U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

414 posts, read 75,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
OP, since this is your thread and theory, have you researched the numbers on it to find out if it's really true? When I read the title, I immediately thought, "What about the black guy who shot up the Navistar Plant in Melrose Park, IL (maybe twenty years ago, had a friend there), and the black guy who shot up his workplace in Aurora, IL in 2019?". Should be relatively easy to research. and real data would bolster your case more than simply conjecture. By "Going Postal", I'm assuming you mean multiple homicides (or attempted homicides) at a place of current or former employment? May as well set the ground rules out of the gate.
The other misnomer is "postal".
"Researchers have found that the homicide rates at postal facilities were lower than at other workplaces. In major industries, the highest rate of 2.1 homicides per 100,000 workers per year was in retail. The homicide rate for postal workers was 0.22 per 100,000 versus 0.77 per 100,000 workers in general."
Going postal

Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

2,991 posts, read 2,720,182 times
Without doing any research, I can think of two right off the top of my head who are not white males. The Navy Yard shooter in Washington, DC was a black male, and in a town in suburban Baltimore a black lady shot up her workplace within the past year. And while I am thinking, how about the ex LA police officer who went on a shooting and crime spree into the mountains of Southern California? Wasn't he black?

This thread seems pretty racist to me. Just saying.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

This thread seems pretty racist to me. Just saying.
I don't think it's racist. If someone is posting to objectively and factually discuss this event even if they are factually incorrect, it isn't necessarily racist. It's racist if someone has an intention to be mean or hurtful. That's one of the problems with internet forums, too many people bring up racism if there's an element of race in the discussion. This leads to moderators panicking and closing threads.
Besides, this is the Psychology forum and it is in context to discuss socially scientific events such as these.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

3,945 posts, read 1,660,549 times
Are drive-by shootings an African sickness?

Is violent crime in general an African sickness since African Americans murder and rape at a FAR higher rate than caucasians?

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

723 posts, read 197,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
A mass incident shooting today in Gilroy.

Has anyone noticed that perpetrators of mass shootings in the U.S. are almost exclusively white (Anglo/Caucasian) men? Any thoughts on why this is?
There were a few workplace/ mass shootings perpetrated by blacks and Asians.
VA tech shooting murderer was Korean?
No race is exempt.
Stress! accumulating from a “ white burden”: everything is a “ white’s fault”?
The whites supposedly having it good and should not complain.
If you are a “ loser” white- it is “unacceptable?”and a pent up anger blows out in a spectacularly horrible way.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

3,924 posts, read 3,606,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
A mass incident shooting today in Gilroy.

Has anyone noticed that perpetrators of mass shootings in the U.S. are almost exclusively white (Anglo/Caucasian) men? Any thoughts on why this is?
No offense, but if you think it's unusual for whites to "go postal" but not for other minorities, then that's a problem.

Sure, there was a shooting in Gilroy, CA (by a white person?). But there was also a mass shooting at a Black event in Brooklyn where 13 people were shot including one fatality.

Are we saying that one of the shootings was "unusual" but the other one was "business as usual"? I hope we deplore both shootings.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

638 posts, read 192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Who are the perpetrators in Gilroy? I can't find an identity or a description, other than male, and it sounds like one shooter is dead (identity known to police but not released) and there's a possibility of an accomplice.
I just read that the shooter's first name is "Santino", not that it tells us much. Even if he were "Latino" or "Hispanic", aren't many of the people who fall into that category considered Caucasian (or otherwise identify as white)? The one thing that binds all mass shooters together, is that their wiring is faulty. Plus, firearms are a pretty inefficient way to kill large numbers of people, if that's your aim. Not wanting to give other Loonies any ideas, I'll stop right there, thank you very much.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

Is violent crime in general an African sickness since African Americans murder and rape at a FAR higher rate than caucasians?
Is "sickness" the appropriate word?

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

22,649 posts, read 24,243,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

The difference, that someone else alluded to, is that black on black crime tends to be targeted. Gang members settling scores, domestic violence, etc. It doesn't excuse the violence, but it's less random.

That's different than someone busting out a window in a high-rise hotel to strafe an outdoor concert, or entering a house of worship to attack anyone inside, or sneaking into an outdoor festival to shoot randomly. Those shooters are looking for anyone to hurt.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; Yesterday at 09:13 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

4,315 posts, read 7,176,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Off the top of my head, the Fort Hood shooter and Virginia Tech shooter each come to mind as non-caucasian perpetrators (though Nidal Hassan was Palestinian, which is typically described as caucasian, though many in the U.S. colloquially do not consider any Middle Easterners white). Mother Jones did a database tracking this fairly recently. Might be an interesting read.
Middle Easterners are not a race, very true. Unless someone says something about a Muslim, then it's racist. But then, everything is racist.

Back to OP, what is a "mass killing"? Look at Chicago any weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or