Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 07:34 PM

67 posts, read 68,202 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've realized that certain environments cause anxiety for me, but with uncertainty as to how it gets triggered. It drives me crazy and find myself wanting to leave.

Example A: at a crowded bar with friends, but with lots of noise and movement. At a certain point, I find myself wanting to go outside for a while to stop the racing heart, but sometimes happens during a chatting moment.

Example B: girlfriend gets sick, but her temporary illness and living space sometimes causes anxiety for me (trying to figure this out) and find myself wanting to leave because it gets me nervous and depressed.

Example C: Airplanes and Subways make me really uneasy due to noise, people and fast movement overall.

Is this a behavioral issue? Social anxiety? I don't know if something in my childhood caused a switch or it's genetic. Not sure if cognitive behavioral therapy would help fix this. Sometimes I feel heartless if I walk away from someone I care about that is in need or that went out of their way to do something for me but getting driven out by but anxiety. I hate to be the odd one out and feel alone on it but only someone who has it would understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 07:45 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
I can relate. I USED to get freaked out in malls, for no apparent reason. I got over it. I think it was general anxiety and I just attached certain places to it during a certain phase of life (it would be lunch time at the mall when I was working a corporate job). I am sure something unconscious initially triggered it, then it became a habit. I don't have this problem at all now, so I think it's about getting a grip on the root anxiety.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Calories View Post

Is this a behavioral issue? Social anxiety? I don't know if something in my childhood caused a switch or it's genetic. Not sure if cognitive behavioral therapy would help fix this.
Well, either you try to do something about it or you don't. Most people don't react the way you've written and it doesn't sound fun (otherwise you wouldn't have created a thread).

Why don't you go see a doctor?

Old 07-28-2019, 02:03 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Recently, I've realized that certain environments cause anxiety for me, but with uncertainty as to how it gets triggered. It drives me crazy and find myself wanting to leave.

Example A: at a crowded bar with friends, but with lots of noise and movement. At a certain point, I find myself wanting to go outside for a while to stop the racing heart, but sometimes happens during a chatting moment.

Example B: girlfriend gets sick, but her temporary illness and living space sometimes causes anxiety for me (trying to figure this out) and find myself wanting to leave because it gets me nervous and depressed.

Example C: Airplanes and Subways make me really uneasy due to noise, people and fast movement overall.

Is this a behavioral issue? Social anxiety? I don't know if something in my childhood caused a switch or it's genetic. Not sure if cognitive behavioral therapy would help fix this. Sometimes I feel heartless if I walk away from someone I care about that is in need or that went out of their way to do something for me but getting driven out by but anxiety. I hate to be the odd one out and feel alone on it but only someone who has it would understand.
Example A and C sound similar; commotion, crowding, sensory overload. Example B is quite different. A counselor could probably help you tease apart what aspects of those situations create anxiety for you. There could be several different things going on, but none of us know you well enough to guess.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM

720 posts, read 427,817 times
I'm not a huge fun of crowded places. When I am alone, I don't like going to places with lots of people cause it's a bit stressful. Lots of noice, lots of things happening. Recently I read an article about low latent inhibition, and it sounded a bit like me.
But whatever it is, do what you feel like doing. if you need a moment to breathe, just breathe. If you need some peace and quiet, choose a quiet place. Maybe you're more of an introvert than other people.
If you feel like it gets in the way of your happiness you can always go to a professional and ask for help.
Don't worry too much Good luck mate!

Old 07-28-2019, 06:55 PM

I could seek help but it's tough to do it without family knowing. Especially it being pricey. You would figure it would be best to talk to friends first, but you get less judgement from strangers. You get a better understanding from those who go through it. I tend to be somewhat of an introvert but can be extroverted whenever. It's a fair mix.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:48 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:

I've got this, to an extent. Sometimes, that's just the way it is, and worrying about it only makes things worse.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:17 AM

41 posts, read 18,945 times
Try working as a cashier (at a supermarket) in the afternoon/early evening. It's good until 2-3 PM, then we get lines that last up to 10 minutes at a time. On top of it, soccer moms with their idiot kids come in. I have actually blown up at them. Yesterday, I told a kid to stop screeching THREE TIMES. Some of the customers are soft spoken and don't know how to speak up. I have to repeat myself 3, 4, or 5 times. I want to work mornings, when that is uncommon. For that matter, I have never been to tourist traps like zoos or Disney in my life. Multiply what I have to deal with times 100. On top of that, I live with my mommy and my younger brother. I can't move out and can't until I finally can.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I've got this, to an extent. Sometimes, that's just the way it is, and worrying about it only makes things worse.

It's so troublesome. Toughest part is really trying to divert your mind onto something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudAtheist View Post
Try working as a cashier (at a supermarket) in the afternoon/early evening. It's good until 2-3 PM, then we get lines that last up to 10 minutes at a time. On top of it, soccer moms with their idiot kids come in. I have actually blown up at them. Yesterday, I told a kid to stop screeching THREE TIMES. Some of the customers are soft spoken and don't know how to speak up. I have to repeat myself 3, 4, or 5 times. I want to work mornings, when that is uncommon. For that matter, I have never been to tourist traps like zoos or Disney in my life. Multiply what I have to deal with times 100. On top of that, I live with my mommy and my younger brother. I can't move out and can't until I finally can.

I've worked retail years ago. I do understand the frustration. Clothing store, got occasionally called to ring... what a nightmare. Despised it. Anxiousness, rude people, psycho coupon ladies that need an in-depth analysis of what's on the screen, do math in their head like they should be in charge of the total price, annoying kids running around, bad parenting. List goes on my friend.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
You actually sound pretty insightful and have given a lot of thought to what triggers your anxiety. That is way better than a lot of people who can't ever step back and figure out what sets them off.

Given that you know that loud, busy chaotic environments are potentially problematic, can you proactively step outside or step away from the conversation before it gets bad? Sort of start the evening with the plan to take a break at a certain time and get a few minutes of calm every now and then?

I think that being aware of problem situations gives you a lot more control over the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology