U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

3,532 posts, read 1,563,392 times

Advertisements

I was watching this stupid Netflix show "Scorpions" that had a group of young geniuses solving problems.

It did get me to thinking though, it must be difficult for those quick-thinkers with vast knowledge at their fingertips, who know how to DO anything, MAKE anything, SOLVE anything....to put up with the rest of us mainstream people. Even to hang around with us.

Apparently, the definition of "genius" is rather fluid, so there is no hard and fast category. Not even IQ, though above 140 was given. That seems kind of low.

My question is, if you know any geniuses, do they have trouble socially? Interacting with average people? Or do they just keep to their rarified atmosphere of academia with like minds?

My ex was a genius. In that he could solve, create, build anything. I used to joke that we should create a hotline for him to answer questions, as he knew all the answers.

However, we had only a couple friends (fighter pilots), as no one was "good enough" for him. He felt himself above everyone, and had no patience for average people. I was very young then, so did not recognize these issues---I just looked up to him. But he was definitely socially inept and totally narcissistic.

Your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

857 posts, read 191,088 times
I've met some very smart people in my life, and not all were socially awkward. The latter could fit in just fine in social circles and were often enjoyable to be around. That being said, you can get an abnormal number of quirky eccentric types in an IT department, many of whom are nice but socially awkward. Plus normal type personalities, of course. The cast of Scorpions would probably fit right in.

To me, just grading people based on their IQ rating is an over-simplification. Richard Feynman had an IQ of 125 and he was a Genius with a capital 'G'. The mind is a complicated organ that can't be summed up with a single number; intelligent people can be very normal in some respects but super-sharp in others.

Last edited by rjshae; Yesterday at 10:29 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

192 posts, read 33,346 times
Don't really think intelligence makes much of a difference. Being a balanced person plays more of a difference.
For example between a person with high IQ and low EQ, and a person with low IQ and high EQ, who is more intelligent?
In essence they have the same "amount" of intellect.

Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM

4,102 posts, read 2,139,372 times
Genius in what way? Savants are geniuses in one area, but aren't too competent in other areas.

Also, in most cases, when people use the word "smart" or "intelligent', they usually include social intelligence, "street smarts", and other practical thinking skills along with it. Think of the stereotypical absent-minded professor. They aren't very intelligent by that measure. The reverse goes for a jet aircraft mechanic who may not have talent in formal "schooling" subjects, but is very insightful and has a knack for keeping USAF and USN fighter jets "up and running". They're intelligent too, just by different (but no less valuable) measures.

Social Awkwardness - usually is relative to social situation and individual. Nobody is calm, collected, and relaxed around every type of person. People who like quiz bowls more than Super Bowls, or more at home at astronomy club 'star parties' than at typical keg parties. And even in non-event situations, think of people who have the charisma to fit into a halftime beer commercial or an Spring Break in Daytona or Ibiza video -- and compare that to people who would rather sit at a non-chain coffee shop sipping on cappuccino with a few friend and discuss abstract art or classic novels or philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or