Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 09:37 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times

Advertisements

I have a male friend who is married, and they both have a son, and the son looks nothing him or the wife, race wise. They are white, where as the son looks very African, at least to me.

However, my friend seems to buy that the kid is completely his and I wonder if he is so in love with the kid, that he it never occurred to him how black the kid looks compared to him or his wife?

I wonder if this is normal among parents though, like a syndrome if you will, where as they are in love with their child, and do not realize it's probably not theirs, no matter how unlike you they look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 PM

250 posts, read 147,906 times
Some people are oblivious to the possibility the child may not be theirs. This is because never in a million years would they think their partner cheated. As far as an official syndrome, I have never heard of such but how bout "ironpony" syndrome? It's an unspoken rule that those that "discover" get to name ...its your call.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I have a male friend who is married, and they both have a son, and the son looks nothing him or the wife, race wise. They are white, where as the son looks very African, at least to me.

However, my friend seems to buy that the kid is completely his and I wonder if he is so in love with the kid, that he it never occurred to him how black the kid looks compared to him or his wife?

I wonder if this is normal among parents though, like a syndrome if you will, where as they are in love with their child, and do not realize it's probably not theirs, no matter how unlike you they look?
Well, maybe they know something they have chosen not to share. Traits do show up from past generations too. Have you seen all their family pictures to know for certain this child doesn't resemble anyone? Why does it matter to anyone but them?

Old 07-09-2019, 08:17 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

I have a cousin, who looks nothing like her parents. She has a dark complexion, and in her teens, her hair turned kind of frizzy, when she grew it out really long. Now she keeps it short, so it looks more straight, or slightly wavy. I heard, that after giving birth, when they showed her her child in the hospital, her mom asked if they were sure that the baby was hers, and they said it was. The only possible explanation the parents could come up with, was that she must be a genetic throwback to pre-Indo-European people in the part of Europe they have ancestry from. I don't know if this theory holds water. I don't know what to make of it.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM

341 posts, read 284,676 times
I have a cousin who is obese. Both of her parents are thin, but her dad's sister is obese. I guess there are ways genetic traits can be acquired. Maybe in the case of the original poster, there was a black person in the family tree.

Reminds me of these meme:

Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, maybe they know something they have chosen not to share. Traits do show up from past generations too. Have you seen all their family pictures to know for certain this child doesn't resemble anyone? Why does it matter to anyone but them?
I have four kids. Sometimes, when I'm out and about with them, someone will say something like "oh, your little girl is ...." or "Is this your little girl....."

And I reply with: "Probably, but I never took a blood test but for tax purposes they're mine."

Old 07-09-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I have a cousin, who looks nothing like her parents. She has a dark complexion, and in her teens, her hair turned kind of frizzy, when she grew it out really long. Now she keeps it short, so it looks more straight, or slightly wavy. I heard, that after giving birth, when they showed her her child in the hospital, her mom asked if they were sure that the baby was hers, and they said it was. The only possible explanation the parents could come up with, was that she must be a genetic throwback to pre-Indo-European people in the part of Europe they have ancestry from. I don't know if this theory holds water. I don't know what to make of it.

Why not take a blood test to be sure? "If you haven't done anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about."

Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
Dude knows what's up, at least in the back of his mind. If he wants to live the delusion that's his business. I wouldn't bring it up.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:00 AM

740 posts, read 455,624 times
I don't have any kids but if I did, I can tell very easily. My family genes are pretty strong. I'm almost an exact replica of my dad and grandfather. Chances are I may look almost exactly like my great grandfather too if we had pictures of him. All my siblings have a certain look to them that I know that they are my siblings. My nieces and nephews have a certain look to them that I know they belong to my family. So, yeah, I could easily ID if a kid was mine or not. But I don't have kids so I don't have to worry about it.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Why not take a blood test to be sure? "If you haven't done anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A close friend of mine, African American, had at least one grandparent that could "Pass" for white.

Another classmate from school has a father that by appearances (I've never met him) is African American; not mixed or anything. He appears Hispanic or Indian; he has fine straight hair.

My parents both have Hazel Eyes. Two of their three kids have brown eyes, one blue eyes. Two of us are olive toned, the other is fair. My Dad is sort of fair skinned and my mother gets sunburnt checking the mail. But we all look enough like both parents that its not in question (and my uncles have darker skin than my Dad.)

Another close friend of mine: His dad is Italian and Polish. His Dad looks Italian; skin tone, hair, etc. He has somewhat springy hair. His Mom is Assyrian, which is to say her family emigrated from modern day Iraq, Turkey or Syria. She's lighter than his Dad.

Then you talk about hair. I went to High School with a girl that was off the boat from Ireland. She had tightly curly black hair (and was very Irish lookin in skin, eyes and face.) I similarly had an English teacher that had somewhat kinky hair who was very "Irish looking" and came from South Boston from an Irish family.

Take a look at something that's well understood, like eye color. If you look at the possible outcomes, and then think of something less understood, you begin to understand that phenotypes that are expressed can be hard to predict with certainty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology