U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:19 AM

743 posts, read 271,066 times

Advertisements

Race
Has
Nothing
To
Do
With
Mass
Killing

Old Today, 04:29 AM

7,458 posts, read 3,076,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
A mass incident shooting today in Gilroy.

Has anyone noticed that perpetrators of mass shootings in the U.S. are almost exclusively white (Anglo/Caucasian) men? Any thoughts on why this is?
Well we are a majority white nation. Was this fact lost on you? I would guess most murders in Kenya are by blacks.

Old Today, 06:47 AM

6,375 posts, read 3,614,623 times
Here are a couple of articles discussing the myth that there are few Black serial killers and why we believe that:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-are-all-white

https://www.theroot.com/of-course-th...ers-1790880259

Old Today, 07:15 AM

3,942 posts, read 1,660,549 times
I was listening to NPR this morning- they were talking about the kid that shot up the garlic festival. When the host asked the reporter what was known about the killer. The reporter replied that 'people don't want to talk about his name'.

His first name is Santino. That's a verifiable fact. Now... why oh why wouldn't NPR want to mention that out loud?

Then she went to to say that there was a facebook post that may or may not have been made by this 1/4 Iranian... 19-year-old edge-lord...referring to some white-power book.

Lesson: verifiable facts are to be ignored if they detract from the evil-white-male narrative. But unverified rumors are worth mentioning and discussing at length if they support the evil-white-male narrative.

Old Today, 08:10 AM

5,951 posts, read 9,531,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Why is it important to you that we focus exclusively on a relatively rare type of murder that accounts for less than 1% of murder victims?
The same reasons scientists study any sort of rare phenomenon - curiosity and potential insight to be gained. The same reason psychologists study serial killers.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The same reasons scientists study any sort of rare phenomenon - curiosity and potential insight to be gained. The same reason psychologists study serial killers.
Well our focus so far in this thread has demonstrated that Caucasians are in fact LESS likely to be mass-shooters than people of any other racial group except Latinos (great job Latinos!).

Not really what you had in mind for this thread, is it

I assume that you will now proceed to condemn those other racial groups that are mass-shootng at much higher rates than Caucasians or the U.S. population as a whole?

Old Today, 08:41 AM

5,951 posts, read 9,531,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Would the DC sniper fall under the category or mass killer, or just serial killer...
I consider this a mass killer because they targeted random innocent people.
I actually was working in D.C. at that time. I walked to work every day during those 2-3 weeks when the sniper was on the loose. I got out of the metro at Le'Efant plaza and walked a stretch of about a mile to the office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
And several middle-easterners have also suffered from this 'caucasian sickness'
This thread is to discuss why mass shootings are disproportionately committed by white men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Mass shootings at schools are often done by a student that has been bullied.
But the shooter still indiscriminately targets students who never bullied him (ie. random innocent people.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PardonTheInterruption View Post
You are doing the SAME thing you probably complain about from white ppl. You are blaming an entire group of ppl because the actions of a few.
I said mass shootings are disproportionately commited by white men. I didn't say anthing about whether this does or doesn't say something about white people in general.
In fact this is one of the key questions: are the shooters unstable people who happen to be glomming onto and reflecting some "uncomfortableness" felt by Caucasian people in general, or are they simply unstable people who don't reflect anything at all about society as a whole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Trump View Post
Can anybody explain why black on white rape is so highly disproportionate to white on black rape (which is almost non-existent)?
This thread is limited to discussion of mass shootings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyDoodle View Post
It is economics. Whites can afford better weapons.
Good attempt at thinking it through. There may be a grain of truth in this, but most people in the U.S. have easy access to lots of weapons. There's a book by a psychologist who recently studied this issue, he said the answer is not how much access to guns there is, but rather that white people seem to have a "stronger relationship" with their guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For those who won't read it says white mass shooters represent about seventy percent of the population and they happen to be about seventy percent of the population.
Two things:
a) aren't Caucasians a minority in this country now?
b) if the reasons for mass shooting are disgruntlement, then wouldn't it make more sense that poor ethnic groups - not white people - would be committing the majority of the shootings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Random killings are more prevalent in the white, male community. So are Serial Killers.
Ok. So, if this is true, then why is it? What causes it? Is it something in the psychology of white men that makes them more susceptible to this kind of deviance? Or are they reflecting a larger unhappiness within the white population?

Old Today, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I consider this a mass killer because they targeted random innocent people.
I actually was working in D.C. at that time. I walked to work every day during those 2-3 weeks when the sniper was on the loose. I got out of the metro at Le'Efant plaza and walked a stretch of about a mile to the office.

This thread is to discuss why mass shootings are disproportionately committed by white men.

But the shooter still indiscriminately targets students who never bullied him (ie. random innocent people.)

I said mass shootings are disproportionately commited by white men. I didn't say anthing about whether this does or doesn't say something about white people in general.
In fact this is one of the key questions: are the shooters unstable people who happen to be glomming onto and reflecting some "uncomfortableness" felt by Caucasian people in general, or are they simply unstable people who don't reflect anything at all about society as a whole?

This thread is limited to discussion of mass shootings.

Good attempt at thinking it through. There may be a grain of truth in this, but most people in the U.S. have easy access to lots of weapons. There's a book by a psychologist who recently studied this issue, he said the answer is not how much access to guns there is, but rather that white people seem to have a "stronger relationship" with their guns.

Two things:
a) aren't Caucasians a minority in this country now?
b) if the reasons for mass shooting are disgruntlement, then wouldn't it make more sense that poor ethnic groups - not white people - would be committing the majority of the shootings?

Ok. So, if this is true, then why is it? What causes it? Is it something in the psychology of white men that makes them more susceptible to this kind of deviance? Or are they reflecting a larger unhappiness within the white population?
So did you miss post 54 in this thread where I showed that white people are actually LESS likely to be mass shooters than the population as a whole? Did you ignore this? Not understand the math? Or are you just lying?

Also somebody in this threar posted an article from Slate that came to a conclusion similar to mine.

So are you being deliberately dishonest? Or are you just not reading/understanding posts in this thread?

Old Today, 10:21 AM

3,475 posts, read 1,362,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Different types of people, different types and levels of crime. But nobody ever wants to hear the truth on that one.
Huh?

Old Today, 10:47 AM

572 posts, read 700,834 times
Quote:
A mass incident shooting today in Gilroy.

Has anyone noticed that perpetrators of mass shootings in the U.S. are almost exclusively white (Anglo/Caucasian) men? Any thoughts on why this is?
I'm sorry, an Iranian/Italian mix is an Anglo Saxon since... never?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or