U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM

9,953 posts, read 8,210,101 times

Advertisements

Was watching a game show this morning. Another lady got so excited she released an ear piercing high pitch scream. Anyone ever study why some people emit such screams when excited? Does it relate to the scream of alarm/fear some people make? Are such people more likely to freeze when in danger instead of respond to danger? And why scream as if in terror when actually excited and joyous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 PM

43,473 posts, read 42,009,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Was watching a game show this morning. Another lady got so excited she released an ear piercing high pitch scream. Anyone ever study why some people emit such screams when excited? Does it relate to the scream of alarm/fear some people make? Are such people more likely to freeze when in danger instead of respond to danger? And why scream as if in terror when actually excited and joyous?
Assuming this is a woman on the show and not in the room with you …

They really hype up the crowd on those shows, so that by the time a contestant gets to the point where they are playing, they can be pretty amped.

Add to that the adrenaline rush people get when they are on camera and winning .. you can get screaming.

IMHO adrenaline is the common denominator in all the scenarios you presented.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:37 AM

40,265 posts, read 15,209,834 times
Interesting question, and I can only guess at the answer. It reminded me of the hordes of teenage girls who used to scream and cry when they saw the Beatles or other boy bands, not just at concerts but also when the band members were passing by in a limo, getting off a plane or just walking in public. Some of the kids even fainted due to their hyper excitement. I was a teen then myself, and I never understood it. Do teens still do that?

Now I'm curious about this topic and also wonder whether any studies have been done on it.

OP, as far as contestants on game shows go, I'm guessing that the ones who scream as you described thrive on attention and are frequently overemotional. They know they are on camera and they are the sort of people show producers seek out. I'm interested to hear what others think about this; hope the thread takes off.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Interesting question, and I can only guess at the answer. It reminded me of the hordes of teenage girls who used to scream and cry when they saw the Beatles or other boy bands, not just at concerts but also when the band members were passing by in a limo, getting off a plane or just walking in public. Some of the kids even fainted due to their hyper excitement. I was a teen then myself, and I never understood it. Do teens still do that?

Now I'm curious about this topic and also wonder whether any studies have been done on it.

OP, as far as contestants on game shows go, I'm guessing that the ones who scream as you described thrive on attention and are frequently overemotional. They know they are on camera and they are the sort of people show producers seek out. I'm interested to hear what others think about this; hope the thread takes off.

I thought the same back then! And I LIKE the Beatles.

Girls screamed and fainted before the Fab Four. Sinatra, for one. I wonder about that.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM

1,831 posts, read 320,586 times
I always thought the producers told the contestants to scream and jump up and down and express excess emotions, so the show is more exciting to viewers.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:02 PM

10,391 posts, read 9,405,924 times
Go to YouTube and watch an episode of The Price is Right with Bob Barker from the 70s.

You'll be amazed at the difference in the way the audience and contestants conduct themselves. The audience will clap when someone wins and yell out "Yay"; and there is excitement but not to the extreme you'll see on today's shows.

The same excessive screaming and going nuts is typical on any game show and especially on the Ellen DeGeneres show.

It is completely overdone and very irritating. Thank goodness there's a Mute button on the remote!!

Why the switch? Have no idea, maybe it's a fad to go bonkers.

Last edited by katie45; 07-13-2019 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM

23,655 posts, read 33,482,984 times
Quote:
I have no idea. I don’t hang around with children who always scream over stupid crap to know.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:18 PM

3,589 posts, read 1,405,343 times
marketing.
screams sell.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 881,392 times
Quote:
It's no longer the buttoned up, tempered demeanor of yore. We've gone from "The $64,000 question" to game shows where there's so much vocal energy that the microphones are clipping and the sound is distorting.

I'm seeing this type of behavior increase, like the audience at a Backstreet Boys concert. Not everyone, but I'd say "it seems like more people are open and loud about their feelings".

Old 07-13-2019, 05:17 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,217,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I always thought the producers told the contestants to scream and jump up and down and express excess emotions, so the show is more exciting to viewers.

They do. My cousin was on the Price is Right and he was told to act that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or