U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 01:39 PM

979 posts, read 1,042,793 times

Advertisements

They say that time is money.

Are you stingier with your time or your money?

For me, it's time because while you can always recoup money, you can't get back time once it's gone.

I am careful with my money and will use a coupon whenever it's available. However, I'm willing to pay more for stuff that will provide convenience and save me time (e.g., booking hotels near the action while on trips so that I avoid wasting time driving around/getting stuck in traffic, having groceries delivered, etc.).

So for me, I'd rather pay for convenience than bells and whistles.

How about you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 01:51 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,437,910 times
Time, money, and effort for me.

One example, last year I was in Phoenix on business, with the majority of my business related activities near the airport. I found the cheapest reasonable hotel I could find (it happened to be in Mesa), and rented an Ford F-150 to get around in because it was the cheapest/on special. My time in the area had an indefinite end, so I was just going to roll with that.

I came to realize that I wasted a lot of time and money going back and forth from Mesa to the airport.

So, I checked out of that hotel, found one for about the same price/slightly more only one exit from the airport, and traded in that F-150 for a Ford Fusion Hybrid. I realized I had so much more time, money, and happiness after doing that.

Just gotta do what makes sense overall IMO.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:07 AM

57 posts, read 411,748 times
Neither. I give of myself freely, and I've always been generous. Yes, I got a lot of good things in childhood.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:30 AM

3,075 posts, read 4,207,939 times
My time. I have several friends who always want me to hang out; however, the older I've gotten, the more I like to be on my own sometimes. I'm very generous with money. I need to give a little more of myself at times. I still hang out with friends on the weekends, but I could definitely give more of myself. I am lucky that I have good friends who accept that I am busy a lot with work and other obligations.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM

3,583 posts, read 1,383,703 times
since the question is an "either-or": money.
i volunteer a lot and i shop on Craig's List.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:41 AM

5,588 posts, read 5,923,696 times
I’m with you OP - time. I am very frugal, sometimes my fiancé calls me cheap (but never with gift giving - I go all out), because I don’t really want to pay more for a meal out than I must or because I wait until something on my Amazon list goes on sale then buy it, even if it takes 6 months. But I’m most guarded about my time because like you said it isn’t coming back. I have many sources of passive income and investments so money literally replenishes itself without my time being involved, meaning the only truly precious resource is my time. I’ll pay for conveniences and I have no interest in being “handy,” I just want to pay to have the job done right by someone else so I can do what I want to be doing.

I notice a lot of people simply don’t value their time or they’re not logical. They’ll make $85/hour but be unwilling to pay a housekeeper $20/hour to clean their house, instead wasting their own time doing it. Truly baffling.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 AM

14,702 posts, read 10,781,635 times
Time, time, time. Definitely time. I've never understood going around to different stores to pick up something because it was a little cheaper than somewhere else, meanwhile what about the gas you're burning?

Also, people who plot and plan around expected sales and clip coupons so they're basically paying $0.00 on their grocery bill. The amount of work going into that astonishes me.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:36 PM

211 posts, read 35,073 times
Definitely money - saving money gives me pleasure - I have a hard time spending money sometimes even though I have plenty. I have no problem with big purchases if I feel like I am getting a deal. I do not "work" to save except on big purchases, I just buy things that are on sale.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:47 PM

3,356 posts, read 858,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
They say that time is money.

Are you stingier with your time or your money?

For me, it's time because while you can always recoup money, you can't get back time once it's gone.

I am careful with my money and will use a coupon whenever it's available. However, I'm willing to pay more for stuff that will provide convenience and save me time (e.g., booking hotels near the action while on trips so that I avoid wasting time driving around/getting stuck in traffic, having groceries delivered, etc.).

So for me, I'd rather pay for convenience than bells and whistles.

How about you?
Being an overtime hog, this is highly dependent on whether there is an opportunity cost to me not working available hours. When I know I can't work more than 40 hours, I have no problem using my off hours to DIY as much as I can. During the rush season, I outsource more.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 PM

2,675 posts, read 2,041,048 times
I would say money. I'm not much of a giver when it comes to money. I don't spoil my niece and nephew with gifts. Only on their birthday & Christmas. They'll remember how much time I spent with them not the gifts I buy them unless it was sentimental or something they really like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or