U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 AM

6,873 posts, read 2,481,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I'm the guy you're putting the makeup on FOR. Women put makeup on to look good for guys - for example, red lipstick makes them look aroused (arousable). They wear high heels to accentuate their hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axd8FjufcHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6pHBs5rNY

Nope. No you're not. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 11:37 AM

10,490 posts, read 9,457,935 times
Pre-retirement I'd be up, showered, dressed, hair done and had breakfast and out of the house an hour after waking up.

Now that I'm retired, I could care less if it takes me 3 hours to get out of the house!

Old 07-24-2019, 11:44 AM

3,634 posts, read 1,596,449 times
About 35 min. total. 15 min. for make-up, 10 min. get dressed, 5 min. hair, 5 min. collecting stuff to go.

Prefer showers after work, before bed.

Now in retirement, we allow at least an hour. Don't want to rush anything.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 AM

557 posts, read 234,312 times
I won't post my routine or times. But I get to the gym by 3:30 am and am at work by 6 am. It takes me 2 hours to get ready to go to the gym. From gym (quick flash shower, let hair down and change) and off to work.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:48 AM

3,649 posts, read 931,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The grave problem is to minimize the time between waking up and starting your day. No doubt, there is a major time warp in the morning. From the time you get out of bed everything is pressing, to get the work day started. See What Do You Do While Shower is Warming Up? That is why I also shave in the shower. See Shaving in Shower or at Bathroom Sink? Or Elsewhere?

In short it's usually about an hour, give or take, from getting out of bed to putting the keys into the car's ignition. During that period I need to shower, shave, get something to eat, program my day and rearrange the cars in the driveway (one car garage) so that the rest of the family can leave in the right order. Anything that shaves (no pun intended) time off that period is of value. This morning I managed to get out in 50 minutes so that I could be the first customer at the barber shop. At the price of eating breakfast, one-third of a head of lettuce, on the road.
It CAN be as little as one hour, but sometimes, if I wake up earlier, it can be 1.5 to 2.

Shower, dry, dress
Eat, floss, brush
Dogs out, dogs fed, dogs in
Grab things, lock up, pull away

Old 07-24-2019, 03:33 PM

12,092 posts, read 7,428,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I'm the guy you're putting the makeup on FOR. Women put makeup on to look good for guys - for example, red lipstick makes them look aroused (arousable). They wear high heels to accentuate their hips.
You know it is funny, this morning while I was getting ready for work, I had a thought, and it occurred to me that it would make a fine response to share on any of the MANY threads over the years where a man so helpfully told women that the reasons for our choices in attire and appearance are for the benefit of men's eyes. But what were the chances this very subject would be raised? I'm not going to make a thread about it.

And here you are. So thanks, I guess.

I've heard women complain about this particular piece of logic because they feel that men always orient everything through the "male gaze." That to a man, literally every thing is about men, related to men, revolves around men. What goes on in a man's head must be the reason for a woman doing whatever she does. OK I get that particular flavor of umbrage, but I think there is a strong element, rather, of projection going on. Because (hetero, obviously) men make a lot of choices...some men make practically ALL of their choices...around impressing women, wooing women, getting women, attracting women, approaching women, whether for a one night stand or a lifelong relationship (which decision should be his to make, so long as he can get their attention in the first place.) It's been said that the greatest musicians, innovators, and leaders of government and industry, did it all for the nookie.

Well if that's even SORT OF true, then I get why men would really want to believe that women's choices about our day to day appearance are made to "attract a mate."

But I gotta let you in on a not-so-secret piece of information. We don't have to. Ya'll make it way too easy for most of us, and if we're not decent looking in general enough for that to be true, odds are, makeup and heels won't make it so. I don't think I get any more attention from men when I'm "cleaned up real good" than I do when I'm wearing baggy pants and a GWAR t-shirt. Actually the t-shirt usually gets the attention of random men more than anything. Makeup? I very rarely wear it. Less than once a month. And yet...

I don't have men chasing me online like some women I know, but the men I know in person, plenty of them have an interest. No heels or makeup needed.

The reasons that I occasionally dress this or that way, though, have nothing to do with reactions I want from men. Or don't. I give it no thought when I'm getting dressed and ready on any day. What I am after, is to be able to look in a mirror, and be happy with what I see. I tell you what, find a reflective surface, like a shop window, in public, and watch women walk by it if there are men (like you) around. See if they look at you to see if you're reacting, or if they look in the reflective surface at themselves. I'd bet money on the outcome of this one. The one opinion we care about more than any other, is our own. And it's the most fragile and critical one of all.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:55 PM

7,199 posts, read 11,271,326 times
Male here...

Wake up at 4:45AM
Shave & brush teeth 10 min's
Exercise 65 min's
Shower 15 min's
Dress / Pack lunch 10 min's
Keys in ignition approx. 6:30
Arrive to work 6:45
Sit in vehicle and read news, FB, etc. 15min's
Wander into office and work/socialize/surf web/etc. 60 min's
Official start time 8 AM

Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 PM

16,145 posts, read 6,372,216 times
Everyone is leaving out time for CD posting.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:17 PM

1,021 posts, read 229,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Everyone is leaving out time for CD posting.
Nope. I wait until I get to work to do that!

Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 PM

11,317 posts, read 8,522,653 times
Get up.
Let dogs out.

Fix dogs" breakfast and my tea.

Shower/ dress.

Take dogs to dog park by 6-630.
Be at work at 7.
Might have time to eat.

Must work in cleaning the litter box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology