U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 6,331,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I cringe whenever I hear someone say one of the following phrases:

1. But I digress.
2. Who knew?
3. Don't get me wrong.

The above are usually part of a sentence when describing something, but they are unnecessary. Why do people use the above phrases?
Add to it "at the end of the day...." It's people's way of not getting to the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

3,499 posts, read 899,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Starting a conversation with "I mean. . ." Isn't it assumed that what comes out of your mouth is what you mean to say?

I have a SIL that ends a lot of sentences with "and that."

Mom still talked about a high school teacher she had who said "In that respect" too frequently.

Verbal tics. To me they seem to be used to indicate a more credible level of speech that the speaker doesn't, for some reason, presently have the ability to communicate.
I never thought of them as that! That's a great term!

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

6,759 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I much prefer "Bill and me" to "me and Bill" but hey, that's just me - and not Bill.

If I was saying "Send this to me, as well as to Bill, who is my administrative assistant," I would actually probably say "Please send this to me, and also to Bill." "Me and Bill" sounds country bumpkin to me. But hey, I DIGRESS! LOL
Yes, it doesn't sound as good. But both are correct. Just a matter of style or social convention.

Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

4,440 posts, read 2,139,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I cringe whenever I hear someone say one of the following phrases:

1. But I digress.
2. Who knew?
3. Don't get me wrong.

The above are usually part of a sentence when describing something, but they are unnecessary. Why do people use the above phrases?
(1) I apologize for straying from the topic at hand.
(2) Not many people know this, but it's a well-researched fact.
(3) Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

Remember this (cover of an Animals song) from 1977?
"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"

https://youtu.be/8FMdaDEmcDg

Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM

2,002 posts, read 975,819 times
I still ask people to 'get a load of this' and greet longtime friends (and some acquaintances) whom I haven't seen for awhile with a heartfelt 'Look who it is!'

Rarely I will end a long, informative statement with 'Can you dig it?' and if he/she replies 'I can dig it' I slap them five and tell them, 'I kneeeewwwww that you could'.

Old Today, 02:12 AM

31 posts, read 2,575 times
Anything from 90s WB shows (on or off the internet), verbal tics (what my speech teacher in college said is, "thinking out loud"), "seriously," "legit," "what the what," "and so," "hate to be ___,"

Old Today, 07:12 AM

10,380 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well, yeah. Because it's incorrect.
Exactly - Correct would be to say "she gave the whatever to me and Bill". I remember from English class if you're not sure remove the other person from the sentence to figure out whether to use me or I.

She gave the whatever to I vs. she gave the whatever to me. And there is your grammar lesson for today. Although I am not sure if it should be me and Bill or Bill and me.....

Old Today, 07:19 AM

45,260 posts, read 36,447,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I still ask people to 'get a load of this' and greet longtime friends (and some acquaintances) whom I haven't seen for awhile with a heartfelt 'Look who it is!'

Rarely I will end a long, informative statement with 'Can you dig it?' and if he/she replies 'I can dig it' I slap them five and tell them, 'I kneeeewwwww that you could'.
And if they don't respond appropriately, you can always hit them over the head with a sock filled with tennis balls and say "Homie don't play dat."

Old Today, 07:40 AM

8,800 posts, read 7,745,598 times
This is just how people all over the world are. In every language you have equivalents. In every culture. There is no people that reject all filler phrases. That actually sounds way worse. Robotic.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

5,872 posts, read 4,885,739 times
I had a lady in my vanpool who held a fairly high level job at our company and I realized after awhile that I couldn't stand how she kept ending sentences with "and stuff". She would say something like "So we went to Aruba on vacation and sunbathed and stuff. It was really hot, so we went into the pool and stuff, and we got some tropical drinks and stuff." Drove me nuts. I wanted to scream "what stuff?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or