Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,444,806 times

Advertisements

How did you let go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 11:41 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Suicidal????? I conduct myself properly and I just don't care what people say about me.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Tell us what happened.

Are you suicidal? Do you need help right now?

Old 07-18-2019, 11:50 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,402 times
The harsh word from others sometime is hard to bear, but you can avoid suicidal thoughts by focusing on doing something else in your life, such as playing some basketball or go do some running.

I personally think is normal for people to have suicidal thoughts, but you simply need to know how to manage it.

The world we live in today are cruel and selfish, so do the best you can to stay well and alive.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:01 PM

719 posts, read 427,637 times
I've simply accepted the truth that life is sometimes difficult, that not everyone will like me, and sometimes you may be wrong or do something wrong, but it's OK.
Everyone makes mistakes. We are human. There's always a reason behind a failure. Sometimes that reason is just the truth. We are afraid, we are alone, we are weak, and it's perfectly ok because everyone is. Everyone feels afraid sometimes, everyone feels alone sometimes, everyone is weak sometimes. And it doesn't matter.
It doesn't matter what you think now. What matters is what you think next. You have come to understand that life is tough because of something that happened. There's nothing to get over. Life is life. It's bittersweet, it's messy, it has it's ups and downs you should love it for all of it. Look at it from afar and don't take it so seriously. If you look at something from really far, it is just a point. A point in your life that wasn't good. Clearly you've seen better days. Don't you wanna have better days? Wasn't that summer amazing? Isn't that friend of yours so funny that sometimes you can't breathe from laughter?
That beautiful movie that made you feel things!

Everything is worth it. And I want everything.

That's what I thought.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:32 PM

854 posts, read 520,000 times
All the time. For being ugly, stupid and useless.

How do I deal with it? Self harm, self medicstion and avoiding people as much as possible, especially kids and teens who still target me as if I was one of them.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post

How do I deal with it? Self harm, self medicstion and avoiding people as much as possible, especially kids and teens who still target me as if I was one of them.
FWIW, doesn't really sound as if you are "dealing with it" or fighting it. Sorry to hear that.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:38 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post

I am sorry. I have followed your story over the years and am sorry to hear it has not improved.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:39 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
How did you let go?
Its tough, because it is easy to let others define you.

I find it helps to put their comments into perspective.

First, I ask myself if what they said was true or not. Most of the time it isn't, so I can dismiss it as malicious; not worth the stress.

Then I ask myself whether that person has some agenda behind their remarks...are they jealous? Just a nasty person to other people? Are they so buried in their own self-imposed misery they have to spread it around to include others? If so, maybe a little bit of patience or compassion can help me dismiss what they said.

Then I ask myself why someone would say or think what they do. Or, whether they are the only person to say such things about me. If they are the only one, maybe its them, not me. If others also tend to have those comments, maybe I need to dig into it. Did I give them any reason for it? If not, I can drop it as irrelevant. If yes, I may have done something to create that impression I start working on why. That can lead to self improvement or self awareness. Not a bad thing to re-assess yourself sometimes.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,035 times
For the most part, I get far more frustrated and upset over stuff that I say... that does often eat away at me.

As for other people's opinions, these fall into three categories:
  1. What they say has little to do with me and more to do with them and their ego. These are easy to spot and even easier to dismiss for they hold no weight and are of no consequence.

2. Their criticism/observation is valid and constructive, in which case I'm grateful and look at it as an opportunity to learn and improve.

3. Their remarks do hold some merit (i.e. they are not without reason) but on closer inspection are largely uninformed and relatively easy to counter; however because they resonate with my deeply held insecurities and fears and add fuel to the flame, they are impossible to dismiss without addressing my own insecurities first. Here, the fault is clearly not with the person uttering the painful remarks but with my harboring these insidious thoughts to begin with and unwillingness or inability to deal with my own personal demons. To rise to these remarks is to rise against those demons and it could be quite a challenge, which is why those who already battle suicidal ideation can experience the resurgence of dark thoughts when confronted with words that are just a little too close to heart.

With me it all just comes down to stubbornness. I refuse to be goaded by other people whilst I'm still in control of my faculties. If the problem lies with me then it's my responsibility. If I can't or choose not to deal with it, then I can't really hold other people noticing my weaknesses against them (it's like getting upset at someone telling you your fly is open). And since these insecurities don't just appear out of nothing, I can't really justify falling apart because someone happened to bring them to the surface. So other people become immaterial in the equation where I'm the main variable. For this reason, other people's words rarely harm me. Here I remain my own worst and biggest enemy.

Last edited by Itzpapalotl; 07-18-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology