Old Today, 09:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 11,157,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
People have been policing women's clothes and bodies for centuries, likely since monotheism was adopted. I'm always happy to see women bucking society's rules and laws.
Don't think that men haven't also had a strict dress code all that time as well. The underlying issues are different (usually they have been subtle matters of adherence to hierarchy: "Everyone knows only the boss wears a red tie...what do you mean by wearing the boss's color?"), but putting a toe outside the prescribed line can be just as dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or