U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 PM

4,460 posts, read 4,307,383 times

Advertisements

I can certainly understand as well as anyone how words could lead you down that path if you're prone to depression. People who have never been through depression simply won't get it. My mother programmed me to believe I wasn't ever going to be good enough. I've had to work my a*s off to deprogram that message. Anyway, I certainly relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 03:35 PM

147 posts, read 21,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
FWIW, doesn't really sound as if you are "dealing with it" or fighting it. Sorry to hear that.
What do you mean by that? if she wasn't dealing with it or fighting it, she wouldn't be posting today because she would be dead.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:27 PM

17,441 posts, read 21,278,178 times
People overlook the fact that you can use compliments as weapons. In the Far East it's been said that compliments can enslave people.

When you're around your "enemy" some time, and he says something that's totally idiotic, you say: "I wish I had your intelligence!", and said sincerely. And these sociopaths would never stop for a minute to think you're being cruel and abusive to them.

You can also be very cagey. When I run into a rabid Trump supporter, I'll add: I just hope Trump doesn't die in office as I love him! Actually, I hate his guts, but what's behind the cagey-ness: I don't want Pence to take his place!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:34 PM

7,211 posts, read 2,969,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston196 View Post
What do you mean by that? if she wasn't dealing with it or fighting it, she wouldn't be posting today because she would be dead.
I meant that self medicating and isolating away from potential comments may just blot them out or avoid them, instead of deal with them or learn to neutralize them.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 AM

729 posts, read 266,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I meant that self medicating and isolating away from potential comments may just blot them out or avoid them, instead of deal with them or learn to neutralize them.
I tell you what then? Let's trade places and see if you can do a better job. What nonsense. I haven't killed myself yet so that's something.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 AM

182 posts, read 31,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I tell you what then? Let's trade places and see if you can do a better job. What nonsense. I haven't killed myself yet so that's something.
Someday you need to start listening to other peoples' well-meaning advice instead of just listening to your self hatred.
Stop comparing. There are always people who have it worse.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 AM

729 posts, read 266,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
Someday you need to start listening to other peoples' well-meaning advice instead of just listening to your self hatred.
Stop comparing. There are always people who have it worse.
^^ things NOT to say to someone struggling.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:48 AM

182 posts, read 31,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
^^ things NOT to say to someone struggling.
I'm just saying it's useless to compare. You are enough as you are, you may be struggling now, but maybe some days are easier. maybe medicating and socializing helps. As you said, you are alive, and that's really something.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:54 AM

1,460 posts, read 809,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
How did you let go?

Time.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:07 AM

16,133 posts, read 12,881,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
How did you let go?
I take mean words as a dare. I prove them wrong even if it it costs me a leg and an arm. I have been the punching bag at school (even teachers laughed at me) and had no resources to fight it because I had no support from my parents. I just existed and finally was old enough to earn money and make my own decisions.

I worked my a$$ off as soon as I was out of my parents house. I worked hard to find mental health, turn my body into a machine and make the best out of what I have and passed most of them in life skills, education, finances and happiness. If someone says to me "you are too ... to do/be ..." I am going to prove that person wrong. What doesn't kill you makes you strong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or