U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 03:42 PM

8,323 posts, read 6,098,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Why is it when someone knows everything about music, he/she is "cool", but if that person knows all about tv shows, movies, he/she just "watches too much tv"?
I don't notice that as much today. But i can see that.

I think with music, it is such a large part of life and has been around longer than TV and movies. So that can play a part in that. Music is almost as old as humanity itself. Meanwhile, television is comparatively still in its infancy.

It really depends on who you are around. Maybe you're around people that do not watch as much TV.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 02:35 PM

868 posts, read 210,936 times
if it wasn't about seen as "cool" it wouldn't matter. people enjoy what they enjoy, and it then it's about opinions, anyway. to each their own.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 PM

10,791 posts, read 12,851,100 times
Which is cooler?

1. Dancing
2. Lounging on a couch in your pajamas with an open bag of Cheetos

Old 08-05-2019, 02:43 PM

12,112 posts, read 7,437,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In very general terms I think it is because music is artistic, writing is artistic, TV seldom has any artistry to it.

I've got to disagree on this one.

There is artistry in animation, and animation has always been on TV, with constantly evolving quality and new technology to produce it. Gonna say there's no artistry involved over at Jim Henson Studios? And when I was a teenager (the mid-90's) there were videos on MTV that were gorgeous and brilliant and most definitely works of art to go along with the musical art present in them as well. More recently there have been things like Game of Thrones, which is a production to rival the quality of any film I've ever seen in my life, let alone the sheer scope of it, and precious little productions like Good Omens, or Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Which were BASED on the art form that is writing, and adapted to some degree or other of faithfulness, to the screen.

Many (not all, certainly, but many) actors elevate their trade to an art form, to say nothing of the screenwriters, the craftspeople who build the sets, the costume designers and makeup artists, the camera and lighting crews and so on. There are many people involved in the creation of TV shows whose talent I would certainly place higher than many star musicians who have gained great fame as "artists."

Old 08-05-2019, 06:30 PM

10,791 posts, read 12,851,100 times
Personally I think it's because music has such a positive influence on a person's spirits. It can really lift up your mood, unlike movies and TV.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:33 PM

541 posts, read 603,006 times
Quote:
In very general terms I think it is because music is artistic, writing is artistic, TV seldom has any artistry to it.
That’s changing. TV as a “format”, hour long episodes, etc., has been getting good for 20 years, and that’s now being recognized.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:16 PM

32,146 posts, read 20,267,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've got to disagree on this one.

There is artistry in animation, and animation has always been on TV, with constantly evolving quality and new technology to produce it. Gonna say there's no artistry involved over at Jim Henson Studios? And when I was a teenager (the mid-90's) there were videos on MTV that were gorgeous and brilliant and most definitely works of art to go along with the musical art present in them as well. More recently there have been things like Game of Thrones, which is a production to rival the quality of any film I've ever seen in my life, let alone the sheer scope of it, and precious little productions like Good Omens, or Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Which were BASED on the art form that is writing, and adapted to some degree or other of faithfulness, to the screen.

Many (not all, certainly, but many) actors elevate their trade to an art form, to say nothing of the screenwriters, the craftspeople who build the sets, the costume designers and makeup artists, the camera and lighting crews and so on. There are many people involved in the creation of TV shows whose talent I would certainly place higher than many star musicians who have gained great fame as "artists."

I'm going to agree with you, and still stand by my previous points. There ARE artistic occurrences on TV, but in general? Idiot box. I'm talking overall percentage of content.

If we really wanted to delve into it, we could say the same about movies, and top 40, and book series. I'm am talking in broad generalities though.

Art can be with anything, but whether or not it is used that way... meh.

Not knocking "low brow" TV, I watch my fair share.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-06-2019, 09:53 AM

12,112 posts, read 7,437,635 times
Quote:
I'm going to agree with you, and still stand by my previous points. There ARE artistic occurrences on TV, but in general? Idiot box. I'm talking overall percentage of content.

If we really wanted to delve into it, we could say the same about movies, and top 40, and book series. I'm am talking in broad generalities though.

Art can be with anything, but whether or not it is used that way... meh.

Not knocking "low brow" TV, I watch my fair share.
OK yeah, I've got to say that the traditional model of "here's your programming, consume what is on right now" is in its death throes. Despite some still enjoying "low brow TV" as you put it, I think that at the very least, the streaming model is catching on like a wildfire. Cable TV is in big trouble, and no wonder...I still have it (for the moment) and I can sit there going through the guide, I'd say 99% of what's there I will never watch. Costs an awful lot, for so much garbage.

But I agree that a lot of music, a lot of books, a lot of movies...I just don't care about. And heck, there's a lot of "art", like visual art, paintings and such... Ever gone to an art museum and stood there wondering if that weird bunch of splatters is hanging on the wall because it was made by an elephant or a gorilla? No? A person made this? An actual adult? And someone paid them? I mean, I'm an artist, and there have been many times I just don't get it. When there is a lack of both technical skill, and original ideas, in a work of "art" then I think it's time to call into question, its merits as such.

But honestly I think that much of the "cool" or "not cool" factor, is in basic social isolation as a feature of being very into TV.

Unlike movies, you enjoy it at home.
You don't go to a theater or a gallery or a concert to see it.
It requires your full attention, unlike music, which you can enjoy while driving or dancing etc.

You know it's funny, when I was a kid, watching TV was a family activity. People did it together. Nowadays though, when I think of people who watch a ton of TV, I often think of people sitting at home in isolation. I know that's not entirely true at all, but it's definitely a...a thing. I wonder if TV can be pointed to, as playing a part in our American culture of isolation, where people no longer engage so much with community or extended family...which I believe personally, is very unhealthy not just for individuals but families and society in general. We don't engage with the village when we sit staring at the box.

No matter if we are watching the Kardashians, or NOVA.

Old Today, 02:29 AM

1,660 posts, read 764,484 times
Movie ticket sales are declining, but music is as popular as ever and so is TV when you count streaming. And I do think being well-versed in current Netflix shows carries a similar social prestige as knowing about current mainstream and underground music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or