Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:34 AM

506 posts, read 510,311 times

Advertisements

Why is it when someone knows everything about music, he/she is "cool", but if that person knows all about tv shows, movies, he/she just "watches too much tv"?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:40 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
Why do people "always" ask questions that are full of absolutes and they "never" look at the continuum of attitudes and feelings?

Let's flip it around. Let's say you're a rocker or classical music lover and you don't like rap. How would you compare a high school drop out rap lover with someone who only watches History Channel, Discovery Channel, or more cerebral "films"?

Old 07-29-2019, 04:07 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Why is it when someone knows everything about music, he/she is "cool", but if that person knows all about tv shows, movies, he/she just "watches too much tv"?
Because music is something that is often enjoyed in the company of friends, as in going out to concerts, or listening to it in the car together or even playing instruments together in a band...there is some social capital involved. And as people do often segregate based on musical taste, or their musical taste is part of their identity, starting around high school on, the more kinds of music you like, the more connections you can make. And music doesn't necessarily make people behave in ways that are disengaged from others that they are in company with at the time.

Whereas past a certain point, watching "a lot" of shows or movies, while you COULD be watching them with other people, odds are you aren't. Not if it's a LOT. And it is isolating in terms of the fact that even if you and a loved one are watching a movie or show, you're likely giving it (not one another) your full attention. One recommendation that marriage counselors often make for couples who end up not having much sex, is to take the TV out of the bedroom, or to make the bedroom a screen free zone.

So...what is "cool?" Usually, it refers to social acceptability or social capital. So if one of these things seems to easily promote it and the other indicates that you are probably a reclusive homebody... Which one is cool? Now obviously exceptions can be made if you're part of a fan community for some show or movie franchise and the more you know, the more geek cred you get over it. But those communities pretty much take pride in being on the fringe, it's part of the fun of being IN them. In a sense, it IS "cool" to be this kind of a geek now, but only mainly because they are coming together as groups, and...socializing. Yeah. There it is again.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:34 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Not here. If you want to be a part of the conversation, you need to know about TV shows, more than movies actually.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
I never noticed that at all. I'm pretty sure I've had more conversations about TV/movies than music. This is similar to what I've observed with others too. Ex. at my former workplace when I used to eat in the lunchroom we hardly ever talked about music, but we sometimes talked about TV or movies.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Not here. If you want to be a part of the conversation, you need to know about TV shows, more than movies actually.
It probably depends upon "part of the conversation "with who. In any social group that I can think back on people talked about music, TV, movies, current events. The conversation moved from topic to topic. I stopped watching TV regularly in the mid-70s, so those turns were rest breaks for me.

What I noticed was that at work the conversations among many co-workers were overwhelmingly about TV, much less about movies and very little about music of any kind. And not much else. But, having said that, the African-Americans at work did sometimes talk about music, and when I came across such conversations I joined in.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:28 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I dunno. Just my experience that people who know a lot about music are often musicians. And people who know a lot about television shows watch those shows but do not create any.

Just my experience as I am a musician.

The African-American kids at work have opened my eyes to all kinds of lesser-known rap artists. Or at least not so mainstream or lesser known to some old white lady lol. There’s some amazing stuff out there but I will never ever get with auto tune . Yuck.

Kids at work make up their own raps. It’s more of a participant thing than watching television.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
I didn’t think it that way. People listen to music and watch tv for entertainment, and there is no right or wrong just because you are obsess with it.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
In very general terms I think it is because music is artistic, writing is artistic, TV seldom has any artistry to it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-01-2019, 12:59 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:

I think the whole premise is wrong. Or maybe it's the friends that I have...but many of us are as 'keen' to talk about the latest episode of Walking Dead, or we're asking each other what's the latest thing they've seen on Netflix or Amazon, and making recommendations back and forth.

And regarding movies...in MY experience (maybe not applicable all across the board) I live with, work with, and socialize with a lot of guys. If you know everything about the Avengers...you'll be golden. If you've ever enjoyed a movie based on a comic book, you're golden. No one in my circles (except me maybe) wants to see "The Notebook" for example.

SOOO, it's quite possible, OP, that the problem is more due to your social circle than what's actually cool or not.

And I'm not discounting music AT ALL. I love music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology