U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
"I was curious about what it does if it's in pain" - You already knew the answer to this.

And how did you feel when you incurred the pain on the animal. That's the question you have to answer..
It was an awkward moment and I did felt bad for it. That's the reason I let it go.
The last incident with the stepping on it, I don't know why I did that. I just did it out of nowhere.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:31 PM

907 posts, read 244,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
So I should forever be held responsible and labelled for that little incident when I was just a kid?
Yes, you will have to live with your choices. We all do.

Also, no one knocked on your door to yell at you about this. You posted here asking for opinions.

Quote:
It was an awkward moment and I did felt bad for it. That's the reason I let it go.
The last incident with the stepping on it, I don't know why I did that. I just did it out of nowhere.
Yes and that is abnormal and a problem.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:35 PM

10,493 posts, read 4,189,808 times
I hardly think being mean to 3 lizards as a child is anything - at all - out of the ordinary. Especially considering now you're an adult and state you don't have those feelings any more.

I personally can't remember being mean to anything just for the pleasure of seeing it writhe, although I have certainly killed my fair share of fleas, mosquitoes and cockroaches without thinking a thing about it.

Children who are mean to animals and smaller children, in my observation, often have people being mean to them and they feel powerless and take it out on others.

I don't think there's a therapist you could ever find who would say you were a psychopath for squashing a lizard. For heaven's sake, on the last Girls Weekend I went on one of the women was screaming for someone to come in and kill the lizard on her wall (a house gecko) and I was the only one who thought nothing of going in there, catching it, and taking it outside.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:42 PM

982 posts, read 274,348 times
I think young kids don't understand that people/things other than them have feelings. Once they're old enough to understand this, I would be both concerned that they still don't care and that their parents have not taught them it's wrong.

OP, I don't understand why you posted this thread. First it seemed you wanted to ask a general question, then you got into your own experience and it started looking like you wanted other people to say what you did was okay. Next I'm guessing you're going to get mad that people posted in response to the part about your personal experience because you posted it but didn't want anyone to/thought people would magically not reply to it.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I think young kids don't understand that people/things other than them have feelings. Once they're old enough to understand this, I would be both concerned that they still don't care and that their parents have not taught them it's wrong.

OP, I don't understand why you posted this thread. First it seemed you wanted to ask a general question, then you got into your own experience and it started looking like you wanted other people to say what you did was okay. Next I'm guessing you're going to get mad that people posted in response to the part about your personal experience because you posted it but didn't want anyone to/thought people would magically not reply to it.
Am I the only one who lives in a world where people hold stringers of live bleeding fish up, hooks in their mouths, while they're grinning, and taking pictures? The only person who hears people say "I don't care if was a garter snake, I told him kill it! And he got the shovel and cut its head off LOL". "Squirrels don't come to the bird feeder much, after Bubba sat out there with his 22 and picked a few of them off".

Am I the only one who lives here?

Honestly, OP, hurting 3 lizards when you were young puts you squarely in the mainstream of the population. Except, of course, that you feel bad about it being indifferent to the suffering of small reptiles.

Most everyone else laughs about it. Or, in fact, doesn't even notice what they've done is cruel.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:59 PM

982 posts, read 274,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Am I the only one who lives in a world where people hold stringers of live bleeding fish up, hooks in their mouths, while they're grinning, and taking pictures? The only person who hears people say "I don't care if was a garter snake, I told him kill it! And he got the shovel and cut its head off LOL". "Squirrels don't come to the bird feeder much, after Bubba sat out there with his 22 and picked a few of them off".

Am I the only one who lives here?

Honestly, OP, hurting 3 lizards when you were young puts you squarely in the mainstream of the population. Except, of course, that you feel bad about it being indifferent to the suffering of small reptiles.

Most everyone else laughs about it.
I hear it. Doesn't mean I like it or can do anything about it.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I hear it. Doesn't mean I like it or can do anything about it.
Right. I can't do anything about it either. But I do notice.

But I think for a bunch of people to pile on, and call a poster a psychopath who needs therapy for being cruel to 3 lizards in his childhood - what the heck? Do they not see almost everyone being cruel and not even caring?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 PM

124 posts, read 22,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But I think for a bunch of people to pile on, and call a poster a psychopath who needs therapy for being cruel to 3 lizards in his childhood - what the heck? Do they not see almost everyone being cruel and not even caring?
It's the "She's a witch, burn her!" group mentality.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:39 PM

1,223 posts, read 444,565 times
Quote:
The last incident with the stepping on it, I don't know why I didit that. I just did it out of nowhere.
Don't take these over the top posters too seriously.. you are just more honest than most.

Many little kids do strange things out of curiosity and a desire to act simply to experience how it feels.
Most never remember it or think on it at all. And it usually involves very low level animals like worms or bugs or lizards... not dogs or cats. And we quickly learn it serves no purpose and cease.
I dismembered an ant once to see how long it could live without limbs but I am not a sociopath. Yet
Neither are you.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Don't take these over the top posters too seriously.. you are just more honest than most.

Many little kids do strange things out of curiosity and a desire to act simply to experience how it feels.
Most never remember it or think on it at all. And it usually involves very low level animals like worms or bugs or lizards... not dogs or cats. And we quickly learn it serves no purpose and cease.
I dismembered an ant once to see how long it could live without limbs but I am not a sociopath. Yet
Neither are you.
Honestly I'm too emotional to even be a sociopath. A couple years ago, even the sad part in The Lion King (Mufasa's death) did made me cry a bit.

I've always loved cats. One time a cat tried to scratch me because I was patting and hugging it too much. Oh well...so much for giving it too much affection.
As for dogs; some of them are lovable but others are scary and from bad reputations (Pitbulls or Rottweilers I stay away from them). I once brought a puppy home and thought I could feed it by myself without my parents knowing it. It had to be returned back because it caught fleas.

If that still makes me a sociopath, then I must be on the extremely low side on it or not a sociopath at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology