U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

6,278 posts, read 2,915,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I always feel that way about "It is what it is."

I get that it's irritatingly overused, and, on the surface, appears to be nonsensical/stating the obvious. But it does have a usefulness.

Working with counseling clients who have a hard time accepting and productively dealing with things in their lives that they aren't able to change, it comes up. In in that context, the sentiment is really just about acceptance of things when there is no other healthy way to proceed. The same sentiment, essentially, in theologian Reinhold Neibuhr's words on serenity, "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference," popular in AA circles.

To me, "it is what it is" is useful in this context.
Clarifying the "IT". An off the cuff statement that is vague at best. When someone uses your above referenced over simplified statement it resolves little.
Share specifically what that IT is.
Is "IT" tragic? Is the "IT " subjective, or is the conveyance ,objective thinking on the summation?

It's annoying to have such a vague statement end the conversation. Lacks concrete processing. Abstract vs concrete.
But hey...it is what it is.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

6,762 posts, read 2,438,927 times
One of my language pet peeves is when people say a one-syllable word like it's 2 or more syllables. It's like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. Drives me nuts.

Example: "Oh my ga-odD (and I spelled it just the way some people pronounce that.)

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

36,815 posts, read 42,116,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Clarifying the "IT". An off the cuff statement that is vague at best. When someone uses your above referenced over simplified statement it resolves little.
Share specifically what that IT is.
Is "IT" tragic? Is the "IT " subjective, or is the conveyance ,objective thinking on the summation?

It's annoying to have such a vague statement end the conversation. Lacks concrete processing. Abstract vs concrete.
But hey...it is what it is.!
So...seems fair to say, "People are often vague in their verbal communication...it is what it is."

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

45,278 posts, read 36,461,720 times
Quote:
I always feel that way about "It is what it is."

I get that it's irritatingly overused, and, on the surface, appears to be nonsensical/stating the obvious. But it does have a usefulness.

Working with counseling clients who have a hard time accepting and productively dealing with things in their lives that they aren't able to change, it comes up. In in that context, the sentiment is really just about acceptance of things when there is no other healthy way to proceed. The same sentiment, essentially, in theologian Reinhold Neibuhr's words on serenity, "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference," popular in AA circles.

To me, "it is what it is" is useful in this context.
True.

Besides that, I reserve the right to say "It is what it is," every time someone says "Perception is reality." No, IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

45,278 posts, read 36,461,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
One of my language pet peeves is when people say a one-syllable word like it's 2 or more syllables. It's like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. Drives me nuts.

Example: "Oh my ga-odD (and I spelled it just the way some people pronounce that.)
In reverse, I hate "prolly" for "probably."

I also don't like it when people say "Oh look at the cute little KI-in." Or "I lost one of my MI-ins so now I don't have a matching pair." WHERE IS THE T SOUND? Why are you dropping it like you have a speech im PE- i-ment??????

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

1,649 posts, read 983,234 times
Whatevs.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
True.

Besides that, I reserve the right to say "It is what it is," every time someone says "Perception is reality." No, IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!
For me, it's a shorthand for, "This is how things currently are. You can do what's in your power to change the way things are, if you don't like them. But you will need to be realistic about what you don't have the ability to change, and just accept that and move on." It is what it is.

But I try not to use it, because it's become such a filler cliche.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In reverse, I hate "prolly" for "probably."

I also don't like it when people say "Oh look at the cute little KI-in." Or "I lost one of my MI-ins so now I don't have a matching pair." WHERE IS THE T SOUND? Why are you dropping it like you have a speech im PE- i-ment??????
To me, this was so funny when Brittany Murphy's (RIP) character in "Clueless" had this as a defining speech pattern. "EL-in! [Elton]!"

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

9,834 posts, read 4,617,558 times
Quote:
It also tends to take existing, meaningful terms, and use them in inexact, buzzword-y ways that don't really use the true meaning. This causes the term to be watered down to the point of being inexact and meaningless. "Synergy," which enjoyed a heyday among corporate raiders, is a good one. Its origins are in theology, and it has fairly mystical meaning...initially, an interplay of the human will and divine grace. Not really the same thing when you're using it to talk about the results of your investment banking firm buying out another investment banking firm. It got to the point where it is just a more inflated way of saying "cooperation," which is pretty generic and far from the origins of the word. And, of course, a lot of corporate jargon takes really initially very good, illustrative metaphors ("low-hanging fruit," for instance) and just beats them to death.

You're just not thinking outside the box.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

623 posts, read 171,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I cringe whenever I hear someone say one of the following phrases:

1. But I digress.
2. Who knew?
3. Don't get me wrong.

The above are usually part of a sentence when describing something, but they are unnecessary. Why do people use the above phrases?
Uh-oh...think I know why some people don't like me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or