U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 12:32 PM

23,907 posts, read 17,793,937 times

Advertisements

I rarely give advice unless I asked. People say I come across as overbearing and condescending.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:54 PM

6,320 posts, read 2,936,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I rarely give advice unless I asked. People say I come across as overbearing and condescending.
Sounds like they are honest with you. Are they traits you accept about yourself?

Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM

6,320 posts, read 2,936,096 times
Learned to lead a horse to water....but make sure they are thirsty first!

Plant seeds ...let them plough their field though. Get it?

Folks need to really read "games people play" by Eric Bernes. He discusses the "yes but" game ..
Took myself three Months after reading it to even want to open my mouth at all. Alas my job required it to answer phones ...

Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 PM

7,973 posts, read 4,875,402 times
If the person giving advice has no credibility, the advice is not worth listening to. Simple as that.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:33 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,466,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I know that the person with the solutions can be seen as a "know-it-all," and can be irritating, in general, for that reason.

But sometimes, because of your experiences, education, and keeping up with new treatments, you might come across someone with a problem that you think could be helped by x, y, or z. And you present it to the person, and they don't try it (and might end up getting sick and/or dying).

I understand why this happens (from a philosophical/spiritual perspective), but from a practical, mundane perspective, it's harder to comprehend.

From a psychological perspective it might be that the person is just in denial about their malady, or they may just be a lazy person, or they might have beliefs that don't jive with what you have told them, or????

What do you think about the psychology of this phenomena?

Reminds me of a friend of mine. She had anal cancer. She went through chemo and radiation because that's what her doctor told her to do. But boy howdy, it was rough on her. Radiation burns basically from the waist down? Effectively sterile, and she's only 32. She's in remission now, and has been for over a year. But of course, it just seems like yesterday to her.

If the cancer were to come back, I doubt she would opt for any kind of treatment anymore. The 'cure' took a huge toll on her. (Her words.)

I don't think you could tell her that there was a newer and better treatment out there, and that it would sway her.

Old Today, 10:10 PM

32,099 posts, read 20,212,549 times
I have people giving me all kinds of suggestions to get rid of my RA, they insist they know of a supplement, or omission diet that will WORK.

While they mean well, they are just plain old wrong. So I would say not all advice is created equally, and a lot depends on how much they respect the person giving the advice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or