U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 AM

36 posts, read 11,033 times

Advertisements

I kind a figure that one in school was fake and in reality, life isn't fair. There's more shades of grey. Sure, many bullies in my school were interested more in drinking, partying, and having sex than academics leading to long term unemployment, homelessness, cut off from parents but the reality in my school was that many bullies came from privileged backgrounds and those who they bullied either ended up okay or killing themselves.

I heard an article that said bullied kids are actually MORE likely to end up in prison in some circumstances. Again, it's not as black and white as being bullied/being a bully.

Did you find this to be the case in your school? Were the kids who bullied others ever rewarded with karma or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 10:19 AM

43,444 posts, read 41,976,963 times
Not in my experience. The "bullies" at my school were upper middle class kids.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,154,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
The A students work for the C students.
The A students majored in STEM, work 60 hour weeks in windowless buildings, and are constantly at risk of layoffs.
The C students are in "Sales", earn three times more than the STEM kids, work at home 35 hours a week and play a lot of golf.
Exactly!!

Old 07-16-2019, 07:37 PM

8,927 posts, read 13,689,809 times
I really don't know, or care. I have no contact with the bullies from my school - don't even have any mutual acquaintances so I don't even hear anything through the grape vine (when you go to a school with about 900 kids per grade, you can't possibly stay in the know about all of them). I'm perfectly happy not knowing - what a waste of time and energy it would be to keep track of people who aren't worth it.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 AM

8,927 posts, read 13,689,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
Bullying is pretty much in middle school. Elementary school kids are still kids and afraid of doing something wrong and are interested in having fun. It is totally uncool to be a bully in High school. Middle school kids are the worst.
Maybe in your experience, but I was bullied from elementary school all the way through high school. Started in about 3rd grade and by my senior year of high school I was having panic attacks before leaving to get the bus. And frankly, I still see adults now and again who are bullies. It's really got nothing to do with age.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:36 PM

2,301 posts, read 520,246 times
We all get angry at times - but bullies are different in they are trying to work through their own insecurities and feelings of inferiority/jealousy by belittling someone they see as ‘weaker’ (and is often done in groups where they feel ‘stronger’ by aligning with other people’). One can see it online often - the pretty girl who is bullied and called ‘stupid’ (because they have to come up with some way to feel superior) is a good example which plays out in all kinds of ways by all types of bullies. Some simply enjoy bringing people down - and the more attractive and/or successful they are, the better, as evidenced by all of the people who personally attack/bully celebrities online on a daily basis. If we are happy in our own lives, we simply don’t care (or waste time/attention) - but too many need an ego fix by way of tearing someone else down.

I can see there being truth to bullies eventually working for nerds (who they are probably resentful/jealous of as well) if they never matured or grew out of this behavior or developed healthy ways of advancing their own positive self-esteem without the need to bring someone else down. Effective communication is part of success as well - and a ‘bully’ isn’t likely to receive promotions/positive reviews (and often finds himself in various altercations and ‘scuffles’ with bosses and co-workers as well) which, of course, hinders their own success.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 AM

26,152 posts, read 28,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I really don't know, or care. I have no contact with the bullies from my school - don't even have any mutual acquaintances so I don't even hear anything through the grape vine (when you go to a school with about 900 kids per grade, you can't possibly stay in the know about all of them). I'm perfectly happy not knowing - what a waste of time and energy it would be to keep track of people who aren't worth it.
^^These are my thoughts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology