U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:31 AM

1,155 posts, read 268,266 times

Advertisements

So what causes the makeup in someone's personality to either love....or hate....celebrities & online personalities...or people... from afar that they don't know? If I hear about a celebrity....(or even see someone on You Tube)....since I don't know him or her....I skip over anything I hear.... & go back to doing what I was doing. It might be like a minute of entertainment...but..it doesn't have *any* meaning to my life! So...if some male celebrities exclusively date younger women....or a certain female singer is known to date lots ...(& then she writes songs about her breakups)...so? Why do so many people bite down & put so much bad energy into disliking them for it...from afar?

People have a way of going to extremes with this stuff.....they follow the person & admire them...(by the amount of social media followers)...or they are *hated*, bullied & perceived in a bad light ..(& also are followed in social media). AND...sometimes it's both! The public builds someone up to perfection....then in a few months they are tearing them down! Just watch a season of The Bachelor or The Bachelorette to see that in action....

With social media...& being able to communicate with just about anyone......why are some people likely to admire....others likely to hate.....people they don't know? Anyone & everyone can get a lot of followers...& be hated or loved.....society has become obsessed with it. Look at all the internet celebrities...for nothing more than....people loving or hating them. Why isn't everyone just...meh...I don't know that person so I'm not gonna waste energy or thought on their personal lives.

My question for everyone.....what causes it?

Is it personality?
Learned from how we were raised?
Rubs off from our friends or hearing it from other people?
Behavior we copy when we see comments or social media...so we join in?
Is it from associating an event or behavior....in our own life...& the person becomes a symbol for it?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:52 AM

376 posts, read 63,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
So what causes the makeup in someone's personality to either love....or hate....celebrities & online personalities...or people... from afar that they don't know?

My question for everyone.....what causes it?

Is it personality?
Learned from how we were raised?
Rubs off from our friends or hearing it from other people?
Behavior we copy when we see comments or social media...so we join in?
Is it from associating an event or behavior....in our own life...& the person becomes a symbol for it?

What do you think?
Could be more innocent than that. Maybe we appreciate their skills. I love listening to George Carlin, he's a comedian entertainer. There are musicians and bands I like listening to.

Actors I liked in a role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQkpes3dgzg

Old Today, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Could be more innocent than that. Maybe we appreciate their skills. I love listening to George Carlin, he's a comedian entertainer. There are musicians and bands I like listening to.

My post or question wasn't about appreciating skills or entertainment........

Old Today, 11:02 AM

59 posts, read 17,418 times
My answer would be jealousy, and they think they are cutting someone down to size.

Old Today, 12:04 PM

38,222 posts, read 56,029,042 times
I think this is more common in particular social groups, also mostly common with teens and young adults. I never followed or was enamored in any of the celebrities, heck - I don't even know or heard of most of them, especially those who are known on Internet. That kind of world doesn't interest me, nor I ever wanted to try my best to act like one of them. The whole thing just sounds juvenile to me or involves people who feel entitled to be a part of it, and sounds shallow and boring.

Yes, I know of some good movie actors or book authors, or cooks, or designers. And I appreciate their work. But attention seeking Internet celebrities, who would do everything to get likes and attention? That's not my world, and I don't waste my time on them - I don't spend time reading, seeing, buying, imitating everything they do.

Now, why people do that? Internet celebrities are entertainers for a teen or young adult crowds.
Nowadays young people live in an imaginary Internet world. They look for news, blogs, entertainment, friends, and mates almost exclusively online. They communicate using gadgets. They seem to not understand the real world and find it terrifying, especially human interaction. Many have problem distinguish fiction from reality.
There is not enough meaningful stimulation and common sense to make informed decisions. Fans and followers just act like a shep in a herd...and there is power in numbers.

And what celebrities do? They manipulate the herd to follow them and make them more money.

Young people these days live inside their social network and feel safe there. Their world is people on Facebook, online bloggers, and Internet celebrities. That's the main topic of their conversation. Who did what, who is dating whom, how they live, what they wear... and they try to imitate that.
They are consumed by making as many Internet friends as possible, clicking on likes, making dumb comments, trolling for fun, publicly exposing every second of their lives, taking (often very provocative) selfies, and getting dumber by the minute...
Everything is short living, fast pacing, ever-changing, including people in their imaginary life. Hooking up replaced real, meaningful relationships. Sex is easy and meaningless, people are disposable.

The result of it is overspending, impossible expectations, difficulty finding a partner, inability to compromise, wants over needs, entitlement, "me" as the most important part of their life, narcissism, detachment from reality. For many young girls their life goal is to imitate celebrities, live their lifestyle, buy things that are trendy at the moment, think and act like someone else.
It's a very shallow, artificial life.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think this is more common in particular social groups, also mostly common with teens and young adults. I never followed or was enamored in any of the celebrities, heck - I don't even know or heard of most of them, especially those who are known on Internet. That kind of world doesn't interest me, nor I ever wanted to try my best to act like one of them. The whole thing just sounds juvenile to me or involves people who feel entitled to be a part of it, and sounds shallow and boring.

Yes, I know of some good movie actors or book authors, or cooks, or designers. And I appreciate their work. But attention seeking Internet celebrities, who would do everything to get likes and attention? That's not my world, and I don't waste my time on them - I don't spend time reading, seeing, buying, imitating everything they do.

