U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

22,117 posts, read 14,534,664 times

Advertisements

In my experience, caffeine intensifies latent anxiety. And yes, I have felt some anxiety all my life. I recommend taking deep breaths and talking yourself through the experience. Many times I’ve reminded myself about my mental discomfort, “It’s just anxiety.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

6,936 posts, read 3,917,354 times
For me florescent lights and caffeine played a big part in anxiety. There were several older stores with old fashioned style florescent lights that I just could not tolerate for more than 5 minutes. Taking Vitamin D daily has helped tremendously.

Old Today, 07:51 AM

16,151 posts, read 12,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Calories View Post
Recently, I've realized that certain environments cause anxiety for me, but with uncertainty as to how it gets triggered. It drives me crazy and find myself wanting to leave.

Example A: at a crowded bar with friends, but with lots of noise and movement. At a certain point, I find myself wanting to go outside for a while to stop the racing heart, but sometimes happens during a chatting moment.

Example B: girlfriend gets sick, but her temporary illness and living space sometimes causes anxiety for me (trying to figure this out) and find myself wanting to leave because it gets me nervous and depressed.

Example C: Airplanes and Subways make me really uneasy due to noise, people and fast movement overall.

Is this a behavioral issue? Social anxiety? I don't know if something in my childhood caused a switch or it's genetic. Not sure if cognitive behavioral therapy would help fix this. Sometimes I feel heartless if I walk away from someone I care about that is in need or that went out of their way to do something for me but getting driven out by but anxiety. I hate to be the odd one out and feel alone on it but only someone who has it would understand.
I don't find this very unusual. Maybe a breathing or other relaxing technique would help you. Something you can do while you are in this situation

Old Today, 10:15 AM

54 posts, read 16,294 times
I've focused on breathing but it really doesn't help it go away. If I can't walk away from the environment due to whatever the situation is, then it's hopeless. I rely on 2 supplements but only helps with light/mild anxiety. If something I know will really trigger an overwhelming feeling, it's just a point of no return. I have to find something to cope with it. Music helps but it's not like I carry my earbuds on me. "Excuse me while I act like a weirdo and walk away to listen to music."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or