U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 621,943 times

Advertisements

People sometimes see things differently. Much of the technological (for example) advancement on this planet has happened because someone saw something differently from the way the majority saw it. And they made their own facts of that something actually work in the world. Then pretty much everyone began to see what they saw and it began to be called truth.

What I mean is there's a huge difference between facts and truth. It would help a lot if we could come to agreement on the definition of each of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 PM

45,164 posts, read 36,370,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
People sometimes see things differently. Much of the technological (for example) advancement on this planet has happened because someone saw something differently from the way the majority saw it. And they made their own facts of that something actually work in the world. Then pretty much everyone began to see what they saw and it began to be called truth.

What I mean is there's a huge difference between facts and truth. It would help a lot if we could come to agreement on the definition of each of those.
Everything that is factual is true but not everything that is true is factual.

Or something like that.

Just don't say that "everything/it's all is subjective" because it simply isn't.

Some people think they see something, and they really didn't. They can think it all they like, they can swear it's the truth, they can believe it, but it's not what really happened. It may be "true" to them, but it is not actually true.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Everything that is factual is true but not everything that is true is factual.

Or something like that.

Just don't say that "everything/it's all is subjective" because it simply isn't.

Some people think they see something, and they really didn't. They can think it all they like, they can swear it's the truth, they can believe it, but it's not what really happened. It may be "true" to them, but it is not actually true.
Ok. What I'm trying to get at is what's the definition of "actually true"?

Old 07-23-2019, 04:03 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,270,730 times
Well, yes, a kind lie is often easier to take than the truth.

But on the other hand, you may well using the excuse of "truth" to be blunt, unkind, and confrontational more than is necessary.

And, really, how important is the "why"? And how important is it that you confront them about it? If someone is habitually late, maybe it's a sign of disrespect OR maybe he's just disorganized OR maybe he just needs a watch. Do you really need to have a fight about it?

And it seem really crazy to text something confrontational.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:52 PM

7,088 posts, read 7,016,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, yes, a kind lie is often easier to take than the truth.

But on the other hand, you may well using the excuse of "truth" to be blunt, unkind, and confrontational more than is necessary.

And, really, how important is the "why"? And how important is it that you confront them about it? If someone is habitually late, maybe it's a sign of disrespect OR maybe he's just disorganized OR maybe he just needs a watch. Do you really need to have a fight about it?

And it seem really crazy to text something confrontational.
Maybe being late is a means of exerting power. I had a friend who was always 30 or more minutes late. Funny though, when she received a sizable inheritance, she suddenly was always on time. Maybe the money was empowering, as she went from being a sweet person to being entitled and pushy. The change was startling.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:59 PM

7,088 posts, read 7,016,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post

I would say ideas instead of their own facts.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I would say ideas instead of their own facts.
I think I understand what you're saying. Thanks.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Maybe being late is a means of exerting power. I had a friend who was always 30 or more minutes late
Interesting. In about 15 per cent of the families I've worked with the younger or youngest child, especially in their adulthood, is chronically late for when and where they've agreed to be scheduled to be. Not so much for work or for school but for family meetings/functions.

Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM

187 posts, read 33,045 times
I have been as honest as I can in most of my life. I have only felt bad about lying.
I've been judged for being "impolite", for being "brutally honest" and I was wondering why.
I've met people who lie to themselves about why they do nice things for other people. Saying they are using others, when in the end they are the ones on the losing side. People will lie about anything, but it's only to protect themselves. who needs protection from the truth?

After a certain point my friends stopped misunderstanding what I am saying. They learned to value the truth for what it is.
It is not a judgement, it is not unkind, it is just the reality and a weight off your shoulders. It kind of makes you stronger.

I can understand that if your whole life has been really difficult, it will be hard to accept some things, but as Mama Ru says:
"If you can't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else?"
Amen.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM

43 posts, read 11,118 times
Quote:
Is this a personality flaw of mine? I think to understand people best I need to figure out WHY they act the way they do.
Analyze all you like. Just don't tell them, especially if not asked. Just because you think something is true doesn't mean you need to convince someone else of the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology