U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,648 posts, read 804,649 times
Reputation: 744

Advertisements

You know, this feeling where you try to compare past events with your current events and I guess try to get a sensation of how drastic the pronnouncation of life quality change has come I suppose or you develop some sort or "I miss my former peers and institutions" type of mentality?

I am speaking for myself so once again I apologize if I sound a bit vague


But I am sure some of you all get this feeling once in awhile, right?


You try to do a comparison between your past crazes, events, adventures and styles and your ongoing ones and try to get a feel of what has switched on you for the better or worse


Does the feeling though have a certain name? And why do we do this anyways considering the nature of unpredictability? Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Germany
186 posts, read 32,558 times
Reputation: 346
Nostalgia? The feeling of "oh how much we've grown, we used to do this and that and life was so simple and nice".
Without meaning that you don't appreciate your life now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:38 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,648 posts, read 804,649 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
Nostalgia? The feeling of "oh how much we've grown, we used to do this and that and life was so simple and nice".
Without meaning that you don't appreciate your life now.
So is just another sub-set of nostalgia?

Huh, I was expecting for sure to actually have a name for this feeling in existence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:59 AM
 
431 posts, read 84,848 times
Reputation: 784
Having or experiencing a historical perspective? If I'm not mistaken in psychology it's referred to as temporal comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:46 AM
 
6,690 posts, read 2,411,431 times
Reputation: 15378
To me, it sounds like you are becoming self aware, as opposed to self centered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Germany
186 posts, read 32,558 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
To me, it sounds like you are becoming self aware, as opposed to self centered.
This also passed my mind but I couldn't find the words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:45 AM
 
1,637 posts, read 753,585 times
Reputation: 8950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
You know, this feeling where you try to compare past events with your current events and I guess try to get a sensation of how drastic the pronnouncation of life quality change has come I suppose or you develop some sort or "I miss my former peers and institutions" type of mentality?

I am speaking for myself so once again I apologize if I sound a bit vague

But I am sure some of you all get this feeling once in awhile, right?

You try to do a comparison between your past crazes, events, adventures and styles and your ongoing ones and try to get a feel of what has switched on you for the better or worse

Does the feeling though have a certain name? And why do we do this anyways considering the nature of unpredictability? Thnx
You're what now – 17?

It's called Being Human and Growing Up.

I hope you *have* experienced some changes in "crazes, events, adventures and styles" since, say, you were a toddler or were in the fifth grade. You will cycle through changes more quickly in the first 20-25 years of your life. You can rate things as better or worse, miss things and people the way they were, but you can't go back.

You are conscious; you are evolving. You are not a turnip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top