Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 12:38 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,165,635 times

Advertisements

It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.

I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:44 PM

999 posts, read 553,136 times
No, I don't think it's normal. It's a bad sign. I grew up playing outside with boys, building treehouses and what not. We were always kind to animals. If someone wasn't kind to animals, that person would've been shunned.

Either way I'm glad you stopped this behavior.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:47 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Most times when children hurt animals, it's because they don't know any better (accidentally squeezing too hard, for example.) To be knowingly and purposefully cruel to an animal and to get pleasure out of it is different.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:47 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,402 times
If these bad behaviors is not corrected, the next thing you know is oh I accidentally push this person off balcony just to see what it would look like.

I believe children need to be under supervision.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
If these bad behaviors is not corrected, the next thing you know is oh I accidentally push this person off balcony just to see what it would look like.

I believe children need to be under supervision.
I think it was my classmate's disapproval and disgusted look on his face that day that made me realize it was wrong. Never again ever since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most times when children hurt animals, it's because they don't know any better (accidentally squeezing too hard, for example.) To be knowingly and purposefully cruel to an animal and to get pleasure out of it is different.
True. In those 3 occasions, it was no accident.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:57 PM

999 posts, read 553,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I think it was my classmate's disapproval and disgusted look on his face that day that made me realize it was wrong. Never again ever since.
Could've been how you were raised. We grew up with pets and were always taught that animals are friends and to be kind to any living thing.

If no one ever taught you these things, it's possible that you truly didn't realize they were wrong.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
No, I don't think it's normal. It's a bad sign. I grew up playing outside with boys, building treehouses and what not. We were always kind to animals. If someone wasn't kind to animals, that person would've been shunned.

Either way I'm glad you stopped this behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Old 07-28-2019, 01:58 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
It seems that every single time a child is cruel to an animal, even if it's very small one there seems to be a huge outcry and the word sociopath gets thrown. Most people get alarmed and already want the kid to be seen by a psychiatrist.

I can only think of these short episodes (while I was in FL), in which there was a bit of cruelty on my part on a small brown lizard. They were done on 3 separate occasions. However, things never progressed to any other animals (besides cockroaches, which I have a deep hatred and disgust till this very day) and I've grown up to be a cat lover and normal family-oriented woman.

1st time: I was 7 and decided to cut part of its tail. Though I let it go.
2nd time: I think it was months later (same age). I was curious about what it does if it's in pain. I left my lamp lightbulb on for a while. I placed its back on the hot bulb for 1-3 seconds. However, when I saw it squirming like crazy, I let it go.
3rd time and last time: I was a bit older by then. I was in 4th grade and this time, I stepped on one in front of a classmate, killing it. This was the only single time I smiled for a bit. My classmate obviously didn't like it.

Otherwise, I would just collect them in a jar with holes, feed them and release them after a week.
I would have labeled you a sociopath back then too ... SMILING after you deliberately killed a lizard that was presumably not doing anything to you? That is very creepy behavior, not normal in the least. I would not want you around my animals today, no matter how many times you say you are a cat lover and normal now.

I'm sure some will find my words harsh, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I would have labeled you a sociopath back then too ... SMILING after you deliberately killed a lizard that was presumably not doing anything to you? That is very creepy behavior, not normal in the least. I would not want you around my animals today, no matter how many times you say you are a cat lover and normal now.

I'm sure some will find my words harsh, but I wouldn't take the chance.
So I should forever be held responsible and labelled for that little incident when I was just a kid?

Old 07-28-2019, 02:24 PM

23,238 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
So I should forever be held responsible and labelled for that little incident when I was just a kid?
It wasn't the action you took, it was the thought process that lead up to it that might deserve reflection. There was a very long thread about this same topic on the Pets forum several months ago. It might be worth a search to gain some insight.

Do children have to be taught how to treat animals ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.