U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

36,786 posts, read 42,092,427 times

Advertisements

It's aberrant behavior, yes.

And there is plenty of aberrant behavior outside the realm of sociopathy. It seems like you have decided that if one isn't exhibiting sociopathic behavior, there couldn't possibly be anything else maladaptive going on, which is false. There are other types of mental illness.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; Yesterday at 10:20 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM

14,756 posts, read 10,820,575 times
Mod cut.

I was taught to treat everyone and every*thing* with respect and compassion. I remember swimming in my friend's pool when I was a kid and saw a bee drowning. I cupped my hands with water and rescued it out of the pool. Unfortunately, it stung me in the process. But I didn't even get mad. I knew it was just doing its bee thing and was just protecting itself because it didn't know what my intentions were.

Not all kids tortured animals and insects because it was "normal."

Last edited by PJSaturn; Today at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old Today, 12:28 AM

12 posts, read 515 times
It's a warning sign for the beginning stages of sociopathy, even psychopathy if taken to an extreme. It's definitely NOT normal behavior.

Old Today, 03:20 AM

5,496 posts, read 2,945,777 times
No, it is not normal nor natural.

Old Today, 07:50 AM

12,217 posts, read 10,438,927 times
Definitely not normal.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

3,936 posts, read 1,658,383 times
You people are ridiculous. Unless of course you're vegetarians... in which case I gotta respect your consistency.

This kind of curiosity in a kid is completely normal. Humans are predators. We evolved to hunt critters, cut them apart, and eat them. This might be distasteful to today's sterile suburbanites... but it's as 'normal' as human behavior gets. And unless ya'll are vegetarians... then all you pearl-clutchers are simply paying someone less fortunate to do the bloody work for you.

I'm not a hunting enthusiast, though I've shot and cut apart my share of critters- fish, squirrels, rabbits, chickens, turkeys, deer,.hogs. I learned this as a kid- some I was taught, some I figured out myself. Doesn't bother me a bit... I could eat a sammich while gutting a hog.

Matter of fact it's interesting to take these critters apart and see how they're put together and how they work. I reccomend it as an educational experience.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

1,039 posts, read 360,244 times
Are you female? I think young females tend to be more empathetic towards animals than young males.

When I was a child, I remember a few of the boys showing off for each other by killing bugs and snakes or shooting (BB guns) at birds and squirrels for fun. I remember them laughing, but not at the pain of the animal.

My concern would be with the feelings of delight on inflicting pain on the animal. Is it possible that your parents were abusive to you and you were acting out?

People can and do outgrow ****ty behaviors. I believe some kids learn from their experiences and become better as adults.

Old Today, 09:01 AM

1,039 posts, read 360,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
You people are ridiculous. Unless of course you're vegetarians... in which case I gotta respect your consistency.

This kind of curiosity in a kid is completely normal. Humans are predators. We evolved to hunt critters, cut them apart, and eat them. This might be distasteful to today's sterile suburbanites... but it's as 'normal' as human behavior gets. And unless ya'll are vegetarians... then all you pearl-clutchers are simply paying someone less fortunate to do the bloody work for you.

I'm not a hunting enthusiast, though I've shot and cut apart my share of critters- fish, squirrels, rabbits, chickens, turkeys, deer,.hogs. I learned this as a kid- some I was taught, some I figured out myself. Doesn't bother me a bit... I could eat a sammich while gutting a hog.

Matter of fact it's interesting to take these critters apart and see how they're put together and how they work. I reccomend it as an educational experience.
Yes, hunting is normal. But gutting an animal alive is not. The theme of the OP is not about killing the animal. It is about inflicting pain for pleasure.

Old Today, 09:05 AM

43,572 posts, read 42,131,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Honestly I'm too emotional to even be a sociopath. A couple years ago, even the sad part in The Lion King (Mufasa's death) did made me cry a bit.

I've always loved cats. One time a cat tried to scratch me because I was patting and hugging it too much. Oh well...so much for giving it too much affection.
As for dogs; some of them are lovable but others are scary and from bad reputations (Pitbulls or Rottweilers I stay away from them). I once brought a puppy home and thought I could feed it by myself without my parents knowing it. It had to be returned back because it caught fleas.

If that still makes me a sociopath, then I must be on the extremely low side on it or not a sociopath at all.
Then why do you keep posting about it? And why do you assume that a sociopath is the only option?

What you have described in your OP (and other thread) is not typical, no.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Are you female? I think young females tend to be more empathetic towards animals than young males.

When I was a child, I remember a few of the boys showing off for each other by killing bugs and snakes or shooting (BB guns) at birds and squirrels for fun. I remember them laughing, but not at the pain of the animal.

My concern would be with the feelings of delight on inflicting pain on the animal. Is it possible that your parents were abusive to you and you were acting out?

People can and do outgrow ****ty behaviors. I believe some kids learn from their experiences and become better as adults.
Yes I'm a woman and did mentioned it on my post. I do believe we as women can be the more (generally) nurturing gender towards animals.
In those two occasions (the tail cutting and hot bulb incidents), I wasn't laughing. It was only on the 3rd incident that I laughed a bit.

I don't recall acting out nor being angry. The two incident were out of curiosity and the last one out of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology