U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:54 PM

38,217 posts, read 56,029,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Keep clutching those pearls.

I'd hire her.
Did you read her other threads? ...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 03:13 PM

946 posts, read 842,109 times
No, it's not normal. I'm not an animal person of any kind, but I have never harmed any of them or even thought of harming them. I'm actually scared of them.

I have a cousin who Mod cut. It was a troubling sign. He grew up to be the worst in his family.

My ex liked to kill frogs for no reason when he was young. To this date, he still finds it funny and has no empathy for them.

Animal cruelty at any age is alarming and a huge RED FLAG. It's one of the top characteristics that psychologists give sociopaths, psychopaths, serial killers, etc.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Today at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Way too graphic.

Old Today, 03:15 PM

3,935 posts, read 1,658,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you read her other threads? ...
No... but now I kinda have to

Just saying that I wouldn't care in the slightest if somebody was mean to a lizard when they were a child. Though I suppose I'd find it a little strange if that came up during the job interview.

Old Today, 03:22 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Animal cruelty at any age is alarming and a huge RED FLAG. It's one of the top characteristics that psychologists give sociopaths, psychopaths, serial killers, etc.
If I get emotional in some sad films, love my family, would be stressed-out if placed under pressure (definitely not calm nor collected) and react with disgust towards horrible crimes than I wouldn't fit neither a sociopath nor a psychopath.
I think I might be somewhat of a histrionic perhaps.

Old Today, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
No... but now I kinda have to

Just saying that I wouldn't care in the slightest if somebody was mean to a lizard when they were a child. Though I suppose I'd find it a little strange if that came up during the job interview.
Probably only if you own a zoo, pet store or animal shelter.
However, I think this question should be asked when someone applies for a job in a child or adult care.
Cruelty to small animals (remember, OP didn't mess up with rottweilers) could be associated with cruelty to things smaller, weaker and those who can't fend for themselves.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Today, 03:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 610,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.

I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.
That was not "normal" behavior, but you had enough of a conscience to absorb your classmates reaction and to learn from it. But, if a child were doing that in my presence, I would be concerned for them.

Old Today, 03:31 PM

5,857 posts, read 3,291,202 times
The neighbor kid used to go on "reconnaissance" missions, which consisted of hiding in the ditch until some sort of animal came along, and then doing something to ruin its day or end its life. He's currently in prison. No one was at all surprised.

The fact that you held a lizard to a burning lightbulb is disturbing. If you're a normal, smart kid, you're aware that the lizard is going to feel pain and you're the one inflicting that pain unnecessarily upon a helpless animal. There's something wrong with that behavior. It's quite malicious to want to harm a creature that can't fight back. I would not consider that "normal" at all. I wouldn't label you a sociopath or a psychopath just because of that, but if there were other troubling behaviors, it might cross my mind that it was a possibility.

Did you have a traumatic childhood? I hope not, but sometimes children act out in undesirable ways when they've suffered trauma.

Old Today, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
That was not "normal" behavior, but you had enough of a conscience to absorb your classmates reaction and to learn from it. But, if a child were doing that in my presence, I would be concerned for them.
I think as she got older, she just did other things that were/are highly inappropriate and troublesome. She also doesn't show any remorse. You can feel it from the posts that they are full of bragging undertones.

Old Today, 04:20 PM

18,400 posts, read 23,609,135 times
kids most of the time boys....can be cruel....

ive seen peers use frogs as baseballs...and bat them around....throw different things at cows....

I saw one older brothers friend had a magnifying glass and fried some insects...

I saw a mother tell her sons to kill a snake so they smashed it in with a baseball bat

and mice.....rats were bb gun target practice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology