U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Reputation: 1017

Advertisements

It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.


I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.

 
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
 
Location: California
902 posts, read 244,523 times
Reputation: 2543
No, I don't think it's normal. It's a bad sign. I grew up playing outside with boys, building treehouses and what not. We were always kind to animals. If someone wasn't kind to animals, that person would've been shunned.

Either way I'm glad you stopped this behavior.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,645 posts, read 24,236,879 times
Reputation: 49210
Most times when children hurt animals, it's because they don't know any better (accidentally squeezing too hard, for example.) To be knowingly and purposefully cruel to an animal and to get pleasure out of it is different.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
 
2,637 posts, read 1,970,980 times
Reputation: 2635
If these bad behaviors is not corrected, the next thing you know is oh I accidentally push this person off balcony just to see what it would look like.

I believe children need to be under supervision.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
If these bad behaviors is not corrected, the next thing you know is oh I accidentally push this person off balcony just to see what it would look like.

I believe children need to be under supervision.
I think it was my classmate's disapproval and disgusted look on his face that day that made me realize it was wrong. Never again ever since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most times when children hurt animals, it's because they don't know any better (accidentally squeezing too hard, for example.) To be knowingly and purposefully cruel to an animal and to get pleasure out of it is different.
True. In those 3 occasions, it was no accident.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
 
Location: California
902 posts, read 244,523 times
Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I think it was my classmate's disapproval and disgusted look on his face that day that made me realize it was wrong. Never again ever since.
Could've been how you were raised. We grew up with pets and were always taught that animals are friends and to be kind to any living thing.

If no one ever taught you these things, it's possible that you truly didn't realize they were wrong.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
17,136 posts, read 17,461,716 times
Reputation: 41808
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
No, I don't think it's normal. It's a bad sign. I grew up playing outside with boys, building treehouses and what not. We were always kind to animals. If someone wasn't kind to animals, that person would've been shunned.

Either way I'm glad you stopped this behavior.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most times when children hurt animals, it's because they don't know any better (accidentally squeezing too hard, for example.) To be knowingly and purposefully cruel to an animal and to get pleasure out of it is different.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
7,281 posts, read 12,731,147 times
Reputation: 22238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.

I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.
I would have labeled you a sociopath back then too ... SMILING after you deliberately killed a lizard that was presumably not doing anything to you? That is very creepy behavior, not normal in the least. I would not want you around my animals today, no matter how many times you say you are a cat lover and normal now.

I'm sure some will find my words harsh, but I wouldn't take the chance.
 
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,745,142 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I would have labeled you a sociopath back then too ... SMILING after you deliberately killed a lizard that was presumably not doing anything to you? That is very creepy behavior, not normal in the least. I would not want you around my animals today, no matter how many times you say you are a cat lover and normal now.

I'm sure some will find my words harsh, but I wouldn't take the chance.
So I should forever be held responsible and labelled for that little incident when I was just a kid?
 
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,299 posts, read 3,013,453 times
Reputation: 24674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
So I should forever be held responsible and labelled for that little incident when I was just a kid?
It wasn't the action you took, it was the thought process that lead up to it that might deserve reflection. There was a very long thread about this same topic on the Pets forum several months ago. It might be worth a search to gain some insight.

Do children have to be taught how to treat animals ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top