U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 08:31 AM

10,007 posts, read 8,239,416 times

Advertisements

Trying to make long story short. Counseling for PTSD brought to light autism, Aspergers. Went to be tested and when asked if I felt anxiety I said no. He pointed out I was suffering anxiety and used some unconscious habits I was displaying, nail biting and hair twisting. Iíve been doing this for nearly 50 years and there are times I donít even realize Iím doing it. Sometimes my nail biting gets down to drawing blood. When I try to stop and my nails grow, so does the temptation. Hair twisting is a weird one. I can go all through a shift at work without touching my hair because Iím conscious of how it makes me look but once I start to relax at home the fingers go to the hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 AM

414 posts, read 75,332 times
So, what's the solution?

Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 AM

43,579 posts, read 42,148,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Trying to make long story short. Counseling for PTSD brought to light autism, Aspergers. Went to be tested and when asked if I felt anxiety I said no. He pointed out I was suffering anxiety and used some unconscious habits I was displaying, nail biting and hair twisting. Iíve been doing this for nearly 50 years and there are times I donít even realize Iím doing it. Sometimes my nail biting gets down to drawing blood. When I try to stop and my nails grow, so does the temptation. Hair twisting is a weird one. I can go all through a shift at work without touching my hair because Iím conscious of how it makes me look but once I start to relax at home the fingers go to the hair.
You may have done too good a job making this story short.

Sounds like you have noticed some things you weren't aware of before. Do you have a question about it?

Old 07-22-2019, 08:43 AM

36,815 posts, read 42,104,607 times
How much does the fidgeting behavior impact your life and functioning?

There are a lot of manifestations of anxiety that cause real functioning issues for people, and others that are fairly mild, as far as noticeable impact.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 AM

10,007 posts, read 8,239,416 times
With the move to a new house my hair twisting and nail biting is about as bad as high school years. Any tips on quitting or at least cut back?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 AM

414 posts, read 75,332 times
Quote:
Any tips on quitting or at least cut back?
See a professional, an MD.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 AM

43,579 posts, read 42,148,483 times
Quote:
With the move to a new house my hair twisting and nail biting is about as bad as high school years. Any tips on quitting or at least cut back?
Have you seen a medical doctor after your diagnosis?

Has your counselor helped you with other coping mechanisms?

There are ways to "talk yourself through" these episodes, but your counselor is closer to your situation and better prepared to be helpful.

The fact that you are now aware that you are doing it is a positive first step toward stopping.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:43 PM

237 posts, read 55,014 times
My daughter was a bad nail biter. I don't get my nails done, but a friend told me about gel nails; they can even make them look natural for men. The gel hardens like epoxy, though I don't think it's that. She had them done for a couple of years and never bit them though she did start chewing on her mouth, so then we started sugar-free gum. We're still with that...

Old 07-22-2019, 03:51 PM

3,678 posts, read 1,434,768 times
"Any tips on quitting or at least cut back?"
yes, for nail biting.
pay for nail manicures.
after spending money on them,
the temptation (for me) is minimized.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:06 AM

13,711 posts, read 13,669,445 times
I'm a constant nail/cuticle chewer. I've been having good luck breaking the habit lately but it's involving a whole regime. For one thing, I've taken a lot of steps to de-stress my life, as stress is the main trigger and the rest is just habit. I'm using a healing moisturizer intended for skin cracks on my cuticles to keep them smooth and healthy, and I'm painting my nails with a clear and bitter polish. Once I get things healthy looking, I will go get a manicure and maybe gel nails.

Hair twirling I don't have much experience with. Can you get a fidget cube? It's something to keep in one hand and has a number of buttons and toggles to push - very satisfying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or