U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Today, 09:16 AM
 
1,039 posts, read 360,244 times
Reputation: 3344

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Yes I'm a woman and did mentioned it on my post. I do believe we as women can be the more (generally) nurturing gender towards animals.
In those two occasions (the tail cutting and hot bulb incidents), I wasn't laughing. It was only on the 3rd incident that I laughed a bit.

I don't recall acting out nor being angry. The two incident were out of curiosity and the last one out of nowhere.
Curiosity of what? How the animal would respond to pain? How you would feel when inflicting the pain? Who was the focus? You or the animal?

 
Old Today, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Olympia area (for now)
1,500 posts, read 551,995 times
Reputation: 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
You people are ridiculous. Unless of course you're vegetarians... in which case I gotta respect your consistency.

This kind of curiosity in a kid is completely normal. Humans are predators. We evolved to hunt critters, cut them apart, and eat them. This might be distasteful to today's sterile suburbanites... but it's as 'normal' as human behavior gets.

Matter of fact it's interesting to take these critters apart and see how they're put together and how they work. I reccomend it as an educational experience.
Caveman used to drag women off by their hair too. That still going on?

As far as taking them apart to see how they work, when people use the argument that they are superior, making others inferior, they can justify anything.
 
Old Today, 09:20 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Curiosity of what? How the animal would respond to pain? How you would feel when inflicting the pain? Who was the focus? You or the animal?
On the lizard. I wanted to know what's it like for it to feel pain and what it does.
I couldn't keep up with it, felt bad and let it go. The 3rd incident was the only one I didn't feel bad.
 
Old Today, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Midwest
4,316 posts, read 7,174,865 times
Reputation: 7371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.


I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.
That is NOT normal. It's sick and sadistic.
 
Old Today, 09:55 AM
 
11,570 posts, read 8,487,412 times
Reputation: 7147
Would she have stomped a kitten to death?

Plenty of grown people go bat chit when they see bugs and/or snakes. They think they are performing a public service by stomping or dismembering them with a hoe. I'm talking any snake, not just venomous ones.

What's the difference between a lizard and a snake?
 
Old Today, 09:59 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Would she have stomped a kitten to death?
Nope. I've always loved cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Plenty of grown people go bat chit when they see bugs and/or snakes. They think they are performing a public service by stomping or dismembering them with a hoe. I'm talking any snake, not just venomous ones.

What's the difference between a lizard and a snake?
I hate crawlies and I wouldn't feel sorry if cockroaches disappear already. I hate those disgusting beings with a passion.
As for snakes, I wouldn't mind having a snake wrapped around me as long as it wasn't poisonous nor too large. Snakes are cute.
 
Old Today, 10:04 AM
 
Location: in the soup
3,936 posts, read 1,658,383 times
Reputation: 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Yes, hunting is normal. But gutting an animal alive is not. The theme of the OP is not about killing the animal. It is about inflicting pain for pleasure.
Killing an animal causes pain. Hooking a fish and putting it on a stringer causes pain. And *billions* of people all over the world do this for sport (aka fun) and/or sustenance... with no particular concern for the critter's pain.

I'm not saying this is good or evil... I'm just saying that it's ordinary.

The child's curiosity in this thread with a lizard and a couple of bugs is *nothing* compared to the daily cruelty visited upon critters on a mass scale via hunting, fishing and farming. Something that all of you (vegetarians excepted) contribute to on a daily basis.

And ya'll are acting like this gal is a serial killer or something... over a lizard and a couple of bugs. Please

Vegetarians excepted of course. I'll never be a vegetarian... but I do have a certain respect for them.
 
Old Today, 10:28 AM
 
11,570 posts, read 8,487,412 times
Reputation: 7147
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Killing an animal causes pain. Hooking a fish and putting it on a stringer causes pain. And *billions* of people all over the world do this for sport (aka fun) and/or sustenance... with no particular concern for the critter's pain.

I'm not saying this is good or evil... I'm just saying that it's ordinary.

The child's curiosity in this thread with a lizard and a couple of bugs is *nothing* compared to the daily cruelty visited upon critters on a mass scale via hunting, fishing and farming. Something that all of you (vegetarians excepted) contribute to on a daily basis.

And ya'll are acting like this gal is a serial killer or something... over a lizard and a couple of bugs. Please

Vegetarians excepted of course. I'll never be a vegetarian... but I do have a certain respect for them.
Yeah, i was wondering about people who kill wild animals as a hobby. The poster was curious about how an animal experienced pan enough to inflict some. Those hunters who do it for fun don't care about they pain they inflict.

BTW, when we see a bug in the house, we capture it and take it outside. Always have. My kids learned to do it very early on.
 
Old Today, 10:57 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
38,218 posts, read 56,029,042 times
Reputation: 90257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.


I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.
I am confused. Is this a real post or one of your "passing the time by trolling the forum" creation.

To answer it anyway - yes small kids sometimes try to hurt animals. Mostly not because they are born mean and cruel, but because they are curious, or experimenting. Very small kids, say till preschooler age, might not understand that animals have feelings and are not to be treated as toys. It's their parents role to teach them about the care of animals, the results of inflicting pain, and general abuse topics.
They should learn pretty early that's not okay to hit or mistreat an animal, just as it's not okay to hit or mistreat another child.
Did your parents, OP, ever taught you that?

There might be, of course, other factors, and every cruelty should be assessed and examined. A 7-year-old child that has no developmental problems usually knows that hurting animals is inappropriate behavior.
You were old enough to know better, and together with your other behavioral traits, it shows some very disturbing pathology. You definitely should seek therapy.
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
 
Old Today, 10:58 AM
 
59 posts, read 17,418 times
Reputation: 150
No, I don't think it's normal. It's a bad sign. It takes a lack of empathy or a level of cruelty to ignore a living being's pain and still find a reason to do it. I've heard of cases where people say "curiosity" or "I wanted to know what it felt like" to murder someone. It's the same thing only on a smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top