U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 12:35 PM

9,930 posts, read 4,654,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
"Thinking outside the box."

Surely someone's had to have mentioned that. There's a few other buzz words that get used in a business setting. "Table that", or "Action items."

Ever played bullsh#t bingo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:26 PM

45,546 posts, read 36,634,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Really? I mean, at the end of the day we're just a bunch of people talking on the internet. Just sayin.
Right on. It is what it is. Check.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:18 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,195,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Our brains don't work as fast as our mouths do. At least mine doesn't, ya know? At the end of the day, I just need a few extra seconds, like, to gather my thoughts and then I'm all... okay. Don't get me wrong. I like spicy meatballs but I can't, like, have them every day. But I digress. We were talking about your grandma being in the hospital.

Just kidding around. But I understand what you're saying. I do my best not to use filler words when I'm speaking with another person, and especially if I'm speaking to a group of people. Nothing makes peoples' eyes glaze over faster than listening to a bunch of , "like, ya know, anyway..."
However, I am guilty of using the word, "actually" way too often and am trying to break myself of this annoying habit. It doesn't actually mean much and I should actually stop peppering my speech with it. Mmmm. Pepper. Meatballs. What were we talking about, again?
Literally.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:30 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,185,540 times
I say the word "Oh, Mercy", or sometimes I'll say "Have Mercy" quite a bit in stressful situations without even thinking about it.

It's hard to explain, but it rings me some temporary relief inside myself, some calmness, as well as some peace of mind.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 1,896,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Starting a conversation with "I mean. . ." Isn't it assumed that what comes out of your mouth is what you mean to say?

I get misunderstood a lot. Sometimes I lack articulation (more often in verbal speech) so that's probably why I am guilty of saying "I mean"

This is the same as "don't get me wrong".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Another one, used all the time but makes me cringe is "she passed". No, she didn't "pass", she died.
I have thanatophobia so any word I can use to avoid saying the d word is a word I'm going to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post

What I hate is the phrases with no feeling or are unpersonable, like how everything tough to deal with is a "challenge." It just plain sucks. What's so terrible about an adult expressing the emotion unhappiness or dislike? Or when they're having a hard time with something? Not every bad situation is a "challenge" that needs to be overcome. It's socially unacceptable and sounds immature and whiny when you verbalize exactly how bad a situation is, a mentality I DISLIKE.
"Nothing is easy" is what I get lately. I hate phrases like that too. A lot of the time when people say that, I'm not asking for situation in question to be easy but there is such a thing as too much adversity/challenge. If you have to compromise your health to improve your life, then a line should most likely be drawn.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:59 AM

9,969 posts, read 5,561,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I cringe whenever I hear someone say one of the following phrases:

1. But I digress.
2. Who knew?
3. Don't get me wrong.

The above are usually part of a sentence when describing something, but they are unnecessary. Why do people use the above phrases?
Because they let me play another person, if only for a second, and I like the way I feel when I do.

Let's take #2. Now, I don't quite use that one but rather, "Who wouldn't?".....and who do I fee like when I do? Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

"Don't get me wrong"? Not that phrase but often, "Now, don't take this the wrong way but..." because I often see things from a different angle and want to express myself.....though I don't think I feel like Captain Kirk in that moment. "Mr. Spock, don't take this the wrong way but.....why aren't you dead?".

"But I digress"? That's often mine like "short story in 25 volumes or less" or "long story short.....TOO LATE!".

Further, it gets into the abstract way I think.

But......it's like how I talk to small wild animals like squirrels. "Well, hi there, little guy! Yes, YOU!, with the bushy tail!". First of all, it let's the animal know I am there so "he" can escape if he wants. You should not corner a wild animal. Secondly, it calms me down from being startled from their sudden appearance.

And third? I get to play a southern belle or a Victoria Secret's model for a second.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:30 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,522,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I cringe whenever I hear someone say one of the following phrases:

1. But I digress.
2. Who knew?
3. Don't get me wrong.

The above are usually part of a sentence when describing something, but they are unnecessary. Why do people use the above phrases?
I mean, don't get me wrong. It is what it is. Like, I see where you're coming from. Whatever. But I digress. At the end of the day, none of it really amounts to a hill of beans. So why let it bother you?

Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 PM

10,041 posts, read 8,278,199 times
Whatnot

Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM

5,875 posts, read 8,652,734 times
I hate "just sayin'." It almost always follows a completely idiotic conclusion that has been reached.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

569 posts, read 262,599 times
"Not for nothing". Not sure what this means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or