U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:06 PM

980 posts, read 1,042,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I’ll pay for conveniences and I have no interest in being “handy,” I just want to pay to have the job done right by someone else so I can do what I want to be doing.
I'm the same way. I'm not handy at all and would rather just pay someone to do it than spend hours I'll never get back trying to do the work myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 09:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 357,170 times
Time is more important to me.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

1,014 posts, read 352,091 times
It depends on the situation. I am usually more stingy with money because I have a lot of free/flexible time. My husband OTOH has little free time so he is more stingy with it.

EX: On July 4, I had to convince him to take a voluntary bump on Delta. It cost us a seven hour delay of vacation time, but we each got a $1000 Amex gift card and lunch & dinner vouchers. We live 15 minutes from the airport, so it was a no-brainer to me.

I usually go for the best price and I will shop around on almost everything. I use Hotwire/Priceline to get steep discounts on 4* and 5* hotels. But I will pay more for nonstop flights because I hate layovers. I will pay more for upgraded seats on long trips.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

729 posts, read 483,906 times
Time. Though it might be because of where I am in life right now. My life is comfortable now. 30 years ago when I didn't have much, it might have been money.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

6,614 posts, read 2,384,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Time, time, time. Definitely time. I've never understood going around to different stores to pick up something because it was a little cheaper than somewhere else, meanwhile what about the gas you're burning?

Also, people who plot and plan around expected sales and clip coupons so they're basically paying $0.00 on their grocery bill. The amount of work going into that astonishes me.

I will NEVER be THAT person, but I've often thought that if I was a stay at home wife, I'd be a lot better about shopping with coupons and shopping at different stores to save money.

But coupons are a weird thing (for me). For instance, a coupon for a tube of toothpaste, "buy one, get the next one half off" but but but...I don't NEED 2 tubes of toothpaste, and I don't want to spend my grocery budget on "stock up items" which then, I'm going to have to find a home for, somewhere in my house. lol I don't have big pantries...where am I supposed to put all this extra stuff?

Many years ago, my husband had been laid off, so he took over the grocery shopping. He would do stuff like buy multiple bottles of catsup and mustard because the store was having "10 items for $10". The same thing for boxes of mac and cheese...10 for 10, so he'd buy 10. And cans of ravioli...10 for 10.

Yeah...great, he got great deals on this stuff...meanwhile, where am I supposed to put all this extra stuff? PLUS he's spending $300 a week (out of MY budget) on this crap! LOL

I took the role of grocery shopping back from him. He was making me broke. lol

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

1,014 posts, read 352,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I will NEVER be THAT person, but I've often thought that if I was a stay at home wife, I'd be a lot better about shopping with coupons and shopping at different stores to save money.

But coupons are a weird thing (for me). For instance, a coupon for a tube of toothpaste, "buy one, get the next one half off" but but but...I don't NEED 2 tubes of toothpaste, and I don't want to spend my grocery budget on "stock up items" which then, I'm going to have to find a home for, somewhere in my house. lol I don't have big pantries...where am I supposed to put all this extra stuff?

Many years ago, my husband had been laid off, so he took over the grocery shopping. He would do stuff like buy multiple bottles of catsup and mustard because the store was having "10 items for $10". The same thing for boxes of mac and cheese...10 for 10, so he'd buy 10. And cans of ravioli...10 for 10.

Yeah...great, he got great deals on this stuff...meanwhile, where am I supposed to put all this extra stuff? PLUS he's spending $300 a week (out of MY budget) on this crap! LOL

I took the role of grocery shopping back from him. He was making me broke. lol
I rarely use coupons for grocery shopping. They are mostly for processed food and junk. I tend to shop store specials instead. I won't go to multiple stores either. A waste of time and gas for me. I set a budget and that is what I spend.

As a stay at home wife, I do think time is money. I save a lot of money comparison shopping large ticket items - travel, appliances, cars, etc. I enjoy getting a deal.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

10,236 posts, read 12,267,752 times
I'm cheap but I try to consider the whole picture.

The other day I got my haircut, been going to the same girl for years. I was in the area, had time to kill. $29 haircut, but I had a $10 off coupon on my desk. I just got my haircut and paid full price. The 30 minute round trip drive to get the coupon wasn't worth $10 to me.

If I am in an area of expensive gas stations. I will put $5-10 in and get gas later at a cheaper station. I just did this in Philly, filling a rental car I saved $11. Out of principle it would annoy me to pay $3 a gallon when I can buy it down the road (away from the airport) for $2.50. Driving a rented Inifnity QX80 it really made a difference, truck was a pig on gas!

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

11,564 posts, read 13,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinThruIt View Post
Neither. I give of myself freely, and I've always been generous. Yes, I got a lot of good things in childhood.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

1,838 posts, read 742,845 times
I'm definitely stingy with money. I hate spending money and wish I could get everything for free. But I will grudgingly accept paying more money for convenience or something nicer, like a $100 watch over a $20 watch. Or a brand name toaster oven if it'll last longer.

But I'd rather eat at home to save money and buy groceries on sale, if possible. But I won't pay for whatever airport program that gives me lounge access at an airport (I'm not fancy that way.)

So no black and white answer here. But generally, I am really stingy with money.

Time isn't a big deal to me unless I'm on a deadline or have a commitment to someone to be somewhere.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

1,098 posts, read 491,164 times
Time moreso than money.

I would rather pay someone competent $10 or $20 to hem or alter something than struggle with it for an hour (or more) and do a crappy job. Having said that, I don't outsource everything - we don't have a cleaning service - but I'm very deliberate about what I'm willing to spend time on vs. hire out.

I'm also mindful of time commitments when I'm invited to things. i.e. what's the travel time to get there and back, how likely is it that people will be late, is it overlapping/interfering with something else I would rather be doing (even if that is relaxing at home after a long week).

I used to clip coupons for products I used regularly until my spouse cancelled the Sunday paper subscription. I don't really miss it, since more than half of them went unused anyways. I'll make a reasonable effort to comparison shop for big ticket items, but I won't scour the internet for 5 hours to score the cheapest something-something-latest technology-for-kids-Christmas (true story from a friend). I will freely spend for a special occasion (e.g. if I'm on vacation, or dinner out), but in general I don't buy things I don't need so it's not a big deal to splurge now and then. I too am amazed at how much time people are willing to burn to save a few bucks (bargain hunting, going from store to store, camping out on Black Friday or standing in really long lines, etc). Then they complain they have no time or are so busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or