U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:05 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am confused. Is this a real post or one of your "passing the time by trolling the forum" creation.

To answer it anyway - yes small kids sometimes try to hurt animals. Mostly not because they are born mean and cruel, but because they are curious, or experimenting. Very small kids, say till preschooler age, might not understand that animals have feelings and are not to be treated as toys. It's their parents role to teach them about the care of animals, the results of inflicting pain, and general abuse topics.
They should learn pretty early that's not okay to hit or mistreat an animal, just as it's not okay to hit or mistreat another child.
Did your parents, OP, ever taught you that?

There might be, of course, other factors, and every cruelty should be assessed and examined. A 7-year-old child that has no developmental problems usually knows that hurting animals is inappropriate behavior.
You were old enough to know better, and together with your other behavioral traits, it shows some very disturbing pathology. You definitely should seek therapy.
Yes, I'm talking about myself. That's the only single time and small animal I've ever been mean to.

Regarding if my parents ever taught, not too much into it. I agree I was aware what I was doing at that age. I knew it's painful to put the small lizard closer to the light bulb but all I was thinking was an ''I still want to see what it does if I do this''.

Old Today, 12:35 PM

13,070 posts, read 15,442,067 times
That is not normal at all. I don't think it's normal to have no empathy for a living thing.

Old Today, 01:44 PM

11,570 posts, read 8,487,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
That lesson will serve them well so long as they stay within the sterile world of cubicles and cardboard-castles... and pay lower class people to kill animals for them, so as to maintain their moral purity
Some are vegan.

But they watched as granny picked up a couple of pullets every Sunday morning and wrung their necks. Some even plucked them.

But, they also saw grandpa put that 22 shot right between the eyes of pigs so as to not inflict pain.Lesson learned.

Old Today, 01:52 PM

10,490 posts, read 4,189,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That is not normal at all. I don't think it's normal to have no empathy for a living thing.
Normal means "typical" or "expected".

Do you think sport fishing, where you catch a fish with no intention of eating it, and intend hopefully to get it back in the water before it expires, with a ripped mouth and possibly throat, to be an "abnormal pastime"?

You may disagree with it, but it's most certainly "normal" in our culture.

And parents take their time getting out their camera while their 3 year old stands there dangling a dying fish on the hook, they don't intend to eat, but don't intend to release alive as a priority, either.

Old Today, 01:56 PM

4,893 posts, read 1,489,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Normal means "typical" or "expected".

Do you think sport fishing, where you catch a fish with no intention of eating it, and intend hopefully to get it back in the water before it expires, with a ripped mouth and possibly throat, to be an "abnormal pastime"?

You may disagree with it, but it's most certainly "normal" in our culture.

And parents take their time getting out their camera while their 3 year old stands there dangling a dying fish on the hook, they don't intend to eat, but don't intend to release alive as a priority, either.
I wouldn't say that's "normal"; I'd say it's "common". I'd describe it as "barbaric" though.

Old Today, 02:19 PM

6,745 posts, read 3,791,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.

I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.
No, IMO.

I was one of five kids. None of us was knowingly cruel to any creature of any sort. I can think of one kid who would cut off lizard's tails...she was a hellion, but otherwise a good kid. A friend of my sister's. I think my sister told her to stop doing that, which she did, I think.

Altho I'm not religious, there were stories in Bible School about cruelty or killing any living creature unnecessarily, even ants. Such acts are anti-Christian.

I don't think it's a coincidence that many violent criminals were cruel to animals when they were kids.

Old Today, 02:23 PM

3,936 posts, read 1,658,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Some are vegan.

But they watched as granny picked up a couple of pullets every Sunday morning and wrung their necks. Some even plucked them.

But, they also saw grandpa put that 22 shot right between the eyes of pigs so as to not inflict pain.Lesson learned.
That's good- I think it's important for people to understand where their food comes from. Not just to read about it, but to see it in action.

And if they react by being veggie or vegan, that's their business. Unlike a lot of people who hunt and fish, I don't have a problem with vegetarians and the like. Sure I think it's silly... but they're practicing what they preach, and I gotta admire that much.

Now on the other hand... people who eat meat and also claim to take a moral stand against the suffering of critters... I don't understand or respect that view. Looks utterly childish, naive, and/or hypocritical to me.

Because in this day and age, eating meat simply isn't *necessary*. It's a choice. And if you choose to do so, then you are choosing cruelty towards cows, chickens, fish, hogs, etc. I personally don't have a problem with said cruelty that provides me with delicious meat... and so I find it hard to care about a far less sentient bug or lizard.

Old Today, 02:32 PM

7,299 posts, read 3,013,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Yeah, i was wondering about people who kill wild animals as a hobby. The poster was curious about how an animal experienced pan enough to inflict some. Those hunters who do it for fun don't care about they pain they inflict.

BTW, when we see a bug in the house, we capture it and take it outside. Always have. My kids learned to do it very early on.
Regardless whether a person kills animals as a hobby or for consumption, they can still choose to be humane about it or cruel about it. Those who are humane acknowledge that the animal will suffer if killed, so do all they can to minimize it because they respect the animal.

Those who produce livestock either choose to treat them humanely or they don't. Even if their only motivation is a dollar, chances are well cared for livestock results in higher profit.

If they hunt, they educate themselves, become a better marksman, and only take clear and accurate shots with the proper ammunition. If they wound an animal they retrieve it, they don't abandon it unfound to die later. They don't chase down prey, they let prey approach.

They fish with tackle strong enough to ensure retrieving the fish instead of losing it along with a tangle of hooks and line that cause long term pain, infections, or slow death from starvation, or that can trap and injure other animals later. They don't haul fish out of water and let them flop in agony on a dock, they put them out of their misery immediately.

If they trap, they use lethal traps, not hold traps.

All this takes mindfulness and consideration for something other than themselves which really is the point. Even a scientist whose biological curiosity leads them to conduct tests on animals can still choose to do so humanely. Or not.

Last edited by Parnassia; Today at 02:53 PM..

Old Today, 02:40 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,937,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
So I should forever be held responsible and labelled for that little incident when I was just a kid?
Exaggerate the situation for clarity:

Let's say you were one of a few candidates interviewing for a job and your potential employer had the details you've provided.

You would never be hired.
Ever.
Anywhere.

Old Today, 02:48 PM

3,936 posts, read 1,658,383 times
Keep clutching those pearls.

I'd hire her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology