U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 966,747 times

Advertisements

Ever been in the audience of a show taping?

I've been to two different show taping.

In the first one, we were told, "OK, everyone whose last name starts with A to E is group 1, F-L is group 2...." and so on. "When you see "Group 1" on the monitor, we want all of group 1 to cheer as loud as possible. When you see group 2, all you group 2'ers boo and hiss. When you see group 3, you guys stand and clap, when you see Group 4, laugh loudly".

In the second one, instructions for everyone were on the monitor.....cheer, clap, scream, etc.

Just like everything else on TV, audience participation is coordinated and orchestrated. Fake, fake, fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 AM

3,922 posts, read 1,668,548 times
I notice on Ellen's game show that the contestants are jumping around like maniacs until they get close to Ellen. Then they suddenly get all calm and hug her gingerly. Clearly they aren't nearly excited as they act.

Screamers--some people love to get loud. As another poster said, it gets them attention.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:42 AM

10,391 posts, read 9,405,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I notice on Ellen's game show that the contestants are jumping around like maniacs until they get close to Ellen. Then they suddenly get all calm and hug her gingerly. Clearly they aren't nearly excited as they act.

Screamers--some people love to get loud. As another poster said, it gets them attention.
I'd probably scream if I saw Ellen too, but not for the same reason.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 AM

4,295 posts, read 7,162,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Was watching a game show this morning. Another lady got so excited she released an ear piercing high pitch scream. Anyone ever study why some people emit such screams when excited? Does it relate to the scream of alarm/fear some people make? Are such people more likely to freeze when in danger instead of respond to danger? And why scream as if in terror when actually excited and joyous?
They watch too many game shows where the peanut gallery is encouraged to scream, go hysterical, and otherwise act like they have no mind. Often they don't.

Change the channel.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 AM

22 posts, read 2,281 times
Quote:
Was watching a game show this morning. Another lady got so excited she released an ear piercing high pitch scream. Anyone ever study why some people emit such screams when excited? Does it relate to the scream of alarm/fear some people make? Are such people more likely to freeze when in danger instead of respond to danger? And why scream as if in terror when actually excited and joyous?
Strange you think screaming is weird. It's normal. They are just showing how elated an over excited they are.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 AM

9,419 posts, read 6,290,803 times
Quote:

On game shows all contestants are coached to scream, jump up and down and do just plain stupid things

Old 07-14-2019, 11:47 AM

9,419 posts, read 6,290,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Go to YouTube and watch an episode of The Price is Right with Bob Barker from the 70s.

You'll be amazed at the difference in the way the audience and contestants conduct themselves. The audience will clap when someone wins and yell out "Yay"; and there is excitement but not to the extreme you'll see on today's shows.

The same excessive screaming and going nuts is typical on any game show and especially on the Ellen DeGeneres show.

It is completely overdone and very irritating. Thank goodness there's a Mute button on the remote!!

Why the switch? Have no idea, maybe it's a fad to go bonkers.

Also men in ties and jackets and women in dresses (Except for the price is right)

There is no sense of decorum any more

Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times
I never understood people who scream, either. It seems contrived to me and an attempt at getting attention.

My daughter graduated with her Master's this spring. At the graduation ceremony, some families felt the need to scream obnoxiously when they heard their graduate's name announced. Is that sort of trashy behavior really necessary?

That said, I have a somewhat cringey memory of a situation on 9/11. I was in One WTC, and we'd just gotten down the stairs and now were on the mezzanine, a sort of open balcony a floor above the lobby. The line from the stairs to the exit had stopped dead. No one was moving anymore, and I just wanted to get the hell out of there, so I grabbed my escape-mate's hand and ran around the people who had stopped and out the door. As soon as I exited, I found myself next to two women who were screaming at the top of their lungs. I turned to my friend and said, "Is it really necessary for them to SCREAM like that?

My friend just said, "Jesus, look at the Plaza."

I looked, and all over the WTC Plaza were pieces of burning airplane, seat cushions, fabric, and "stuff" that my mind said, "Don't look at." A cop was in my face saying, "Just run, run, and don't look up." I looked up, and then I realized that burning debris was raining down and hitting the ground all around me, and I ran.

Later, when I pieced it all together, I realized those women were screaming and the line had stopped because they had just seen the second plane hit Two WTC and crash onto the Plaza.

Well, OK, then. I suppose I can put my intolerance aside for THAT.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM

1,976 posts, read 1,217,236 times
I don't think I have the ability to scream whether it's out of joy or horror so I don't understand that behavior either.

When the towers were hit, I was numb and just working on auto pilot but never screamed.

When I was outside and a snake slithered over my bare foot.. I just froze and didn't say a word.

When I got robbed and saw the gun pointed at me, I didn't scream.

When I won the lottery.. (no, it wasn't that much and it's been spent already) I didn't scream either. I yelled a lot in a good way though.
I think screaming is a practiced response and something that doesn't come naturally, but I could be wrong.
I was never a screamer as a child either so that may have something to do with it too.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I don't think I have the ability to scream whether it's out of joy or horror so I don't understand that behavior either.

When the towers were hit, I was numb and just working on auto pilot but never screamed.

When I was outside and a snake slithered over my bare foot.. I just froze and didn't say a word.

When I got robbed and saw the gun pointed at me, I didn't scream.

When I won the lottery.. (no, it wasn't that much and it's been spent already) I didn't scream either. I yelled a lot in a good way though.
I think screaming is a practiced response and something that doesn't come naturally, but I could be wrong.
I was never a screamer as a child either so that may have something to do with it too.
Same here. I was also on auto-pilot on 9/11. When we were hit, my friend was knocked to the ground and yelling "we're going to DIE" and I was losing my balance but didn't fall. I thought we were going over sideways, and the building was shuddering back and forth, but I immediately went into this calm take-charge mode. 'Hm, she could be right--we might be about to die, but we should try to make a run for it".

I was there in 1993 for the bombing, and we'd waited a while to get into the stairs and they were very crowded and smoky, so I grabbed her hand and hauled her up and said, "We have to get in the stairs right now and start running."

It took a couple of weeks before I began to feel.

But like you, we didn't scream and carry on when we were kids, so I didn't grow up thinking that was OK.

I have the least amount of tolerance for women who scream and jump on chairs or tables when they see a bug or a mouse. Get down and let me slap you, lol.

I don't mind snakes, but getting robbed at gunpoint? Now THAT sounds scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or