Now, why people do that? Internet celebrities are entertainers for a teen or young adult crowds.
Nowadays young people live in an imaginary Internet world. They look for news, blogs, entertainment, friends, and mates almost exclusively online. They communicate using gadgets. They seem to not understand the real world and find it terrifying, especially human interaction. Many have problem distinguish fiction from reality.
There is not enough meaningful stimulation and common sense to make informed decisions. Fans and followers just act like a shep in a herd...and there is power in numbers.

And what celebrities do? They manipulate the herd to follow them and make them more money.

Young people these days live inside their social network and feel safe there. Their world is people on Facebook, online bloggers, and Internet celebrities. That's the main topic of their conversation. Who did what, who is dating whom, how they live, what they wear... and they try to imitate that.
They are consumed by making as many Internet friends as possible, clicking on likes, making dumb comments, trolling for fun, publicly exposing every second of their lives, taking (often very provocative) selfies, and getting dumber by the minute...
Everything is short living, fast pacing, ever-changing, including people in their imaginary life. Hooking up replaced real, meaningful relationships. Sex is easy and meaningless, people are disposable.

The result of it is overspending, impossible expectations, difficulty finding a partner, inability to compromise, wants over needs, entitlement, "me" as the most important part of their life, narcissism, detachment from reality. For many young girls their life goal is to imitate celebrities, live their lifestyle, buy things that are trendy at the moment, think and act like someone else.
It's a very shallow, artificial life.
Thank you Nina....nice answer...BUT I was trying to look at it as to why people follow those celebrities in the 1st place...or online personalities....why they put so much energy into writing comments on twitter or You Tube channels just to roll hate...degrade....or why they hate them for their choices. If people didn't do it....lots of people couldn't be internet celebrities. Those peoples lives don't mean anything to them...why waste the energy hating, caring, following....in the 1st place? What causes that? Why hate a singer because she dates & writes songs about it....or a celebrity man who dates younger women? Who a celebrity dates..or what someone I don't know does online means *nada* to me. I sure don't have to write hateful comments at them for it..because I'm thinking about my own life & don't care about theirs....

It just goes back to....why....because if people didn't waste energy or their time hating & following ..(or loving & following)....lots of the "online celebrities" couldn't be celebrities in the 1st place.......

So why do some people eat it up...follow them, read the dirt at the grocery counter check-out...comment on their channels....& put so much love or hatred to people that are just people........

Old Today, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineki View Post
My answer would be jealousy, and they think they are cutting someone down to size.
This could explain the hate part.......or why they want to write hateful comments, shame...bully... or stuff like that...BUT it does not really explain the other side of it....because there are a lot of people that follow & admire celebrities too much or people they don't know ...........to the point of following them, imitating them...wanting to friend them or wanting personal answers to their comments on twitter or You Tube.....

Old Today, 01:08 PM

12,840 posts, read 14,149,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
....What do you think?
It puzzles me. The only personal case of hero worship I can recall is my childhood obsession with cowboy star Roy Rogers, who was "King of the Cowboys." And I was snarky about Gene Autry, like who the heck did he think he was!!! That seems to have been it in my life.

I can recall that I had strong likes for particular entertainers when I was a teen, but I don't remember having a strong dislike for those whom I didn't find entertaining or who even bored me.

And this is pretty much the way I have continued to react. I enjoy certain entertainers and listen to their music or watch them on TV or films, but I don't love them, I am just happy to be entertained by them. There have been and are plenty whom I think are boring or talentless, but I just don't bother with them, I don't hate them.

As far as what these people do in their personal lives....I don't follow their lives, and when something hits the news I may think, "Oh, that's great of so-and-so" or perhaps "Yeck, what a lousy way to behave!" But it is a piece of not very important news and it floats out of my consciousness very quickly. And it has zero effect on whether I like or do not like their singing, or whatever.

I don't get wrapped up in the lives of entertainer and celebrities. I used to associate this with teenagers, but it seems to have become something that absorbs many adults nowadays. I am baffled by all the passionate fascination with Prince Harry and his wife Megan. I cannot fathom the degree of love/hate that people focus on this couple.

Much of what Elnina wrote resonates with me.

Bottom line for me goes right back to the beginning I don't understand it.

Old Today, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

As far as what these people do in their personal lives....I don't follow their lives, and when something hits the news I may think, "Oh, that's great of so-and-so" or perhaps "Yeck, what a lousy way to behave!" But it is a piece of not very important news and it floats out of my consciousness very quickly. And it has zero effect on whether I like or do not like their singing, or whatever.

I don't get wrapped up in the lives of entertainer and celebrities. I used to associate this with teenagers, but it seems to have become something that absorbs many adults nowadays. I am baffled by all the passionate fascination with Prince Harry and his wife Megan. I cannot fathom the degree of love/hate that people focus on this couple.

Bottom line for me goes right back to the beginning I don't understand it.
Ita....but there are so many people that do.....& why there are so many internet celebrities & so many love or hate comments on celebrity feeds like Taylor Swift....Gwyneth Paltrow ...and the time spent following them or hating them for what they do.........

It just makes no sense to me either.

Old Today, 02:16 PM

194 posts, read 34,017 times
Dunno, to me it feels like internet has just massively changed what people think of as a community.
Before people would do the exact same thing but in a smaller scale. now the world is your neighborhood.

Instead of talking about Paula the weird lady that always fights with her drug addicted boyfriend you talk about the Kardashians.

I don't think it means too much. Entertainment has changed, but as you grow up, you start realizing that social media is fun and all but it's only a means to an end. People end up using it only to keep in touch with old friends in my age group.
I rarely use FB, and when I do, it's only to speak with friends in other countries.

I would guess that all the reasons you listed are also part of the reason of this change in societal dynamics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or