U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

774 posts, read 397,424 times

Advertisements

Definately time. Spare time does not come easily here as i generally leave the house at 6:30am and don't roll back in till 7pm or later. Cook dinner and some quick chores and it's 10pm and bedtime. Rarely do I go back out during the week once I am home from the commute. If I want a beer I stop on the way home.

One weekend day is housework and mowing grass etc and the other is playtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

3,422 posts, read 3,186,306 times
Time. I never have enough so I'm unlikely to waste it on something or someone that I believe is not worthwhile. Money - always been generous with. Some people have it, some don't. If someone needs it and is not irresponsible, I have no issue parting with it.

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,538,753 times
This is fascinating how we all value time/money differently.

We're retired so have lots of time but limited money. Therefore, I budget travel for the cheapest fares no matter what. I don't mind being uncomfortable for a few hours, to save hundreds of bucks.

OTOH, I'll get a hotel in the downtown historic district because that's why I'm there--to see the sites. No interest in renting a car to stay in some cheaper place further out. We never rent cars and would rather pay a taxi.

We don't go to the fanciest restaurants, but when we do go out, I won't budget what we get.

We have a friend who brings his own cocktails to the bar/restaurant (they tolerate that here)! I'd never do that. We pay for our drinks, LOL. He'd rather clean his own condo than pay $3 an hour for a maid, which I am so happy that we do!

I've never used coupons and don't look for sales for food or clothes. If I can just find what I am looking for, that's good enough for me. Bonus if it looks good while wearing, LOL. Fashion holds no interest for me.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

23,603 posts, read 17,589,896 times
It depends.

I like summer and things related to summer, like baseball and boating. I'm much more focused on optimizing my time for the things that I can do only in the summer.

During the winter, I'm much more likely to do X than to pay someone else to do it.

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

980 posts, read 1,042,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is fascinating how we all value time/money differently.

We're retired so have lots of time but limited money. Therefore, I budget travel for the cheapest fares no matter what. I don't mind being uncomfortable for a few hours, to save hundreds of bucks.

OTOH, I'll get a hotel in the downtown historic district because that's why I'm there--to see the sites. No interest in renting a car to stay in some cheaper place further out. We never rent cars and would rather pay a taxi.

We don't go to the fanciest restaurants, but when we do go out, I won't budget what we get.

We have a friend who brings his own cocktails to the bar/restaurant (they tolerate that here)! I'd never do that. We pay for our drinks, LOL. He'd rather clean his own condo than pay $3 an hour for a maid, which I am so happy that we do!

I've never used coupons and don't look for sales for food or clothes. If I can just find what I am looking for, that's good enough for me. Bonus if it looks good while wearing, LOL. Fashion holds no interest for me.
I agree with you regarding hotels. I'm the same way.

As far as flights, I'm willing to pay a little more to fly between 10 am and 3 pm. I try to avoid late flights because I don't want to be driving around late at night in an unfamiliar city -- at least not until I've been there one or two nights and have grown comfortable with my environs.

And I don't like doing anything super early in the morning unless I absolutely have to. We're always at the airport two hours before our flight and would rather get there when the sun is out.

As for hiring a maid, it isn't so much about the money as it is having someone in my home while I'm not there. You never really know who you can trust.

A friend recently told me that he feels embarrassed using coupons because it makes him feel poorer than he really is. The way I see it, if I can spend $10 less on something, why not? Companies are rich enough as it is, and that's $10 I can use on something else. But that's just me.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

4,051 posts, read 2,623,940 times
Time. I'd rather pay someone to fix something, cut the grass or clean the house than spend the time doing it myself.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

7,802 posts, read 4,395,350 times
Both, and I make no apology for either.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

4,440 posts, read 4,298,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Iím with you OP - time. I am very frugal, sometimes my fiancť calls me cheap (but never with gift giving - I go all out), because I donít really want to pay more for a meal out than I must or because I wait until something on my Amazon list goes on sale then buy it, even if it takes 6 months. But Iím most guarded about my time because like you said it isnít coming back. I have many sources of passive income and investments so money literally replenishes itself without my time being involved, meaning the only truly precious resource is my time. Iíll pay for conveniences and I have no interest in being ďhandy,Ē I just want to pay to have the job done right by someone else so I can do what I want to be doing.

I notice a lot of people simply donít value their time or theyíre not logical. Theyíll make $85/hour but be unwilling to pay a housekeeper $20/hour to clean their house, instead wasting their own time doing it. Truly baffling.
This is my stance as well. I'm not stingy with money, but I am frugal and there is a difference. I hate wasting money on gadgets and stuff. I'd rather travel and live in a smaller house, while saving as much as I can for the next 15-20 years when I retire. I also have no issue with paying a housekeeper once a month or so, especially if I have company coming over.

I can be stingy with my time also because I hate wasting it. When I'm off from work, I try to be as productive as possible, whether its reading a self improvement book, going to the gym, or going on a date. I've been limiting my dating because its a waste of my time, for example.

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

4,440 posts, read 4,298,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I will NEVER be THAT person, but I've often thought that if I was a stay at home wife, I'd be a lot better about shopping with coupons and shopping at different stores to save money.

But coupons are a weird thing (for me). For instance, a coupon for a tube of toothpaste, "buy one, get the next one half off" but but but...I don't NEED 2 tubes of toothpaste, and I don't want to spend my grocery budget on "stock up items" which then, I'm going to have to find a home for, somewhere in my house. lol I don't have big pantries...where am I supposed to put all this extra stuff?

Many years ago, my husband had been laid off, so he took over the grocery shopping. He would do stuff like buy multiple bottles of catsup and mustard because the store was having "10 items for $10". The same thing for boxes of mac and cheese...10 for 10, so he'd buy 10. And cans of ravioli...10 for 10.

Yeah...great, he got great deals on this stuff...meanwhile, where am I supposed to put all this extra stuff? PLUS he's spending $300 a week (out of MY budget) on this crap! LOL

I took the role of grocery shopping back from him. He was making me broke. lol
Umm, yeah.....I thought everyone knew that $10 for $10 was a marketing ploy. You could still just buy 1 for $1 with those grocery sales. Its pre-programmed into the registers.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

5,847 posts, read 8,611,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
They say that time is money.

Are you stingier with your time or your money?

For me, it's time because while you can always recoup money, you can't get back time once it's gone.

I am careful with my money and will use a coupon whenever it's available. However, I'm willing to pay more for stuff that will provide convenience and save me time (e.g., booking hotels near the action while on trips so that I avoid wasting time driving around/getting stuck in traffic, having groceries delivered, etc.).

So for me, I'd rather pay for convenience than bells and whistles.

How about you?
I am definitely more stingy with my time than my money. It makes sense because money is more plentiful for me than time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or